Author Topic: An Archive of Adepts - Walking the Ways  (Read 38804 times)

Aria

• Ace Runner
An Archive of Adepts - Walking the Ways
« on: (08:44:20/04-03-12) »
Anarchy

With the new rules comes some new opportunities for making adepts...and much faster!  Here are a few I've come up with so far...and they may inspire me to create their full SR5 version at some point.

Runner
<<Cam>> Ghoul Swordmaster
<<Briar>> Human Matrix Adept
<<Linnet>> Troll Invisible Adept

SR5

To my mind adepts are one of the most versatile archetypes in SR, potentially covering a multitude of paths and different roles on a team.  I’ve started re-organising the SR5 archive around the Ways now that I have a number of different adepts statted up.  Any thoughts or comments are very welcome!

The adepts here don’t necessarily have the ‘Way’ that they have been listed under but I’ve grouped them under the category that seems to best fit their mindset.

Artisan’s Way
<<Song>> AR Hacker Adept [Sum-10] Note: she predates Data Trails so could probably do with a refresh
<<Jackdaw>> Pixie Hacker [Sum-10]

Artist's Way
<<Festivale>>  Phoenix Mysad, Singer and Face [Sum-10]
<<Midnight>> Cat Changeling Performer [Sum-10]
<<Cobweb>> Human Dancer & Socialite [Sum-10]

Athlete’s Way
<<Spite>> Human Dancer Adept [Sum-6]
<<Kit>> Elven Parkour Adept [Sum-10]
<<Corsair>> Orc Dancer [Sum-10]

Beast's Way
<<Feral>> Human Wolf Adept [Sum-10 Prime]

Burnout's Way
<<Watcher>> Human Anthropologist turned Infiltrator [Sum-10]

Invisible Way
Kit’s sister <<Kat>> Elven Cat Burglar  [Sum-10]

Magician’s Way
<<Satire>> Dryad Harlequin Mime [Sum-10]
<<Switch>> Changeling Telekinetic Mysad [Sum-10]
<<Spriggan>> Changeling Mysad [Sum-10]
<<Blossom>> Gnome Anti-mage [Sum-10]

Speaker's Way
<<Ethereal>> Dryad Warder [Sum-10 Prime]

Spiritual Way
<<Serenity>> Free Drake Summoner [800 Point Buy]

Warrior's Way
<<Cam>> Human Steampunk Swordsman [Sum-6]
<<Kiss>> Harlequin Whip Adept [Sum-10]
<<Stormcrow>> Human Jedi Wannabee [Sum-10]

Way of the Pattern* My own creation loosely based on old Earthdawn lore and the Magician’s Way rules
<<Silkie>> Human Social adept [Sum-6]
<<Echo>> Elven Nerve Strike Adept [Sum-10]
<<Silk>> Changeling Infiltrator turned Infobroker [Sum-10+Karma]

Other people's SR5 adepts
<<Alok>> Cyber-Dave's Elven archer
<<Prism>> Dinendae's Troll hacker
<<Derren Smith>> Csjarret's Human combat adept
<<Mikal>> 8-bit's Dwarf Beast Way adept
<<Muscle>> 8-bit's Troll Burnout Way adept [high life build]
<<Sharktooth>> Shrazkil's Dwarf Chaos mysad
<<Jack>> Human Spiritual Way adept
<<Hawatari>> Wyrm Ouroboros' Legendary adept
<<Crash>> Kuirem's Troll Biker Adept

SR4
[spoiler]
I love adepts, they are by far my favourite SR character and I’ve played lots of them over the years and the choices have only become more varied with SR4.  What follows are links to at least one adept type for every Way, and sometimes more than one, mostly for my own benefit but some might be useful to other people.  Some have developed with karma from their starting point (additions are marked in red) and some are starting characters …although a word of warning, some are more optimised than others and reflect my personal tastes (if you want truly impressive adept builds check out UmaroVI’s archetypes, I’ve linked them here with UmaroVI’s permission). 

Where the adept doesn’t have the Way quality I have listed them under the category that most closely reflects their mental outlook, in my opinion at least.

I have tried to avoid creating adepts that all use the same powers (after all there are enough that it should be relatively easy to avoid repetition) but there are certain powers that will make more than one appearance because they are ideally suited to running…any suggestions on ways to mix things up would be great!  A number of these builds have already been scrutinised here on the forums and I’ve tried to incorporate people’s suggestions where possible.  I’ve highlighted in blue characters that haven’t been commented on…just in case anyone wants to wade in.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions very much appreciated!  And if you have a striking adept build that you would like me to list here then send me a link and I’ll post it alongside mine (with full credit to you of course).  Other peoples’ adepts are highlighted in red.

And I’ll keep on adding adepts as they are completed…plenty more to share!

Artisan’s Way
•   <<Silk>> Changeling augmented Pattern adept & infiltrator with a smattering of matrix skills.  400BPs with 50+ karma
•   <<Angelus>>Human VR Hacker. 400BPs
•   <<Key>>Human AR Hacker & infiltrator.  400BPs
•   <<Pixel>> Xarin's Pixie drone rigger and inspiration for Opium below.  400BPs+ karma
•   <<Jackrabbit>> SwampFox's wheelman/smuggler.  400BPs+ significant karma

Artist's Way
•   <<Toymaker>> Troll Enchanter and tech tinkerer. 400BPs concept character
•   <<Brand>> Human dancer, master of disguise and part time terrorist.  400BPs

Athlete’s Way
•   <<Rush>> Human dancer and acrobat.  Gymnastics feats coupled with Face skills.  400BPs
•   <<Scratch>> Human free-runner, gang runner & courier.  Focused on gymnastic feats.  Written for a low power game.  400BPs
•   <<Kit & Kat>> Elven couriers and info dealers. Twin concept characters.  400BPs

Invisible Way
•   <<Opium>> Pixie rigger who interacts with the world solely through her drones.  400BPs + karma
•   <<Cinnamon>> Drake Infiltrator. 400BPs
•   <<Mouse>> Human pickpocket. Written for a low power game.  400BPs
•   <<Rattrap>> SwampFox's Human Infiltrator.  400BPs + significant karma

Magician’s Way
•   <<Bale>> Human augmented combat and surveillance mage.  400BPs + karma
•   <<Mirror>> Human null mage.  400BPs
•   <<Maus>> _Pax_'s mystic adept, face abilities and flashy magic. 400BPs for a low powered game.
•   Transhuman Mystic UmaroVI’s Dwarf cybered mystic adept focused on magically-enhanced physical combat and B&E.  400BPs

Speaker's Way
•   <<Velvet>> Vampire, anti-vampire campaigner.  Focused on social and unarmed skills.  400BPs
•   <<Picasso>>  Elven unaugmented face with disguise skills.  400BPs
•   Negotiator UmaroVI’s Elf cybered adept with a mix of social and physical combat skills. 400BPs

Totem's Way
•   <<Relic>> Orc archer, neo-primitive & eco terrorist using archery and survival skills.  400BPs
•   <<Nightstalker>> Makki's Shinto adept face.  400BPs

Warrior's Way
•   <<Switch>> Human mystic adept, telekenetic.  Focused on knife fighting and secondary social skills.  400BPs
•   <<Hellion>> Human augmented adept (inspired by X-23), former Ordo Maximus enforcer, magical spurs with secondary infiltrator skills. 400BPs
•   <<Domino>> Elven augmented blade master, former Paladin in training.  Blades and secondary social skills.  400BPs
•   <<Fade>> Elven ascetic.  Unarmed and secondary social skills.  400BPs
•   <<Tenchi>> SwampFox's Harumen gun bunny.  400BPs+ significant karma
•   Former Neoprimitive UmaroVI’s troll augmented adept who uses archaic throwing weapons to great effect. 400BPs
•   Gunslinger UmaroVI’s human augmented adept focused on mastery of pistols.  400BPs
•   Martial Artist UmaroVI’s troll augmented adept focused on melee combat and social skills. 400BPs

Burnout's Way
•   <<Escapade>> Human augmented adept, face with secondary infiltrator skills. 400BPs[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: (08:18:18/11-08-16) by Aria »
Shadowrun Character Art
Archive of Adepts
Excel Character Generator <<CG5.19>> UPDATED Jul '17

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
Re: An Archive of Adepts - Walking the Ways
« Reply #1 on: (08:50:30/04-04-12) »
I'd like to suggest that all the augmented ones be moved into the 'Burnouts' list whether they have that Way mechanically chosen or not, as that is where they are headed.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: (09:05:19/04-04-12) »
I'd like to suggest that all the augmented ones be moved into the 'Burnouts' list whether they have that Way mechanically chosen or not, as that is where they are headed.

That's a heck of an assumption to make.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: (09:16:17/04-04-12) »
I always choose my 0.99 essence points wisely and plan ahead.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: (09:21:00/04-04-12) »
Check the second link in my sig for two new adepts (this time with actual ways), the Qi Master and the Bio-rigger. ;D

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #5 on: (12:32:07/04-04-12) »

Wow...
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: (12:35:18/04-04-12) »
Not sure I agree with that either...bioware is so prevelant and relatively essence friendly that a large number of adepts might seek a cheap boost to their powers.  I see Burnout as a much more extreme route.
Shadowrun Character Art
Archive of Adepts

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #7 on: (18:57:50/04-04-12) »
Not sure I agree with that either...bioware is so prevelant and relatively essence friendly that a large number of adepts might seek a cheap boost to their powers.  I see Burnout as a much more extreme route.

Exactly. Muscle Toner 4 + Muscle Enhancement 4 = 0.80 Essence at Standard Grade. +8 stat points for losing 1 Magic (therefore 1 PP), vs paying many times that for 8 points of IPA mostly over the natural limit. Only a diehard purist wouldn't take that deal.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: (19:42:02/04-04-12) »
Not to quibble, but standard grade Muscle Toner 4 and Muscle Augmentation 4 would be 0.80 Essence each, not together. But, yes, that opens up the possibility of +5 stat points for losing 1 point of Magic, which is far less expensive than what those improvements would cost in power points.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #9 on: (21:21:13/04-04-12) »
Not to quibble, but standard grade Muscle Toner 4 and Muscle Augmentation 4 would be 0.80 Essence each, not together. But, yes, that opens up the possibility of +5 stat points for losing 1 point of Magic, which is far less expensive than what those improvements would cost in power points.

*facepalm* You are indeed correct. Up until WotA hit I always took Type O System for my Adept builds, so I'm used to thinking in those terms.

Still, even 2 points of Magic for the full +8 is a pretty good deal. For 2 Essence you can, if you take it all as Alphaware, also squeeze in a Suprathyroid Gland. That brings it to +5 Agility, +5 Strength, +1 Reaction, +1 Body (and possibly maxed out IP boost) for the cost of 2 Magic.

Depending on how your GM rules on the subject, Type O System might also let you slip Synaptic Booster 3 into that package. I say it's up to the GM because, due to Standard and Basic being used differently in Augmentation than in SR4A, there's some ambiguity over whether Type O System covers Cultured Bioware. My GM says it does, and I agree, if only because that's the only way it's even close to being worth 30 BP.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #10 on: (23:57:40/04-04-12) »
I politely disagree, and just as politely suggest that if you really need to start up that argument again, you could do it in another thread instead of cluttering up this one.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: (12:42:14/04-11-12) »
Added Picasso in the Speaker's Way and Switch in the Warriors Way - enjoy!
Shadowrun Character Art
Archive of Adepts

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: (07:56:02/05-09-12) »
Fade, warrior adept added...I've also posted a second thread for any comments on him because he needs some work  ::)

EDIT: With Xarin's permission I've posted up Pixel, the inspiration for Opium, Pixie artisan adept
« Last Edit: (07:51:54/05-10-12) by Aria »
Shadowrun Character Art
Archive of Adepts

SwampFox

• Newb
  • This city is my Swamp, just try and dig me out.
« Reply #13 on: (21:44:45/05-10-12) »
I'd like to offer up my wheelman/Smuggler Jackrabbit for the list, though I'm not sure what Way he would fall under, as well as Rattrap for the Silent Way, and Tenchi my Haruman Combat Monster for the Warrior's Way.  All at 400 BP+Karma.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: (08:08:44/05-11-12) »
I'd like to offer up my wheelman/Smuggler Jackrabbit for the list, though I'm not sure what Way he would fall under, as well as Rattrap for the Silent Way, and Tenchi my Haruman Combat Monster for the Warrior's Way.  All at 400 BP+Karma.
Added for you :)  Is that The Dodger on Jackrabbit's contact list?
Shadowrun Character Art
Archive of Adepts