NEWS

Reagents and Foci

• 6 Replies

Sonarean

• Newb
« on: <10-01-10/2313:13> »
When enchanting your own fetishes/talismans you spend one refined or radical reagent per point of force.  (SM pg. 81)

When enchanting your own ritual components you spend four refined or two radical reagents per point of force.  (SM pg. 81)

But it doesn't say how many reagents you use when enchanting foci either in the book or in the errata.  Does anyone have numbers for those?

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-02-10/0521:41> »
I think it is because each focus requires a more specific formula so it could vary from focus to focus depending on type of focus rating and if you are using any special items ie blood of a dragon or an ancient sword for a weapon focus.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Sonarean

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-02-10/1657:23> »
I agree the specific formula is going to be different, but shouldn't there at least be some sort of guideline?  Say, 8 refined or 4 radical per point.

Also, why would someone use the more expensive reagents?
Specifically looking at pages 185-186 of SM.  Why would someone use venom at 600 nuyen/unit over blood at 50 nuyen/unit?  Are these just included for thematic/roleplay elements?

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-02-10/2117:27> »
That is part of the formula idea and why there isn't a set of x regents or y radicals per point. You might be able to find a formula that uses 1 unit of venom or 6 units of blood, 1 of feathers and an ounce of gold for example.

The making of your own focus (either yourself or by a "friend") opens up so so many mission ideas for me as a GM. I had a whole series of adventures that the team ended up in the middle of three magic groups trying to complete a unique focus. Nothing like getting hired to steal something from the people you just delivered it to.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Catadmin

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
  • Is this Kansas?
« Reply #4 on: <10-04-10/1953:26> »
Late to the conversation, but SM pg 83 (1st paragraph) states that a focus does NOT dictate telesma quality. So you can use mundane ingredients in a foci. Depending on what you want to do with it, though, it could require something more exotic.

Discuss it with the GM to see what sort of reagents you might need. I'm sure it'll be defined by what you want your foci to do.
Brandie Tarvin
Author / DBA / SR Freelancer
blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.net
Twitter: WannaBeWriter06

Now Available - Space Tramps (Flying Pen Press) and Latchkeys Unlatched (on Kindle and Nook)

Carz

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <10-06-10/0119:59> »
But it doesn't say how many reagents you use when enchanting foci either in the book or in the errata.  Does anyone have numbers for those?

Try SM pg 84, Crafting Foci section. Looks to me like including reagents is optional and used to gain bonus dice on the enchanting process.

Or the Optional Rule on pg 83, where glitches on the formula crafting make exotic reagents a requirement for the formula.
The Aztechnology ziggurat is imposing in only the way corporate architecture mixed with a an ancient culture renown for its human sacrifice could be. Its hard to really determine which is more chilling, though... the ancient bloody past or modern soulless technology.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <10-08-10/0443:36> »
Enchanting a focus is a tricky thing to do, using exotics and radicals makes the process somewhat easier.

There also is a thing with if you glitch when making the fomular you might need exotic items just to get it to work which is mostly a GM thing.

"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"