NEWS

Urban Brawl and Combat Biker Season Start and End?

• 3 Replies

irthinker

• Newb
  • All your karma are belong to me
« on: <07-13-17/1644:48> »
Anyone know when the seasons start and end for Urban Brawl and Combat Biker?

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-15-17/0652:37> »
You should move this out of the "rules and such" to the Lore section. BTW, I've checked in Shadowbeat (2nd editions) - AFAIK the most complete source of Combat Biking, and no real info on when it starts or stops.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-15-17/1920:23> »
Wikipedia has a handy page describing the seasons for most major sports: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_(sports)
Scroll down to the "seasons by league" table and click the top of the second column to sort the list by Sport.

I figure Combat Biker would be included with "motorsports," running from March or April until September or October. Moving teams from city to city means moving a lot of vehicles, equipment, and support staff, so it'd help if every team didn't play every week, which means a longer season.

Urban Brawl has to be played outdoors on city streets. Bad weather might not disrupt play, but it would interfere with video and make the action harder to follow for the audience, so it probably runs in the summer and fall. May or June through October?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <07-16-17/0028:07> »
What, and miss out on all the hilarity of slipping around, getting a slushball in the face, and all the other snowy hijinks?

Combat Biker is an indoor 'Arena' game, like basketball; as a consequence, even if they DO have to move the machines, equipment, support staff, and players to field four lancers, four linebackers, a thunderbiker, and a goalie (no bike for him) per play - that's nine bikes.  At 30-60 seconds per play, 10 minutes per quarter (so up to 20 plays per quarter), four quarters, you could be looking at 20 x 4 x 9 = up to 720 motorbikes (and players!)  - but probably not more than 60 plays, and probably at most 80 or 90 cycles if they're really a beat-up-the-bikes team.  Even then, that seems excessive; likely the mechanics are in the pit, working feverishly to fix anything busted in the latest wipeout.

I agree that the massive amount of gear- and people-movement is going to mean that the games are probably like NFL games today - one per team per week, maybe per two weeks; there are, after all, only twenty-three teams in the World Combat Cyclists League (room for one more in the Western Conference, South Division, as per the official canon).

However, because it's an arena game instead of a field game, it can take place during the winter - and probably does.

Urban Brawl, on the other hand, is an outdoor, 'field' game - so you're wanting action, but not a bunch of guys in armor passing out due to the nasty June-July-August heat in the middle of a brawl zone 'cause they're running their ass off.  However, forcing the manager to balance 'a great team on the field' with 'I gotta make sure my players are gonna get through the next five minutes without overheating' would be a great issue for them to have to figure out, adjusting tactics and player use for overheating and all that sort of thing.  And while they don't have to cart around fifty tons worth of mechanical pain in the form of a zillion motorcycles, the League itself does have to be concerned with putting gear in place ... hmmm.  Though they do that over a period of only 24 hours, and already have the cities selected, multiple sites scouted out ...

Hm.  28 teams ... looks like the ISSV rules were modified since 2052 to expand from 24 teams per League franchise ...  NFL is 32 clubs, with 16 games, one bye week, and a five-week post-season.  Rusty's 'Super Brawl Sunday' convention game suggests a playoff, though it doesn't give any actual league win/loss standings ...

Okay, so this is what I'd do:

Start of 4th Week of March:Urban Brawl Spring Training (Firing Line, Combat Course, Integrated Tactical Operations Training, etc.) Begins.
Last Weekend in April / First Weekend in May:Opening Day.
This always falls somewhere between 27 April to 4 May.
Last Weekend in June / First Weekend in July:End of the First Half.
All teams have had 8 games and a bye week; at this point, all teams get a simultaneous bye week for 'restaffing'. (I.e. they do a mid-season recruitment for filler players.)
Last Weekend in August / First Weekend in September:End of the Second Half.  All teams have had 8 more games and one more bye week.
Second Weekend in September:Wildcard Week.  Teams #4 and #5 shoot it out in a wildcard game.  Teams #1, #2, and #3 get a bye week.
Third Weekend in SeptemberThe Playoffs.  Team #1 plays team #3; team #2 plays the winner of the wildcard game.
The Super Hype:Break week, for everyone to do final adjustments, fill out the roster with 'plug-and-play' shooters.
The Super Brawl:First weekend in October, the Super Brawl has all the stops pulled out.

Now, every 2 years there's the World Cup playoffs, which would/could happen through October and into November as necessary.

I think for Combat Biker I might  do something similar, though I think I'd also extend their season.  I think I'd give a few weeks' worth of time, but put Opening Day of the combat biker league right at the end of October, on Halloween if possible.  Run it through the end of February for 17 games and one bye week, then have a 5-week NFL-style post-season.  The Biker Bowl winds everything up right about the first week of April, during Urban Brawl spring training ...

Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.