NEWS

SG Spirit powers

• 7 Replies

dlinch

• Newb
« on: <12-11-16/1630:26> »
SG, pg 193: "The following new powers are available to spirits in addition to those found in SR5."

Do the spirits in SR5 have the ability to know/learn the powers in SG? Or are the new powers simply for those spirits in SG? I have seen it interpreted both ways:
1) The SG powers are available to spirits (including those found in SR5) or
2) The SG powers are in addition to those in SR5 but only available to those that specifically state that they have access to them (ie only those spirits in SG).

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <12-11-16/1649:53> »
The SG powers are a supplement to the ones listed in the CRB.
So when you summon your Fire Spirit, you can pick powers from the SG list as you choose to and that are appropreate to the Spirit.

(Some powers are limited to a certain spirit type, so be aware of that.)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

dlinch

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-11-16/1659:16> »
Some powers are limited to a certain spirit type

Therein lies the crux of the issue. Yes, some powers are limited to a certain type of spirit. Which ones are available to the SR5 spirits? All of the new SG powers or just some. There isn't a list/breakdown of which powers are available to which spirits; which would lend one to believe that the SG powers are NOT available to any of the spirits in SR5.

What are you basing your position on? Can you please point to a rule or FAQ that clarifies?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <12-11-16/1712:58> »
The SG book itself, and the powers.

for example:

SG page 193
ANAPHYLAXIS
Type: P Action: Complex
Range: Touch Duration: Instant
Anaphylaxis is a massive systemic reaction induced
by a concentrated burst of pollutants from a toxic spirit.
Treat this as a toxin attack with the following ratings:
Vector: Inhalation
Speed: Immediate
Penetration: 0
Power: Force
Effect: Physical damage, anaphylactic shock

Or,

SG page 194
DEVOURING
Range: Touch Duration: Sustained
Insect spirits use the Devouring power to consume
all biomaterial (e.g., crops, wood, vegetation)
and most non-living objects. Some flesh-form and hybrid-
form spirits seem to derive sustenance from this
consumption, whereas others regurgitate the material
for constructing parts of their hive. The spirit makes an
Opposed Test, using the spirit’s Force x 2 against the
Object Resistance (p. 295, SR5) of all possible materials/
objects within (Magic) meters (to save time, the
gamemaster may choose to roll once for the spirit and
then roll Object Resistance for each object or object
type). If the spirit gets any net hits against a particular
object, that object is devoured. While this power is
sustained, barriers lose 1 point of Structure Rating and
vehicles take 1 box of damage per Combat Turn. Living
critters and characters are unaffected.

Granted, some are less clear, and this is why careful reading of the power and the spirit is sometimes needed. But many of the restricted powers will tell you exactly what type of spirit can use them.

You can down load and read the newest SRM errata (11/17/16) from
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjshcgquyww3od4/SRM%20Chicago%20FAQ%20Ver%200.8.pdf?dl=0
« Last Edit: <12-11-16/1716:21> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

dlinch

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-11-16/1930:57> »
AURA MASKING
Type: M Action: Free
Range: Self Duration: Sustained
Sometimes a spirit doesn’t want someone to assense
its natural aura. This power functions like Masking
(p. 326, SR5) and Extended Masking metamagics.
Use the spirit’s Edge in place of its initiate grade. The
spirit can also hide its own use of powers on itself
within the mask; only a magician who pierces this
mask can see the spirit using such powers. A spirit can
mask itself to look like another astral being, but it cannot
try to pass itself off as a mundane being unless it
is attached to a physical body or has the Realistic Form
power (p. 198).

STORM
Range: Special Duration: Special
A spirit with this power can send a massive, destructive
elemental storm against a targeted area. Icy rain,
bolts of lightning, gale-force winds, and more strike the
area. The affected area’s radius equals the spirit’s Magic
x 100 meters. The spirit makes a single Unarmed Combat
+ Magic [Force] Test, and all characters, creatures,
and objects in the area are considered subject to Suppressive
Fire (p. 179, SR5). The storm’s base Damage
Value is (Force)P.

It does appear that Storm is the purview of Great Form spirits.
Aura Masking is listed for Free Spirits, Flesh Form Inhabvitation and Shedim.

I have read all the powers and have not found one that says it is usable by a SR5 spirit. I am curious as to which ones (and where it is written) are usable by SR5 Spirits. I understand that some of them are pretty blatant as to which spirits can use them. Most of the SG powers however, don't say anything.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Just trying to ensure I understand the RAW and RAI and Rules according to SRM.
« Last Edit: <12-12-16/0604:48> by dlinch »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-12-16/0643:50> »
SG, pg 193: "The following new powers are available to spirits in addition to those found in SR5."

Do the spirits in SR5 have the ability to know/learn the powers in SG? Or are the new powers simply for those spirits in SG? I have seen it interpreted both ways:
1) The SG powers are available to spirits (including those found in SR5) or
2) The SG powers are in addition to those in SR5 but only available to those that specifically state that they have access to them (ie only those spirits in SG).

The quote on page 193 says that they are new powers "available to spirits." It does not say that they are powers available to the normal list spirits that can be summoned, or even the six original types of spirits in the Core Rulebook. The new powers in Street Grimoire do not add anything to the list of powers available to those original spirits. But they are powers "available to spirits" in that spirits capable of simply selecting any spirit power out there can select from that list. This could be Free Spirits, Insects, Toxics, etc. based on what the individual kinds of spirits are capable of selecting and how their powers are limited (if at all).

They are new spirit powers, yes. But they don't change the list of powers you can get on your summoned spirits. That specific list is set, and they don't get access to other powers. The only exception would be a metamagic or other circumstance (f.e. Great Form) that specifically says "spirit gains X power"

The SG powers are a supplement to the ones listed in the CRB.
So when you summon your Fire Spirit, you can pick powers from the SG list as you choose to and that are appropreate to the Spirit.

(Some powers are limited to a certain spirit type, so be aware of that.)

Not sure where you get this idea Reaver, a Normal Fire spirit doesn't get access to Magical Guard, Desire Reflection, etc. The various spirits have a specific list of powers that they get and the list of optional powers. Even the 4 new spirits listed on 193 of SG have a similar limited access. Only two or three of the new powers in book are available to the basic spirits.
« Last Edit: <12-12-16/0654:33> by Kiirnodel »

dlinch

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-12-16/2157:52> »
Only two or three of the new powers in book are available to the basic spirits.

I haven't been able to find any Kiirnodel. Which powers can be used by the basic spirits?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-12-16/2313:56> »
Sorry, I didn't phrase myself well. When I said some powers are available to "basic spirits" I meant non-twisted/toxic and non-great form spirits. So basically just the 4 new types on page 193 (Guardian, Guidance, Plant, & Task), I consider these "basic" because they aren't special in any way apart from being available to the new traditions.

So to clarify, of the new powers, Guardian spirits get Magical Guard; Guidance spirits get Divining, Magical Guard, and Shadow Cloak; and Plant spirits get Magical Guard; So those (Divining, Magical Guard, and Shadow Cloak) are the three powers I meant. But no, they aren't available to the six original spirits, just three of the new "basics."