NEWS

Airship Pirates!

• 23 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« on: <09-16-11/2142:27> »
Yes, the band Abney Park has an RPG.  The year is 2150, and the world as we knew it is not the world as we know it.  With no living knowledge and tolerances against dictators, a militant hippie comes to power when the world is hopelessly populated and polluted, and restores balance to man-and-nature.  Perhaps people should have asked a bit more carefully how he was going to handle the overpopulation problem...

There's the Neovictorians of the Empire, dedicated to cleaning the Earth of all taints of humanity save those in the "Change Cage Cities", megacities kept in Victorian-era technology and culture enforced by clockwork "Peeler" automations, and the threat that looms above everyone:  The Change Cage, where any bit of outlawed or illegal technology or culture is thrown into, never to be seen again (Including the scientist/artist!).

Then there's the Skyloft, the free people who escaped the human culling of the Empire by lofting their cities into the sky and anchoring them to mountaintops.  They have a massive airship arsenal and an anachronistic stew of technology, depending on which city you're going to.  Ranging from the trader town of Helios which makes the world's standardized currency (Based off Helium!), to High Tortuga the Pirate Freeport that Jack Sparrow would be at home in!  "CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow."  Oh, right, sorry.

Finally, the Neobedouins (It's steampunk, they like Neo-stuff.  :P ), a bunch of Mad Max-esque gypsy nomads roving the post apocalyptic world of the surface of Earth, filled with toxic waste from the time when industry and overpopulation ruled the world, and the genetically designed and re-introduced creatures that literally have a taste for human flesh built into the core of their being.  With their bright armoured carriages and their lovingly restored and maintained motorcycles used as outriders, these people laugh, sing, and dance at a world that is literally trying to kill them from the first heart beat to the last.

The game system is similar to Shadowruns, where the Dice Pool (Yes, they use that term too) is D6s, and 1s and 6s are successes.  Rather than decrease the dice pool for difficult tasks, "Black Dice" are added into the roll, which take away successes from the regular dice.  Easier tasks are given additional dice.

It's a world where traveling circuses, musical groups, scientists, and other ne'erdowells are branded "Pirates" and actively hunted, where your airship might have a diesel engine assisting the normal steampunk engines, and muzzle-loaded cannon sit next to lightning guns and gatling guns.  Where the man or woman beside you might be a time traveler, an escaped factory worker, a tribal warrior, a drunk pirate, or not even human at all...

Described by one friend as being "Warhammer 40K-Level of Grimdark" and "Are you seriously telling me that there is a rock opera steampunk goth band that has their central plot revolving around a time traveling pirate airship?"  ;D

Honestly, Shadowrunners are one blue police box away from being dropped into the mix of the world...  And, if the PCs get a time machine themselves (They can), they may even make the world Shadowrun!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rascal

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-18-11/1356:58> »
My, oh my.
This goes on the list of things-to-be-hastily-accquired.
"If you don´t stop driving through walls I´m going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #2 on: <09-18-11/1737:55> »
My work here is done.  ;D

What?  I'm staying because I'm bored!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-18-11/1751:07> »
That sounds oh so very damm cool setting.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <09-18-11/1753:53> »
Figured the group here would like it.  A different taste of dystopian, with magic still available...  THROUGH SCIENCE!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <09-19-11/1248:28> »

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Socinus

• Newb
  • Emerged
« Reply #6 on: <09-19-11/2304:33> »
Hrm...while I like the idea and it sounds interesting...I'm a little hesitant to part with $50 for a game that I know nothing about. I like the steampunk genre and I actually like the band, but that's still A LOT of money to ask for an almost total unknown.

Do they sell PDF's anywhere or is it book only?
In a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society

Characters
Firewall Character Sheet

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-19-11/2347:31> »
As far as i undertood from their forums, the PDF version should come out soonish, also it's free for those who bought the dead tree version.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <09-20-11/0112:39> »
As far as i undertood from their forums, the PDF version should come out soonish, also it's free for those who bought the dead tree version.
Shiny!  Wonder how they're going to work that, as I pre-ordered the DTF as soon as I found out about the game from my FLGS/Army Surplus Store.

Damnit!  Now I want to shop there to work on a steampunk pirate outfit.  And, considering that they also sell swords...  Including Kukris from Nepal...  And WWII-1960 Swiss Motorcycle Goggles...  And Miniature Paint so I can make them "Brass"...  Although they won't go over my glasses, but I can still wear them over my forehead and it works.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-05-11/0747:58> »
Hating my roommate right now. He got one of the first 20 of the 300 signed. I didn't get one because I have no money T_T
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <10-05-11/1020:13> »
I knew folks going to GenCon.  Had the I cash, I'd have sent it to them to get it for me.   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-30-12/2220:00> »
(Successfully Casts Force 5 Thrednomancy)

I finally read through the book (other then the adventure in the back. I may not be running), and it's SO well written, the combat rounds make sense, the book in GENERAL is just beautiful.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <03-30-12/2242:00> »
I have the book, and run a Tuesday night game.  Currently, we're building Frankenluftboot!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <03-31-12/0130:10> »
Aw man. I wish I could be in on that.

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <03-31-12/0158:30> »
Aw man. I wish I could be in on that.
Don't be so sure...  The captain is now made up of five people.  The quartermaster has steel and brass bones in his chest and arms.  The hunter and the merc are almost out of ammo, and they have to be the adults.  The doctor just found out that some of his most horrendous memories from his damaged and amnesiac mind (he's the victim of a botched lobotomy, Victorian style, so only has one eye).  The professor is in charge (and was insanely good at leading the crew with no skill in leadership, minimal skill in gunnery, and a complete mastery in not caring about little things like the ship is half-blown up around him and he just stepped in a puddle of goo that used to be the 7-year old powder monkey that made sure he was fed) which scares everyone.  The crew has taken over 50% losses in dead alone, the steadfast automata on the crew (All three of them), two are badly damaged and only one could be repaired quickly to get to work, and the third is the nurse that's so pissed at the doctor that she refuses to talk to him.

All for no money, no loot, just a bunch of...  Somethings that the crew had to kill and render worthless.  (Not quite true, they got a Heavy Cannon on a Turntable, and some Clockwork Gatling Guns, but that doesn't replace the port broadside, crew, and so on).  The ship's boiler blew up (Lucky first shot, the boiler was using the professor's "High Test, High Powered Log" and Mikey the Ganger was about to damp the fire by killing the air as the gauges went into the black, forget the red, when a cannon ball took out the floor of the engine room and started dropping coal all over the place.).

So, the Professor (whose player had to leave) seeing the problem, being the only officer around (Other than the very busy doctor) hit up his special supply of "X-Presso" to himself and the ten uninjured crewmen, and went about rebuilding the ship out of whatever they happened to have.

Due to the extensive damage, we can no longer call the ship a "Tigerfish" class airship, and have dubbed it a "Steampuncher".  It's beat up, undergunned, undercrewed, out of rum, barely functional...

The ship finally fits her crew.  The new figurehead finishes this look perfectly.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11