NEWS

50 Shades of Shadowrun

• 13 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <01-30-17/2130:16> »
I am GMing a game that happens to fall on Valentine's day. I have been keeping the game timeline the same as the real world timeline, so February 14, 2017 will be February 14th, 2077. Give or take a few days depending on what I have planned to run.

I would like to do a special run for Valentine's Day, like I did for Christmas.  I have gotten familiar enough with the group that I would feel comfortable running a more risque game.

Some of the things I was thinking about.. maybe this would be good run to introduce the Runners (All but one l player has previous experience with Shadowrun.) To Bunraku Parlors.    Modular Penile Implants... Find Mr. Johnson's Johnson.. 

I would love to hear any ideas!

Thanks.

« Last Edit: <01-30-17/2134:47> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1 on: <01-31-17/1324:02> »
Johnson has fallen in love with his (or her), favorite bunraku puppet-head, and wants them extracted?  Of course when the runners go in, she (or he), won't be sporting the 'right' personality, and the Johnson refuses to believe that they've extracted the right person, or wants them to go back and get the right chip, or ....

Basically: bunraku parlours are horrifying, so perfect for a Valentine's Day run, and emphasizing how strange and horrible they are just makes it all the better, IMO.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-31-17/1418:25> »
Valentines Day runs? I have a few in mind:

• Do you know the story of Pygmalion and Galatea? It's happened again....sort of. A drone constructor working for Shiawase was instructed to build yet another I-Doll with Realistic Features 4 and certain 'other' options as well...you know, the robogirlfriend package. By some stroke of fate and luck, a recently deceased e-ghost found her way into the drone and made it her home device. The e-ghost and the constructor are getting along very well, if you get my implication, and although she doesn't remember much of her life the e-ghost feels very comfortable in this particular drone (in fact it may be the case that her killer ordered the drone in question and specifically asked to have it look exactly like her because he's a serial killer and that's his sick fetish, but that's probably not relevant unless you want to explore that in subsequent runs. Or maybe he'll show up and the e-ghost will drop the drone act and start screaming how he's the one that killed her, complicating the run. I dunno, it's your game). However, there are a number of problems: the constructor won't get another opportunity to build another drone for the e-ghost, he doesn't have the means to build one at home and even if he had the money to just buy the drone the customers wants it ASAP. So, the constructor made a few calls to Renraku and now you're extracting the two lovebirds.
  • Alternatively, a more traditional Pygmalion and Galatea scenario involving magic, but it's still an extraction because reasons.
  • In just four days, four shadowrunners have to get four gifts and four restaurant/club/sports/lecture/whatever reservations for their four freaky girlfriends: an e-ghost in an I-Doll, a free Spirit of Woman, a changeling who plays up the "sexy catgirl" angle a little too much for most people and a vampiress who hasn't quite gotten the hang of this whole 'sexual predator' thing but god damn she is trying. Unfortunately, the runners are all broke, so not only are they going to have to search for and select the correct gifts and reservations, they will have to steal them and/or pay for them with some quick jobs.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-31-17/1452:41> »
Johnson has fallen in love with his (or her), favorite bunraku puppet-head, and wants them extracted?  Of course when the runners go in, she (or he), won't be sporting the 'right' personality, and the Johnson refuses to believe that they've extracted the right person, or wants them to go back and get the right chip, or ....

Basically: bunraku parlours are horrifying, so perfect for a Valentine's Day run, and emphasizing how strange and horrible they are just makes it all the better, IMO.

Thanks. Just got an idea.. The Bunraku dolls, once the owners realize they have intruders, are given a bunch of  combat skill softs. I was thinking something like Austin Powers...
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-31-17/1502:17> »
All I'm going to say further is that Molly Millions, the original streetsam, paid for her wares by working as what would be called a bunraku doll in Shadowrun. Do with that thought what you will.
« Last Edit: <01-31-17/1509:33> by Ghost Rigger »
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-31-17/1528:05> »
Creepy interactions to have with bunraku slaves:
-   <Stares silently at all the violence and mayhem without moving or getting out of the way>  (not chipped)
-   “I don’t know what to do.” <pause> “Please get me a chip so I’ll know what to do.” (not chipped)
-   <Terrified screaming comes from another room>  “Don’t worry, that is just Dorothy.  She didn’t behave properly yesterday so she got the ‘naughty chip’ tonight instead of a ‘good girl’ chip.”  (said in a bubbly, happy, voice.  Chipped with a very simple, happy, personality for easier house management in off hours)
-   <no matter what the runners look like, or what time it is>  “Good morning Daddy!  Is it breakfast time already?  I promise I’ll be a good girl today” (said in a little-girl voice – chipped to act like a well behaved four year old for easier house management in off hours, or possibly just chipped that way for customer pleasure)
-   “My what a big gun you have!  Is that what you want to use on me?  I’m so excited to try this, but a little nervous.” <starts doing a seductive strip tease while making erotic moans and saying things like “Your big barrel gets me so hot” and trying to fondle the gun>  (compliant personality chip not dealing with the situation very well)

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-31-17/1735:47> »
Creepy interactions to have with bunraku slaves:
-   <Stares silently at all the violence and mayhem without moving or getting out of the way>  (not chipped)
-   “I don’t know what to do.” <pause> “Please get me a chip so I’ll know what to do.” (not chipped)
-   <Terrified screaming comes from another room>  “Don’t worry, that is just Dorothy.  She didn’t behave properly yesterday so she got the ‘naughty chip’ tonight instead of a ‘good girl’ chip.”  (said in a bubbly, happy, voice.  Chipped with a very simple, happy, personality for easier house management in off hours)
-   <no matter what the runners look like, or what time it is>  “Good morning Daddy!  Is it breakfast time already?  I promise I’ll be a good girl today” (said in a little-girl voice – chipped to act like a well behaved four year old for easier house management in off hours, or possibly just chipped that way for customer pleasure)
-   “My what a big gun you have!  Is that what you want to use on me?  I’m so excited to try this, but a little nervous.” <starts doing a seductive strip tease while making erotic moans and saying things like “Your big barrel gets me so hot” and trying to fondle the gun>  (compliant personality chip not dealing with the situation very well)

ROFL, I love it.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-31-17/1801:36> »
I had a run in a puppet-house all planned out with lots of creepy and disturbing, but the way things played out I never got to use most of it.  Glad to share :)

One other idea:
 - I had a chipped vampire locked up in the basement.  He was actually chipped to think that he was Dracula.  (There are people who will pay big nuyen for that sort of thing ...)  Not sure if that works in canon or not, but when he first claimed to be Dracula the runners laughed and dismissed him, then he turned out to have actual powers (and a big hate on for the house -- he took on some of the most deadly of the guards, giving the runners their opening to get out.  But he must have escaped because he showed up in a later adventure)

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-01-17/1506:35> »
I had a run in a puppet-house all planned out with lots of creepy and disturbing, but the way things played out I never got to use most of it.  Glad to share :)

Would love to hear any more you've got.

Are there any books that talk about bunraku parlours?

One thing I forgot to mention, the Gunslinger Adept has a Yakuza contact, Connection 5, Loyalty 3 (The gunslinger helped him eliminate some competition during one of the teams runs, so I bumped up his contact's loyalty.), there might be some conflict of interest, if the team is going to run against a Yakuza ran Bunraku Parlor.

Yakuza are the best known for running Bunraku parlors, what about the other crime syndicates?

Also, I am thinking about having a centaur in the Bunraku parlour, for the customers with more peculiar fetishes.

At the first game  I GMed with this group, the players and I were talking and joking about centaur sex (Is it bestiality?), and how centaurs are kind of creepy, so I feel I would be failing my duty as a GM, if I didn't Include a scene with centuar and a metahuman.   Roll your Composure (3), to do anything for the next 10 seconds, critical glitch, you get Flashbacks Negative Quality.  I should have some sound effect mp3s ready to play for this scene.

I could have ARO saying "Do Not Disturb.", that will almost certainly make the Runners want to go into the room...

A clip from Futurama. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dOLaTBMxmbk
« Last Edit: <02-01-17/1549:29> by Bushw4cker »

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <02-01-17/1514:08> »

Would love to hear any more you've got.

Are there any books that talk about bunraku parlours?

One thing I forgot to mention, the Gunslinger Adept has a Yakuza contact, Connection 5, Loyalty 3 (The gunslinger helped him eliminate some competition during one of the teams runs, so I bumped up his contact's loyalty.), there might be some conflict of interest, if the team is going to run against a Yakuza ran Bunraku Parlor.

Yakuza are the best known for running Bunraku parlors, what about the other crime syndicates?

I believe the Triads run Bunraku parlors. Possibly the Vory as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-01-17/1620:23> »
Lots of ways that could happen:

- Someone non-Yak has set one up, and the Yak want it taken out -- they don't want competition in this segment. And you could make this new competition extra weird and creepy, because they are catering to things beyond what the Yak normally permit.  Various meta-human variants, bio and cyber modifications, and body extremes (a very tall and muscular troll lady; a massively fat human woman who weighs nearly as much; women with surgery to be cat girls, or look like little girls, or both at once; women modified to have cartoon-like proportions; woman or man with heavy pain blockers and fast healing for physical sadists, etc

- Or, the Yak have kidnapped someone and are holding them in the Bunraku parlour, with the implied threat of what will happen if their terms are not met.  Team has to do the run and extract the target without being identified or doing too much damage (this is what happened in my game -- there was an escalating war in Tacoma, and the Yak kidnapped the teenage daughter of the financial controller of the mafia owned group of companies in the area, trying to turn him into a double agent.  He 'borrowed' money from the job to pay the runners to get his daughter back.  Which could have all gone very badly for him if someone hadn't blown up the Church where most of the local mafia leadership were attending Christmas midnight service a couple of months later.)

- Or it is being run by a different  local division/department of the Yaks, and the ones your group is tied into think that it is bringing dishonour on the organization due to its excesses, and want it quietly dealt with.

I don't have my notes for that run in my game anymore, but from memory

- the place was attached to a high-class restaurant (the easier for patrons to go in unobtrusively), which added a strategic element to consider (the restaurant being above board,  responses are different than for the puppet house at the back)

- the mostly seen security/minders were sculpted, dressed, and geared for the part.  Massively muscled roman gladiators, women in video game outfits, etc.  So not very practical armour, only cyber or concealed weapons (except for blades the gladiators were wearing).  Oh, and a couple of traditional looking samurai warriors who were about 0.2 essence and all of it alpha or beta wear, and that samurai armor is actually sculpted security grade armor.  Then behind the scenes are a small team of more traditional security, but they are mostly on stand-by until something happens so take a little bit to deploy.  Which makes for a mix of challenges.

- a very definite background count, as what is left of the puppets' minds are mostly in a maelstrom of panic, horror, grief, and madness.

- as I recall it, my group arranged a four pronged assault: for a biker gang to shake down the restaurant, a hired hacker went loud and hard at security, then a little bit into that had a combat team stage an assault on one entrance (modified an old car to make a ram to smash open the doors, they brought along extra hired guns and plenty of thermal smoke and flash bangs so they could penetrate into the building a ways and then 'get pinned down' by security for a minute.  Meanwhile a stealth team had gotten onto the roof ahead of time and hacked the roof access lock, then used everything else to allow them to to get down into the basement where their target was without setting off additional alarms.  At which point things went fairly sideways but they managed to cause enough sudden violence to buy enough time to open all the cells, and fortunately the chipped vampire went after the 'traditional samurai warrior' cybermonster, letting them make their escape.  It was the most expensive, expansive, run we'd done up until that point.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <02-01-17/2036:37> »
Lots of ways that could happen:

- Someone non-Yak has set one up, and the Yak want it taken out -- they don't want competition in this segment. And you could make this new competition extra weird and creepy, because they are catering to things beyond what the Yak normally permit.  Various meta-human variants, bio and cyber modifications, and body extremes (a very tall and muscular troll lady; a massively fat human woman who weighs nearly as much; women with surgery to be cat girls, or look like little girls, or both at once; women modified to have cartoon-like proportions; woman or man with heavy pain blockers and fast healing for physical sadists, etc

- Or, the Yak have kidnapped someone and are holding them in the Bunraku parlour, with the implied threat of what will happen if their terms are not met.  Team has to do the run and extract the target without being identified or doing too much damage (this is what happened in my game -- there was an escalating war in Tacoma, and the Yak kidnapped the teenage daughter of the financial controller of the mafia owned group of companies in the area, trying to turn him into a double agent.  He 'borrowed' money from the job to pay the runners to get his daughter back.  Which could have all gone very badly for him if someone hadn't blown up the Church where most of the local mafia leadership were attending Christmas midnight service a couple of months later.)

- Or it is being run by a different  local division/department of the Yaks, and the ones your group is tied into think that it is bringing dishonour on the organization due to its excesses, and want it quietly dealt with.

I don't have my notes for that run in my game anymore, but from memory

- the place was attached to a high-class restaurant (the easier for patrons to go in unobtrusively), which added a strategic element to consider (the restaurant being above board,  responses are different than for the puppet house at the back)

- the mostly seen security/minders were sculpted, dressed, and geared for the part.  Massively muscled roman gladiators, women in video game outfits, etc.  So not very practical armour, only cyber or concealed weapons (except for blades the gladiators were wearing).  Oh, and a couple of traditional looking samurai warriors who were about 0.2 essence and all of it alpha or beta wear, and that samurai armor is actually sculpted security grade armor.  Then behind the scenes are a small team of more traditional security, but they are mostly on stand-by until something happens so take a little bit to deploy.  Which makes for a mix of challenges.

- a very definite background count, as what is left of the puppets' minds are mostly in a maelstrom of panic, horror, grief, and madness.

- as I recall it, my group arranged a four pronged assault: for a biker gang to shake down the restaurant, a hired hacker went loud and hard at security, then a little bit into that had a combat team stage an assault on one entrance (modified an old car to make a ram to smash open the doors, they brought along extra hired guns and plenty of thermal smoke and flash bangs so they could penetrate into the building a ways and then 'get pinned down' by security for a minute.  Meanwhile a stealth team had gotten onto the roof ahead of time and hacked the roof access lock, then used everything else to allow them to to get down into the basement where their target was without setting off additional alarms.  At which point things went fairly sideways but they managed to cause enough sudden violence to buy enough time to open all the cells, and fortunately the chipped vampire went after the 'traditional samurai warrior' cybermonster, letting them make their escape.  It was the most expensive, expansive, run we'd done up until that point.

Thank you very much for all your feedback. This is going to be a lot help in making my player's Valentines Day Special!, and by special, I mean horribly disturbing.

SwampFox

• Newb
  • This city is my Swamp, just try and dig me out.
« Reply #12 on: <02-04-17/0952:51> »
You could also consider a magical practitioner being the main issue for the session.  My group has a semi-recurring villainess in NOLA that's pretty f*cked up.  She's a high-level Voudinista bocor of Erzulie red eyes (a very tantric-oriented Loa) who enjoys using spells like mob-mind, opium den and agony among others, combined with trusted servants, spirits and an ally spirit, to collect blackmail material as leverage against people of high standing and importance.

One scenario involved her crashing the dance at a very exclusive private girls school with some hand-picked orc and troll gangers, in order to get leverage against the parents of the students. You can probably imagine how.

Given that she's a Bocor instead of a Hougan, that means that she doesn't need consent from her "sacrifices", and that their fear, terror and humiliation makes the sacrifice many times more effective
Especially if there is a loss of Innocence involved.

Ech0

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <02-11-17/0705:53> »
I wrote a scenario just like that, back in the early days of Shadowrun 4, for the German Shadowrun version. It was called "Silicon Dreams" (published in Mephisto #38, afaik) and was set in and around a Bunraku palor in Seattle:

The team is with extracting a Horizon AIPS specialist seeking greener pastures. When the target does not show up at the helipad, the runners start to investigate. At the same time an escaped Technomancer has tracked his former torturer, this AIPS specialst, to a bunraku palor, where Shiawase, the new employers of said specialist, hid their new hire before taking him out of the country. The revenge-bent 'mancer hacked the Indentity host, installed Desert Wars Veteran personas into the ladies and set them to attack - which caused the good Doctor to miss his scheduled flight.

When depening on when the runners arrive at the palor, they face the Yakuza, a Corp. Hit-Squad, and/or the armed-and-dangerous puppets. It was an entertaining scenario with lots of mini scenes like meeting a corp bachlor party in the bath house and the winner of the MegaPowerBall 2070 fighting off a Maria-Mercurial-Lookalike, a shoot-out in the zen garden on the roof and some more encounters along those lines. The VIP, in an uncomfortable stranglehold being tormented with no-filters-barred psychotropic IC, awaits his "rescue" by the runners.

Do the runners shoot the puppets and extract the target, or do they side with the Technomancer, who keeps sending them messages explaining his actions, once he realizes the runners are here for the good Doctor.

Depending on your play style, you can put an emphasis on moral of the story (shooting innocent puppets) or turn it into a pulp-y, Troma-esque shooting gallery.