NEWS

Dungeon Run 5.0

• 7 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <01-04-17/2039:18> »
In the past, I have done a  game with my players called Dungeon Run.  Their Fixer sends them a pre-released copy of a Matrix game for the Runners to try out as a favor to the fixer. (So he can make sure it's safe to give to his kids.)  What I did was take a Dungeons and Dragons adventure, and made it Shadowrun. I am planning to do this with my new group this Tuesday.  My other Shadowrun group really enjoyed the session when I ran Dungeon Run last time.

I have about 8 stereotypical fantasy characters made up for the players to choose.

I want to run it this Tuesday because new player hasn't finished making his mage character yet, and I don't think he will be done next week.  There might be one or two additional new players next week. Most of the players are not quite familiar with the combat rules yet.  Also I wanted to give players a chance to try different type of character to play.

One thing I was thinking about doing, is letting the group's Hacker and/or Technomancer hack game to be able unlock Street Samurai class.

I need a good Dungeons and Dragons Adventure to convert to Shadowrun, I don't want to run the same one I did last time.

Also any other ideas, thoughts or comments..

Thanks.

"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-05-17/1414:56> »
I'm planning something similar, except it's 200-ish years in the future and the players are exploring the massive keep beneath Neuschwanstein Castle in search of the missing queen. Turns into a metaplanar quest to rescue the queen's imprisoned spirit and reunite her with her body. Very D&D type of feel.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-17/0246:16> »
I'm planning something similar, except it's 200-ish years in the future and the players are exploring the massive keep beneath Neuschwanstein Castle in search of the missing queen. Turns into a metaplanar quest to rescue the queen's imprisoned spirit and reunite her with her body. Very D&D type of feel.

I thought about making it something magical like the group goes to a medieval Metaplane, but decided to go with Matrix game.  I wanted to show new players how deadly Shadowrun can be, and I won't feel as bad killing their Matrix game character, as I would killing their actual character, which a lot of my players put considerable time into making.

"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Kwai

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-17/1448:28> »
PC's are hired by the Atlantean Foundation for a closed alpha test of the new Dawn of Atlantis expansion and explore the limits of bleeding edge, next gen gaming (mana)tech!

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-07-17/2330:44> »
I almost have my characters finished for the players to choose.

Ork Barbarian -Adept with Beserkers Rage, Berserker Mentor Spirit, Combat Axe, Tough as Nails, and Leeeeeroy Jenkins Negative Quality

Bard -Mystic Adept with Enthralling Performance, Illusion Spell specialization

Dwarf Cleric -Mystic Adept, Protector (Bear) Mentor Spirit, with Lots of Health Spells, Banishing Skill

Druid -Mystic Adept Nature (Eagle) Mentor Spirit, Focused Concentration 5, Panther Form Spell, Summoning (Beast Spirits +2)

Fighter -Sword Martial Arts, Lightning Reflexes, High Edge

Monk -Adept, Wisdom (Wise Warrior) Mentor Spirit, Unarmed Martial Arts

Paladin -Mystic Adept, Similar to Cleric, but with higher fighting skills and less spells, also has flaming sword

Elf Ranger -Mystic Adept, Ambidextrous, Bow Adept Abilities, some Druid Spells, Animal Handling, Outdoors Skill Group

Rogue -Adept, Max Edge, Finishing Move Martial Art Maneuver, bolas,

Wizard - Full Magician, Exceptional Magic, Aged Negative Quality, 14 Spells.

Street Samurai -
« Last Edit: <01-08-17/0058:20> by Bushw4cker »

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-09-17/1033:46> »
I need a good Dungeons and Dragons Adventure to convert to Shadowrun, I don't want to run the same one I did last time.

Neat idea. I'd start with one of the classic AD&D dungeon crawls: Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, Dwellers of the Forbidden City, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Ravenloft, Temple of Elemental Evil ...

Angado

• Newb
  • I run, but the shadows keep catching me....
« Reply #6 on: <01-16-17/1446:10> »
I've looked at doing this for a metaplanar quest myself.

I think your idea is brilliant in a lot of ways and sounds like great fun.

As for adventures:  depending on if you want the game to be dangerous or not would seem to flavor flavor the choice a bit.. does it contain subliminal conditioning? Is it just this side of the legal definition of BTL and is it addictive?  Is the game a prototype that the fixer, "found" and if so why hasn't it been released yet? Is there a defect or bugs, or is the plot line not well defined?  Is it ready for release but someone slipped in some harmful biofeedback code that causes respiratory problems in the players?  (just some mean ideas and questions from me)

For older adventures I think Ravenloft is a nice option for the horror fan,  Desert of Desolation is nice for a psuedo-Egyptian flavor, and for a dungeon crawl its hard to beat Undermountain.

In light I find no privacy.... In darkness I find no fear.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-20-17/0835:15> »
I've looked at doing this for a metaplanar quest myself.

I think your idea is brilliant in a lot of ways and sounds like great fun.

As for adventures:  depending on if you want the game to be dangerous or not would seem to flavor flavor the choice a bit.. does it contain subliminal conditioning? Is it just this side of the legal definition of BTL and is it addictive?  Is the game a prototype that the fixer, "found" and if so why hasn't it been released yet? Is there a defect or bugs, or is the plot line not well defined?  Is it ready for release but someone slipped in some harmful biofeedback code that causes respiratory problems in the players?  (just some mean ideas and questions from me)

For older adventures I think Ravenloft is a nice option for the horror fan,  Desert of Desolation is nice for a psuedo-Egyptian flavor, and for a dungeon crawl its hard to beat Undermountain.

Well, I started game this week, and will finish game next week. I used Shrine of the Feathered Serpent D&D adventure. The game was a beta that the characters fixer "Found", he wants the Runners to make sure game isn't going to cause someones brain to melt, so he can sell the chips he has.

I added a few extra encounters to the adventure.

One of those was a drunk Juggernaut destroying a towns brewery.  I planned this encounter to be lesson for characters that there are some things you just shouldn't mess with. Well.. that did not go as plan.

I let the groups Technomancer Paracritter hunter enter the game as herself, with all her gear, and I forgot she had acquired a rocket launcher in an earlier game. She decides to shoot the Juggernaut. She doesn't do nearly enough damage to kill it, (they have 30 boxes of Physical Damage Track) but did 12 damage, and with a -4 Penalty, it made any attack the Juggernaut attempted, fail, It also had 4 Initiative,  so it never got to go more than once a round.  (I told the players that if this was not in the matrix game, the Juggernaut would have fled and not attacked them.).

The Technomancer the has idea to get on Juggernauts back, she gets on with 4 hits on Gymnastics test, then she starts firing explosive rounds with her Combat Shotgun into the hole that the rocket launcher made (I let her bypass the Juggernauts Hardened Armor.), and the Technomancer manages to kill the Juggernaut.

The Problem was that there aren't any special rules for going melee with a Juggernaut. (The groups face, who was playing a Paladin, was going melee with the Juggernaut, while the Technomancer was climbing and shooting it.) I was wondering if I should've treated the Juggernaut like a Vehicle? 

I didn't know what to do, partly because I thought there was no way the players were going to be able to kill it, and I was pretty sure they weren't even going to attack it, and if they did attack it, it was going to destroy them, so I was unprepared for the scenario of a wounded Juggernaut with an attacking DP of 6, and an Initiative of 4 + 1D6 (Even with Reach of 4, Paladin still was able to go full Defense every round and get 20 dice vs the Juggernauts 6.)

Stats for Juggernaut

[spoiler] B A R S W L I C EDG ESS M
20 6 5 42 9 1 3 1 4 6 6
Initiative 8 + 1D6
Movement x3/x5/+4
Condition Monitor 30/13
Limits Physical 37, Mental 5, Social 6
Armor 18H
Skills Perception 4, Running 7, Unarmed Combat 4
Powers Enhanced Senses (Hearing, Smell, Motion Detection),
Fear, Hardened Armor (18), Immunity (Cold, Fire,
Pathogens, Toxins), Natural Weapon (Claws: DV 42P, AP
–4), Toughness (12)
Weaknesses Reduced Senses (Sight)
Note +4 Reach
[/spoiler]