NEWS

Just what is a Matrix Signature?

• 3 Replies

忍

« on: <04-30-16/0042:38> »
TMs can erase it with an Erase Matrix Signature action, however I can't find such a mechanic in SR5. Sure there's a Resonance Signature, but is that the same thing? Why is it a matrix action if only resonance beings can see, make, and erase it?

Bluetooth

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <04-30-16/0049:58> »
I see it kinda as a digital watermark. The matrix records everything so somewhere in all that data is a record of everything you do. Just a matter of finding it. So everytime you edit something it is tucked away in the data.
"How was I supposed to know that I am an escaped clone created as away of policing a secret society of mages? I had amnesia!" - Riley

Bluetooth

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-30-16/0057:09> »
Also after a little reading while at work, I think your matrix sig is part of how GOD tracks you and eventually call down convergence.
"How was I supposed to know that I am an escaped clone created as away of policing a secret society of mages? I had amnesia!" - Riley

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #3 on: <04-30-16/2335:54> »
One problem with these writers, is when they use the same terms to describe completely different concepts. Another problem is when they use different terms for the same things.

Matrix Signature is the same thing as Resonance Signature. It doesn't have anything to do with GOD or Convergence. It's a mark left behind by Resonance beings, only visible to other Resonance beings. But there are such thing as Corp Spider TMs, and they will notice your fingerprints left behind at a crime scene.

For whatever reason, they decided to make Erase Signature an Attack based Matrix action instead of a Resonance action like all the rest. Which means you risk OS for performing it, and risk taking damage if you fail the check.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.