NEWS

Alcohol Addicition

• 16 Replies

omodonmajiri

• Newb
« on: <08-25-12/0755:12> »
Hello everyone! New to the boards and just wanted some quick advice. I have a player who has and Moderate addiction to  Alcohol in my game. We have found a great way to role play this out, but I was hoping for some mechanic advice. Maybe some ideas on when he is drunk this should happen. I have gave him a few negatives to dice pools here and there, but it just doesn't seem enough. I don't know maybe just making it more complicated than it should? Suggestions?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <08-25-12/0829:04> »
Just remember, grabbing a drink, doesn't mean he's drunk. Unless he's drinking straight absinthe like it was water, of course.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-25-12/1104:04> »
There are stats for Hurlg in Arsenal. Alcohol should probably do the same thing but just require a larger dose.

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-25-12/1106:09> »
alcohol addiction can hardly be put in mechanics because everyone lives it out differently...
you could of course look up the rules for drugs and make alcohol a drug with all the stats they have...
or make up your own rules...

we usually do stuff like make a Body Test for the first drink a Body -1 Test for the second drink... and so on
when you fail the 1st test the penalty resets to 0 (for the next drink) and you achieved level 1 of drunkeness
and then you go again untill you hit lvl 2

when you hit lvl 3 throw an additional willpower test with each drink ... if you fail you puke

imho intuition should be penalized progressively and later on agility too as well as intelligence

drunkness lvls:
1: slowed reflexes, you feel good, this is the state of drunkness that you want to have in a relaxed round with friends)
2: you really go out of yourself... you tell stories you otherwise wouldn't tell and you are starting to act embarrassing but don't notice it yourself, also you start to walk in non linear ways
3: drunk... you don't walk straight anymore you can't control the volume of your voice (or don't care too) depending on your psyche you tend to get agressive or maybe shut in
4: you won't remember anything that happens past this point and probably loose most of the memories that happened during step 3
5: hospital... or you better hope someone get's you there because if not...

still there are different kinds of alcoholics... those wo constantly float a low alcohol lvl, those that get wasted every evening and I don't know how many more...
Speech - Thought - Matrix
Characters: Andy - Andys rolls

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #4 on: <08-26-12/1808:37> »
Addiction can be a tough thing to RP as the problem is addictions are not just limited to the physical impairment but the social impacts too. Most alcoholics, especially one in the middle but not true 'burnout fall over drunk' like I see in the ED all the time are likely not going to even notice an 'average' quantity of substance. They'll more likely notice an absence of it. And if the addiction gets worse, that'll even be more true as there will come a point where the character HAS to have booze in their system or they starting to have physical issues because their body can't handle being sober. (Withdrawal is an ugly, ugly thing)

Social modifiers due to just a surliness or the Johnson smelling the hard booze on their breath at a meeting could also be a mechanical disadvantage. Even if the character isn't impaired from the two drinks, the appearance of being a hard core drinker could be negatively impactful.

Also could start to eat into the character's time and activities, which depending on how the character operates might impact contacts. Jim has stopped being available to go clubbing/AR VIdeo game night/driving/scouting the city for upcoming run/etc because he's making liquor runs or down at the bar instead.

Might also hit it as a life style cost. If character has a Low lifestyle but at that addiction level might need the medium lifestyle aspects that covers drinking (if you use the advanced life style rules) or just take on a 5-10% cost increase due to volume, especially if the character is a 'quality' drinker and not just downing jet fuel.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-29-12/0058:47> »
moderate is like a 5 point disadvantage how much do you want to kick him in the jimmy over that, and do you do the same for every 5 point disadvantage?  I mean I know I make sure the guy who took incompetent driving ground vehicles is forced behind the wheel of a car in a high speed chase every run. 

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #6 on: <08-29-12/1342:23> »
moderate is like a 5 point disadvantage how much do you want to kick him in the jimmy over that, and do you do the same for every 5 point disadvantage?  I mean I know I make sure the guy who took incompetent driving ground vehicles is forced behind the wheel of a car in a high speed chase every run.

Addition is a little different, and people forget there are different types (in addition to levels). The guy who wakes up with a beer or 2 and goes to bed with a 2 or 3, never drunk, everyday, is just as much of an addict as the guy who has pants-pissing drunk benders once a week. Neither can imagine life, ir function, without their fix, and both a drinking a case or two of beer a week.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-29-12/2340:56> »

Addition is a little different, and people forget there are different types (in addition to levels). The guy who wakes up with a beer or 2 and goes to bed with a 2 or 3, never drunk, everyday, is just as much of an addict as the guy who has pants-pissing drunk benders once a week. Neither can imagine life, ir function, without their fix, and both a drinking a case or two of beer a week.

No, addiction at a moderate level is a 5 point disadvantage and it should be treated as such.  If you roleplay the disadvantage that is pretty much handling the 5 point part, there is no reason to add more on top of it.  Your personal belief on what addiction is in real life should not enter into the equation. 

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #8 on: <08-30-12/0207:20> »
My point is in their being different types. And "personal belief" is more "I now work in a bar". I've seen a bunch of types.

And actually, if someone takes Incompetent: Driving, at some point I am gonna make sure he is behind the wheel. Not often, maybe just once, but it will come up eventually unless he has a good way out of it.

Edit: It's all in storytelling. If hilarity or plot device ensues, players tend to appreciate the hurdle.
« Last Edit: <08-30-12/0946:41> by ArkangelWinter »

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #9 on: <08-30-12/0704:50> »
...addiction at a moderate level is a 5 point disadvantage and it should be treated as such...

Hey, small error there. Mild is the 5 point Negative Quality. Moderate is -10 BP.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-01-12/1357:31> »
...addiction at a moderate level is a 5 point disadvantage and it should be treated as such...

Hey, small error there. Mild is the 5 point Negative Quality. Moderate is -10 BP.

Oops you are right, but the basic point stands.  Don't treat it like real world problem X, treat it like the 5-10-15 point disadvantage it is.  At all levels it is need substance every X time period or Y happens. If the person role plays it on top of that, getting surly when he does not have a drink always having a drink at every scripted meal etc. you are in the bonus point lands. 

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #11 on: <09-02-12/0336:52> »

Oops you are right, but the basic point stands.  Don't treat it like real world problem X, treat it like the 5-10-15 point disadvantage it is.  At all levels it is need substance every X time period or Y happens. If the person role plays it on top of that, getting surly when he does not have a drink always having a drink at every scripted meal etc. you are in the bonus point lands.

Agreed.

Personally, I'd say the point value should be based on how severely the addiction impairs your function: The 5-point Mild should be the "maintenance drinker"... a guy who drinks to self-medicate his stress, but never gets "smashed". The 10-point Moderate is a notable lush, but who is still "functional." They adore getting drunk, but can stay sober enough to work. Severe, for 20 points, is the stereotypical "drunkard"; someone who has crawled so far in the bottle, that you can't remember the last time you've seen them sober.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-03-12/1734:55> »
The biggest problem with alcohol is that it does what exactly in game terms?

You're either under the drugs effects and suffering penalties... or you're not and suffering the addiction penalties.   It's not like a combat drug which hands you benefits while under it's influence and penalties when you're exposed or lack the drug for a while.

The only thing I can think to do is make a straight edge(1 mild, or 2 moderate) test to see if you're either drunk, or suffering from the addiction at any randomly chosen time.  Or to otherwise apply the penalty any time the player is trying to stay sober in a social situation like a bar or party where the booze is flowing.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-27-15/0418:37> »
The bots are sure becoming more believable with every wasting year.  ::)
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-27-15/0432:11> »
Yeah, it was even on topic (almost... unless we're talking about Shadowrunners entering an Urban Brawl tourney)
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor