NEWS

Rep Log

• 93 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #30 on: <10-21-11/1127:03> »
I can go along with that, but as far as I know my character has never been published and I normally talk about my Dwarf not my technomancer.  I'm almost to -100 though.
There's a mod that would let people see who changed their karma, but messing with mods can be a pain.

Unless and until the site owner wants to mess with that, we'll live with recognizing there are idiots who abuse the system under cover of anonymity.
We've discussed the mod, but the problem is that everytime an update comes out, the mod would need to be updated as well.

heh... ninja'd by Agent Smith.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <10-21-11/1138:33> »
I can go along with that, but as far as I know my character has never been published and I normally talk about my Dwarf not my technomancer.  I'm almost to -100 though.
There's a mod that would let people see who changed their karma, but messing with mods can be a pain.

Unless and until the site owner wants to mess with that, we'll live with recognizing there are idiots who abuse the system under cover of anonymity.
We've discussed the mod, but the problem is that everytime an update comes out, the mod would need to be updated as well.

heh... ninja'd by Agent Smith.
Been there which is why the "unless and until".

Or unless and until Simple Machines integrates it into their standard options, of course. :)

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-21-11/1225:09> »
I'm really not all that worried about it.  I don't expect Arc to make it into the books, and Spyder should never make it into the books.  The only two characters that should make it into the books from my groups aren't mine.  One belongs to Mason, the other is Mongo, but I'll leave him for another thread.
Living the Electronic Dream

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #33 on: <10-21-11/1236:37> »
I know what you mean ARC. I've been on these forums for a whooping two days, made my second post a few minutes ago, and someone already knocked me to -1. No idea what for since my only posts have been commenting on what pistols I like and complimenting someone on an Equipment PACK.  Oh well...
I'd chalk it up to the fact that some posters out there don't like it when named characters are used as handles. If I had to guess, I'd say 100+ of my smites are because of them.

Hmm, that's unfortunate. I was using Argent as a street name back in the old IRC game run by Nigel.
Running the shadows since 1989.

Crash_00

« Reply #34 on: <10-21-11/1507:34> »
Another thing to keep in mind is that for some reason most people on the internet view ANY debate more like a spit in the face argument than a structured debate, no matter how nicely or concisely you put it. Generally, if you join into a debate that is longer than a few posts, you'll take negative rep.

Also, people will hit your rep if they think you've been hitting theirs. Most of my negative rep came out during three threads where I was arguing a point. Most of it came out after other posters made slighted comments about me hitting their rep, which I hadn't done (at that point at least). The only time I hand out a negative is if someone is in a debate with me and purposely overlooks a point I've made or just gets flat out hostile. I'm much freer with the positive, but I think I'm just old fashioned.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <10-21-11/1730:47> »
See, I agree with getting a log of at least which post it comes from, (though I know where at least one of my two neg did) just so I have a hint as to why I got the karma. Couldn't care less about the who. That just starts stupid internet wars. I want hints to the why, so I can think about if it was someone not liking my opinion, or if I was overly an ass. Hell, an optional 'reason here' form would be welcomed for either side of that, especially if it's annonymous.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #36 on: <10-22-11/1005:21> »
See, I agree with getting a log of at least which post it comes from, (though I know where at least one of my two neg did) just so I have a hint as to why I got the karma. Couldn't care less about the who. That just starts stupid internet wars. I want hints to the why, so I can think about if it was someone not liking my opinion, or if I was overly an ass. Hell, an optional 'reason here' form would be welcomed for either side of that, especially if it's annonymous.
The main problem is, without the person applauding/smiting you giving the details of why, this won't help. (S)He could be smiting you just because they don't like you, and it has nothing at all do with the post that the smite would be attached to. And once you ask them to provide a reason, then it no longer becomes anonymous (yes, it could be set so you don't see who it is, but if it records it in a database, it's probably going to record who did the smiting, so it would be possible to find out).

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #37 on: <10-22-11/1120:44> »
I smite FastJack five times a day because I'm a racist against blues.  Those damned, dirty, blues.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #38 on: <10-22-11/1316:16> »
why does he have blue nuyen, anyhow?

EDIT: You think Mason should make it into the books, Arc? That's real flattering, thanks!
Although, Arc could make it into a book once he snaps and tries to hack Zurich-Orbital with his army of collected digital beings trained to meet his commands, and SUCCEEDS! Do you think that goal can ever be realized?
« Last Edit: <10-22-11/1318:40> by Mason »

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <10-22-11/1414:15> »
Let me sum it up:

This forum has the worst rating system of any I've seen.  Including simple post counts.  Just roll with it either way :)

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #40 on: <10-22-11/1704:18> »
We could have a system where you use 10 Applauds to buy off a Smite. No, wait, I think I've seen a system like that somewhere...  ;)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #41 on: <10-23-11/0139:33> »

EDIT: You think Mason should make it into the books, Arc? That's real flattering, thanks!
Although, Arc could make it into a book once he snaps and tries to hack Zurich-Orbital with his army of collected digital beings trained to meet his commands, and SUCCEEDS! Do you think that goal can ever be realized?
It's that whole "Global Moderator" thing... You get dyed blue and it don't wash off.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #42 on: <10-23-11/0247:52> »

It's that whole "Global Moderator" thing... You get dyed blue and it don't wash off.

So, nothing to do with the Smurfs?

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #43 on: <10-23-11/0834:53> »

And here I was thinking it was like the men with blue hands in the Firefly tv series. :P
Running the shadows since 1989.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #44 on: <10-23-11/0959:41> »

No.
And here I was thinking it was like the men with blue hands in the Firefly tv series. :P
If I could make people bleed from their eyes, ears and hands, there'd be a lot less people. ;D