NEWS

The current Metaplots

• 386 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #30 on: <08-05-12/1306:37> »
The problem is, that there just aren't enough of the Dragons to make them a threat. Not to the world.

Thtas delusional. Two dragons showed the powr to raze whole metroplex (tehran) of to kill tens of thousands with single spell.
There is no moment in 6th world history, that had seen two or more dragons cooperating, or at least attacking with their fuill power at one moment, one place... IMO such attack (and Im talking about two greats) would be equal to power level Oeration Reciprocity had. But Dragons wont stop to do politics...

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <08-05-12/1341:51> »
I forgot about Firewings. You're right, fighter jets brought her down, and this was soon after the Awakening, so they didn't have any magical support. But then, Firewings was insane at the time and just kind of rampaging randomly, so she wasn't exactly fighitng smart.

Last we heard, Arleesh was hunting down imps hiding in artifacts. It's possible that her overall mission is to track down and eliminate Horror-tainted items... the behavior of "imps" reminds me of how certain Horrors operate.

Schwartzkopf is kind of the only great dragon who's easy to get ahold of on short notice, since he teaches at a university. This actually kind of dealt me a curve ball when I was GMing recently. ("What are you going to do, show up to his office hours?" "Sure! Why not?" "...You're joking." "I can astrally project there." "...Oh, fine. This should be interesting.")

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <08-05-12/1408:47> »
Last we heard, Arleesh was hunting down imps hiding in artifacts. It's possible that her overall mission is to track down and eliminate Horror-tainted items... the behavior of "imps" reminds me of how certain Horrors operate.

Book/s on this?

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-05-12/1418:40> »
I'm told that Arleesh shows up to grab an imp-infested artifact in Bottled Demon, and I've seen vague mentions of Arleesh's mission in Dunkelzhan's Will, Running Wild and probably Dragons of the Sixth World.

sds

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <08-05-12/1432:14> »
One of the runs in Jet Set has conections to Arleesh.

[spoiler]In The Dragn Slayer, the items in question - which house spirits hostile to metahumanity is purposedly sold by Arleesh to metahumans. Just to, you know show them that they need Dragons[/spoiler]

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #35 on: <08-05-12/1850:31> »
Well, back in the Earthdawn days, the Therans killed at least three great dragons, just in Barsaive. And they didn't have things like Thor shots to rely on, just large groups of battle-mages sitting on top of chunks of mountain kept in the air by the blood of slaves.

Which may help give some background as to why the dragons tend to dislike the number one blood magic group on the planet, Aztechnology.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <08-05-12/2200:07> »
Yep. They sent a task force of three behemoths (which are like flying fortresses, in that they were fortresses that freaking flew) to kill three great dragons, because they didn't like that the dragons were teaching people how to build shelters against the Horrors; the Therans had a monopoly on that magic among metahumans, and wanted to everyone to pay them in cash and slaves for the right to survive. The Therans had the most powerful metahuman mages in the world at a time that the manacycle was at its peak, an army that was 10% adepts, and banks of magitek fire cannons. They ambushed and killed two of their targets still in their lairs, but lost one behemoth in the process. The third target--we know him now as Ghostwalker--was gone when they got there, along with all his stuff.

Soon afterwards, three dozen prominent Theran citizens who had agitated for or profited from the strike on the dragons are found mysteriously dead. Ghostwalker was seen perched casually on a statue just outside the Theran capital, just to make sure they knew who did it. Dragons don't fight fair.

The third great dragon to be killed by the Therans was Vasdenjas, who took the hit on purpose to protect the airship Earthdawn during the battle of Skypoint. The alliance of local kingdoms and dragons still destroyed Skypoint, a naval base in the form of a city-sized platform intended for the aforementioned behemoths to land on, and drove the Therans out of the region.

You can kill a great dragon, but it isn't easy or cheap... and God help you if you miss the first shot, because you won't get a second one.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <08-05-12/2209:39> »
Schwartzkopf is kind of the only great dragon who's easy to get ahold of on short notice, since he teaches at a university. This actually kind of dealt me a curve ball when I was GMing recently. ("What are you going to do, show up to his office hours?" "Sure! Why not?" "...You're joking." "I can astrally project there." "...Oh, fine. This should be interesting.")

I like your group. Have a +1 by connectivity. :)

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <08-06-12/0008:52> »
Ghostwalker was seen perched casually on a statue just outside the Theran capital, just to make sure they knew who did it.

Not just a statue. The Sphynx.

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <08-06-12/0030:28> »
Yeah, I didn't want to go off on a tangent about what the Theran Sphinx was, so I just left it at "statue." The important part was that GW made it clear that he was responsible and that as far as he was concerned, penetrating Theran territory ain't nothing but a thing, but that particular choice of perch had a certain symbolic weight.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <08-06-12/0145:19> »
And now...what was that Theran Sphinx? :)

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <08-06-12/0237:07> »
I had a feeling that was coming.  :)

Working from memory here 'cause I'm away from my books, so hopefully I won't flub any details.

Basically, one of the founders of Thera hadn't liked how things had gone from "Let's form a center of learning to translate the Books of Harrow so the world can prepare for this coming disaster!" to "Let's use our knowledge of how to protect against the Horrors to force everyone to swear fealty to us to survive and run our ubermagic on the blood of slaves they send us and CONQUER THE WORLD!" He finally reached his limit when he heard the rumors going around that the ruler of Thera might soon drop the pretense and change his title from "First Governor" to "Emperor". So after calling them all out on their drek, he had a bunch of earth elementals build a massive statue of a sphinx glaring at the capital city, then he and elementals all merged themselves with the Sphinx. The Therans feared that he was still watching them from wthin the Sphinx, waiting for them to go too far, and if they did then the Sphinx would come to life and punish them for their hubris. And since then, no First Governor has dared to call himself Emperor.

So Icewing (the name of Ghostwalker in that era) being perched on the Sphinx of all things was either a reminder of how corrupt the Therans had become and that their unchecked ambition would have consequences... or, if the Sphinx really is capable of coming to life, indicated that Icewing's retaliatory strikes had the tacit approval of the last uncorrupted founding father of Thera. Either way, symbolically quite potent. The Therans backed off, for the next few centuries at least.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <08-06-12/0319:51> »

That sounds like something my group would do...

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #43 on: <08-06-12/0512:29> »
"Let's use our knowledge of how to protect against the Horrors to force everyone to swear fealty to us to survive and run our ubermagic on the blood of slaves they send us and CONQUER THE WORLD!"

When you put it that way, the first thing that came to my mind was: "Hey, Thera was the very first Megacorp!" :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #44 on: <08-06-12/0520:59> »
"Let's use our knowledge of how to protect against the Horrors to force everyone to swear fealty to us to survive and run our ubermagic on the blood of slaves they send us and CONQUER THE WORLD!"

When you put it that way, the first thing that came to my mind was: "Hey, Thera was the very first Megacorp!" :)
And they were into evil drek the Azzies haven't even DREAMED of yet.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters