Author Topic: Uncle Arnie's ( Advice on a possible target for Shadowrunning)  (Read 120 times)

Killerclown

• Newb
I am thinking about getting Shadowrun sooner or later and i already came up with a corp for possible Shadowrunners to bully. Their basic gimmick is that they are a homestyle, diner themed, chain of restaurants called Uncle Arnie's. The company was founded by Arnie Collins, or " Farmer Arnie" as many people call him. Event though Arnie retired as CEO of his company in 2065, he still stars in the famous " Farmer Arnie" commericals, effectively making Farmer Arnie their mascot. The current CEO and chairman is Andy Collins, Farmer Arnie's son. He still espouses the views of family togetherness and honesty that his father believed in public. But, like most CEOs in Shadowrun, he dables in backroom deals and other shady shit.

My question for you guys is what kind of secret's could Uncle Arnie's have that Shadowrunners could pilfer and who would hire Shadowrunners to take on these guys in the first place?

farothel

• Prime Runner
Possible secrets:
-covering up food poisoning in one of the restaurants (just an accident or not, up to you)
-using substandard ingredients.  Look up the horse meat scandal that's been going around for some years (I think it started around 2013) where they had horse meat in beef lasagna in the UK and other places.  In Belgium they had a food scandal in 1999 where chickens were fed food that had machine oil in it and those contained PCBs.  Stuff like that is bound to happen in the Shadowrun world too.  You can even use it as a basis of a whole campaign.  It starts out as a run against uncle Arnie, but after further investigation it turns out to be something much bigger.

Who would hire shadowrunners:
-rivals who are losing market share, from small chains just like them to the big chains who want to eliminate potential rivals.
-if secret 1: anybody who got sick and wants to get even by exposing them.
-a whistle blower who got fired and wants to get even.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
Possible secrets:
- Food sources: Special cheap meat made from sapients is always an option. Secret recipes for various proprietory foods (sauces, bread, GMO yeast cultures)
- New developments for cheaper yet same tasting food stuffs with a miracle filler material - he who gets to market first wins.
- Secret support for specific hate groups through the former CEO - Arnie the Clansman
- Bribes to allow the use of mildly addictive substances in food preparation - super strong nutmeg
- Hidden health code violations covered up through legal and illegal means - targeting people who got sick from eating at Arnie's with gang violence to prevent them going to court (only local franchises - but approved by corporate)

Who hires the runners?
Competitors, local action groups, victims.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Killerclown

• Newb
I might go for both the Racist group funding idea and the nutmeg idea. Andy's main ambition is to become a AA corporation and possibly someday, get a spot on the corporate court. So, you can tell he would probably do anything to get what he wants. He can evn go so far as to borrow money from a AAA corp. I wonder which of the AAA would willingly lend money to him?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
To become an A or AA you need to diversify quite a lot - just being a restaurant business won't cut it.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Killerclown

• Newb
Really?  Andy could start trying to buy out other business in a attempt to make to A status.  A smaller corporation could hire Shadowrunners to get dirt on Uncle Arnie's and Andy himself after hearing rumors that Andy will attempt a corporate takeover.

Valis

• Newb
You'd have an easier time with the running being to sabotage a rival or steal some dirt on them to take their contract as the exclusive vendor for one of the AA or AAA Corp. Plus it also means the Runners need to be careful to make sure there's no evidence linking it to being a rival vendor/the rival involved.

Killerclown

• Newb
Yeah, that idea can probably work better.

Valis

• Newb
I'd imagine there'd be some perks to that as well, such as access to extremely rare ingredients at Corp events and easier access other stuff to boost the Restaurant up to a food industry A or AA, as opposed to a Corp A or AA. So instead of normal MegaCorp council Arnie's could be after that, a way to the world market as opposed to be restricted to their local continent/country.