NEWS

Red Samurai incident

• 5 Replies

Shamie

• Omae
« on: <03-26-17/1755:44> »
Hello everyone, i was reading market panic section on Renraku and it mention this line on the red samurai

"They were originally a group of pretty boys dressed up in high ceremonial gear who didn’t actually know how to use their props, but an early incident made Inazo Aneki rebuild them into a force of frightening skill."

Does anyone knows if this is a reference to something that was published? I couldn't find anything worth mention in the wikias.

Thank for any answers.

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <03-27-17/1014:40> »
Well, Corporate Shadowfiles has roughly the same information: "The initial Red Samurai were flashy status symbols, not a real security force." But there is no mention of an incident that caused them to reform. Just "[t]hat's changed over the years, in spades" and that the change started before Yukiako Watanabe was on the board.

So the "incident" should be a later addition. And since the Red Samurai were considered a true elite force by 2050, I assume whatever happened didn't happen during the Shadowrun ingame time period.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <03-27-17/1218:39> »
Probably a 'noodle incident' that won't be actually explained fully unless it becomes a major plot point. Shouldn't be too hard to guess what happened, though. After all, there were a series of corp wars, including the one that led to the first Crash. And the normal corporate espionage, assassinations, etc. Any one of those incidents, stopped in part by a flashy Red Samurai that actually knew how to fight decently, would be a PR win that could make the board change them into an elite warrior group.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-28-17/0000:15> »
Or it was an incident where someone high up was in trouble and was ready for the shiny Red Samurai to step in and do something ... and then they went, "Yeah, I was just hired to stand here with no shirt on and grate cheese off my abs? I don't actually, you know, fight or anything..."

The after report did not go well for them. :)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #4 on: <03-28-17/1034:34> »
Possible, but less likely considering the Renraku culture. That kind of dishonor and major loss of face would be more likely to have the nascent Red Samurai packed off someplace never to be seen again as a punishment, not raised up into an elite force. At the very least, the organization would have been replaced by something with a new name and a different look, to distance themselves from that dishonor.

On the other hand, an 'honorable' Red Samurai who succeeded at their 'mission' would be both an excellent recruiting tool and a reason to pour resources into the organization to make them elites.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

TonyK

• Chummer
  • 20 year on-and-off SR fan...
« Reply #5 on: <03-28-17/1548:21> »
Or it was an incident where someone high up was in trouble and was ready for the shiny Red Samurai to step in and do something ... and then they went, "Yeah, I was just hired to stand here with no shirt on and grate cheese off my abs? I don't actually, you know, fight or anything..."

The after report did not go well for them. :)
Probably in the late 30s. From Corporate Shadowfiles:

"Renraku got into real trouble back in the late '30s-corruption, scandals, mis-management, the whole nine meters.  A couple of Aneki's major investors tried to take control of the board so they could oust him before he brought the whole corp crashing down around their ears.  Things had gotten so bad that they figured to lose their investments unless they took drastic action.  Aneki managed to hold them off, and in a kind of reverse coup, he ousted them from the board."

Power play shenanigans seem like just the impetus to transform the Reds into a real security force.
My fave quote from SRR: "Damn you Mike Pondsmith"