NEWS

Sensor Signature Table Clarifications

• 2 Replies

marfish

• Newb
« on: <10-29-17/0105:56> »
Now here's this question. Me, along with one of the new players on my table are non-native speakers and we pondered over the word "signature" in the "Signature Table" (SR5 Core, p.184) when I told them they are being locked on by a rotordrone. One of them said that the word "signature" should be considered as in "signal", the other talks about "signature" as in "special characteristics".

I am indeed confused, as sensors are supposed to be picking up signals emitted by the target, thermal, radio, etc. The other however points to the fact that the sensors are detecting the "characteristics". The third one told him the sensors "are supposed to be picking up signals in order to detect characteristics"......and so on and so on and so on. Although this did not make a large difference in gameplay (our decker bricked that thing before it can get a lock), the two words have significant differences in our language and they've asked me for clarifications in order to truly settle this.... and I don't really know.... so.....

Basically, "signature", as in "signal", or as in "characteristic"?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <10-29-17/0431:23> »
signature table
target size Modifier
Large and oversized vehicles         
(trains, construction vehicles,
zeppelins, tractor-trailers, airliners)           +3
Electric-powered vehicles                          –3
Metahumans, Critters                                –3
Drones                                                       –3
Micro-drones                                             –6

I am assuming you mean the above table from page 184.

In this case they are talking about a physical characteristic. More specifically, the physical size of the an object.

Without getting nerdy and going into the fine details of signals VS signatures from an Instrumentation Mechanic's view point, you would be fairly safe to assume that in Shadowrun, when they mention "signature" they are describing a physical representation of an object most of the time.   
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-29-17/0604:07> »
signature table
target size Modifier
Large and oversized vehicles         
(trains, construction vehicles,
zeppelins, tractor-trailers, airliners)           +3
Electric-powered vehicles                          –3
Metahumans, Critters                                –3
Drones                                                       –3
Micro-drones                                             –6

I am assuming you mean the above table from page 184.

In this case they are talking about a physical characteristic. More specifically, the physical size of the an object.

Without getting nerdy and going into the fine details of signals VS signatures from an Instrumentation Mechanic's view point, you would be fairly safe to assume that in Shadowrun, when they mention "signature" they are describing a physical representation of an object most of the time.

That helps a lot, thanks~