NEWS

Weapon Quality

• 48 Replies

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« on: <09-16-10/1103:43> »
I was thinking today. What it's Thursday!

Is there a section on weapon quality in the rules? I waanted to know if there was bonuses/inhibiters for having better/worse equipment. Sure a Katana is sharp But a Cold Steel brand one is Sharper than the one you buy at Asian Express. So where can I find rules for this?
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-10/1120:51> »
I dont recall seeing rules for this anywhere. Guess you'll have to houserule that.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #2 on: <09-16-10/1151:24> »
You're kidding? CatLab is slipping up. I mean there are rules & tables for what you are going to eat for lunch but nothing on weapon quality! I swear! You count on a company to hand you everything on a silver platter and they go and srew it up. *Begins walking away*

You know when I was young You just couldn't get away with Drek like this...

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <09-16-10/1157:29> »
Most of the stats for melee weapons are based on size, with no regard to quality (I am NOT going there; you can if you want). For instance, a Katana has the same DV as a Monofilament Sword or a regular sword. The only difference between the three is that a normal sword does not have AP, whereas the Katana and MS have a -1 AP.

House Rule? I'd say that an extremely good quality melee weapon (i.e. Tamahagane katanas) would probably get additional modifiers to AP. Of course, I'd probably also make it that those weapons were at least 10x the price of a normal version; based on the fact that you can get normal, functioning katana for about $150, but a Takemoto hand-forged Tamahegane Katana goes for over $5,000.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-16-10/1205:23> »
Ruling it with AP seems clever to me, much more subtle than with DV.
+1AP if the weapon is really damaged or rusty, normal AP if it's just fonctionnal, -1AP if it's a high quality weapon.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #5 on: <09-16-10/1210:08> »
Most of the stats for melee weapons are based on size, with no regard to quality (I am NOT going there; you can if you want). For instance, a Katana has the same DV as a Monofilament Sword or a regular sword. The only difference between the three is that a normal sword does not have AP, whereas the Katana and MS have a -1 AP.

House Rule? I'd say that an extremely good quality melee weapon (i.e. Tamahagane katanas) would probably get additional modifiers to AP. Of course, I'd probably also make it that those weapons were at least 10x the price of a normal version; based on the fact that you can get normal, functioning katana for about $150, but a Takemoto hand-forged Tamahegane Katana goes for over $5,000.
I don't know about that. I mean the words you speak are true. the best blades aren't cheap. I would agree they would be worth alot more Nuyen, But I found this for $125:

Thats Damascus Steel
And that blade is the second one I own that I'm afraid to drag acrossed my skin. It did slice cleanly through a 1/2" branch on a wrist flick. It's that sharp.The first is my ColdSteel lock blade... that I can shave with!
« Last Edit: <09-16-10/1218:33> by Usda Beph »

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-16-10/1215:47> »
Honestly, with modern technology available, I don't think that hand-crafted items are better than modern replacements. A katana, made from modern (2070) materials will probably as good as katanas will ever be without becoming a lightsaber or vibro blade. Nostalgia, etc. will still make hand-crafted items expensive and wanted, but I wouldn't give them a bonus to AP.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-16-10/1221:28> »
Well, there's always the good old answer about technology and what it allows : technology is mainly used to lower the costs, not to improve quality.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #8 on: <09-16-10/1224:53> »
From handling my swords I can tell you quality blades will do better than non quality. The Damascus blade (as cheap as it was) has an edge I haven't seen on a swort of its price. I would be terrified to see the edge a fine Damascus blade has. I'd bet it could be close to molecular sharp. Wishful thinking SUre but in 2070... maybe not. I can see for paying to have a +1 AP weapon. But remember there are catches to that. Katanas are kinda useless v balistic armor when slashing but WILL puncture it with a touch of effort.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #9 on: <09-16-10/1322:08> »
Don't forget that in Shadowrun, "the old ways" might have benefits to them magically.  It's easier for an Adept to Attune with something less technologically advanced, for instance, or for a Mage to use Analyze Device.  I'd say it's more in keeping with some magical Traditions to have an old-style, hand-made, weapon for a Focus than for it to be an all polymer, laser-etched, yadda yadda yadda high tech folding knife.

It all comes down to flavor...but in a world with magic, sometimes that "flavor" can be pretty strong.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-16-10/1340:23> »
That Damascus ninjato of his is his baby. You're not allowed to walk into this house without him showing it off. XD

There's seriously no like... regular vs. masterwork? I guess they just kinda assume that a PC isn't going to go shopping for weapons they intend to use on the job at the local mall is more what it is. Yeah, we have a ton of just mall rat swords, but they're just for show and we wouldn't even bother grabbing them if someone broke in. I'd be more apt to grab the hunting knives or the folded katana than waste my time with my pretty axe or Icing Death and Twinkle...
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #11 on: <09-16-10/1343:32> »
Don't forget that in Shadowrun, "the old ways" might have benefits to them magically.  It's easier for an Adept to Attune with something less technologically advanced, for instance, or for a Mage to use Analyze Device.  I'd say it's more in keeping with some magical Traditions to have an old-style, hand-made, weapon for a Focus than for it to be an all polymer, laser-etched, yadda yadda yadda high tech folding knife.

It all comes down to flavor...but in a world with magic, sometimes that "flavor" can be pretty strong.
Yes but Damascus steel is an old forging method! And yes there is even a clause in some spells I know where you are not allowed to even haggle the price of a Material component. That causes the spell to fail and the unnamed ones come a eat your soul and your village's souls as well! :P

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-16-10/1347:20> »

Yes but Damascus steel is an old forging method! And yes there is even a clause in some spells I know where you are not allowed to even haggle the price of a Material component. That causes the spell to fail and the unnamed ones come a eat your soul and your village's souls as well! :P

ooooh necronomicon~

And it really does seem to just be a matter of your own fluff text for simplicity's sake. Which is all well and good because the like... binder full of tables and charts needed to implement everything in BT was just rediculous.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #13 on: <09-16-10/1354:54> »
Binder HAH! Try Backpack kiddo! ;D

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-16-10/1402:05> »
It's been a long while. All I remember about the backpack is that you'd set off the theft alarms walking INTO Ryder's because there were so many books in there that it just had a fail. Poor scanner.