NEWS

what's going on?

• 24 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #15 on: <09-03-11/1702:54> »
Yeah, which is why I tried to make it clear I wasn't just talking to/about Sengir.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #16 on: <09-03-11/1708:05> »
Ah so you were talking to/about me? O.o
OK, did not read like that.
Just wanted to make sure Sengir doesn't catch any Flak for something i wrote.
And i firmly stand by what i write/wrote too.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #17 on: <09-03-11/1726:38> »
No, I'm talking to/about everyone.  Partially Sengir's post, yeah, but partially just the tone of the whole thread.  I'm not a mod or anything so no one's catching "flak" from me (it's not like I have flak to throw out there) -- I'm just wishing the atmosphere was a bit more productive, is all.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <09-03-11/1729:26> »
Well, it's not like Flak is hard to make, I mean, it's just a shrapnel charge that's...

Oh, the other kind.  Sorry.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <09-04-11/1355:22> »
Poking a beehive with a stick is more productive than publicly, sarcastically, bitching about forum moderation.
Poking a beehive might also have some more consequences than being banned on a forum...

But my point is that were I to ask Jason about it, I bet I'd get a straighter answer with honey than vinegar.
And my point is that any kind of answer or discussion would as worthless as previous statements of "Christmas", "maybe next month", "after GenCon", and so on. Things are as they are, and if CGL/JH were willing to change their policy over fan criticism, they would have done so years ago.

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <09-04-11/1650:22> »
Everywhere I go on this forum I see them announcing a new product or an update to a product because people requested it... Yeah, maybe they aren't a step ahead of you (us) on this but at least they are making an effort to satisfy their customer base. I'm sure if they could afford to hire a team to do errata, and edit it into the PDFs so that when there is a new batch printed they have the new information that would be happy to do it. But right now I really don't think they see that as a possibility, especially when sales are down across the board.

Try thinking about this from a business stand point, they are in it to make a profit after all. So say you get your paycheck every month for $2000 and after paying all your bills you are left with $150 at the end of the month. Do you really think that it would be an efficient use of your money to put that $150 into editing your old materials and trying to sell them again when everyone already bought it once? Nobody wants to rebuy the same book. Errata is something that the writers do when they have spare time, and they throw it up on here for people to read and edit into their own games. Its not like CGL is going to send you a new copy of your book because they made an errata change.
« Last Edit: <09-04-11/1654:26> by Deliverator »

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #21 on: <09-04-11/1820:44> »
Thing is that they where able to keep the errata somewhat up to date before the economic issues, and have since said issues put quite a number of new books and reprints onto market. Sadly those reprints are lacking even the old errata, and that is what is making me wonder about what is going on internally at CGL right now.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #22 on: <09-04-11/1832:26> »
Insect Spirit Invasion?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <09-04-11/1852:53> »
Everywhere I go on this forum I see them announcing a new product or an update to a product because people requested it.
:D
Sure, if you ask them nicely to do  a product X they Randall Bills activates his time machine and delivers the changes to his past self, so he can adjust the release schedule for the next years accordingly...and I'd really like to see where an "update" got announced, was the place called Kaetetôã?

Do you really think that it would be an efficient use of your money to put that $150 into editing your old materials and trying to sell them again when everyone already bought it once? Nobody wants to rebuy the same book.
  • Products need to be maintained past release. If a company fails to do that, I'll rather leave my money elsewhere
  • We're not talking about print-ready errata (i.e. worded and formatted such that it doesn't break page layouts). A simple informal bullet list of stuff that should be changed would be enough to make most people happy.
  • And CGL has those lists. Freelancers do them in their spare time, the German (and probably also the French) publisher have to submit changes they want to make for approval. The extra work would be CPing those lists into a pdf file and putting it on the website.
  • Distributing and updated pdf wouldn't be hard if they ever do actual print-level errata...

And seriously guys, the argument "they're in hard times financially, that's why they don't put out errata" is not going to hold water if you repeat it another gazillion times. "Agumentation errata" already was a running gag long before the trouble started. Furthermore, it neither explains why books get de-errataed, nor why freelancers somewhat consistently report TPTB corrections submitted before release, or stuff being dis-improved in the final editing round.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #24 on: <09-05-11/0715:02> »
Insect Spirit Invasion?
Ugh, as if i wanted to entertain that nightmare...
Want to see my flash new jacket?