NEWS

Missions FAQ update?

• 38 Replies

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-19-16/0038:43> »
Some nice changes in this one. Definitely a pleasant surprise to see some Code of Honor choices becoming available.

Loosing the ability to upgrade Cultured Bioware kinda sucks. I can understand why as there's no resale value, but would upgrading from Cerebral Booster 1 to Cerebral Booster 2 really be starting from scratch? Going up a grade I can fully understand being a complete replacement, but seems like increasing a rating would be adding more to the existing system?

All in all some good changes, I'm liking the way things are headed.

Thank you very much!  The SRM FAQ Committee appreciates positive feedback greatly!

As an FYI, I went back to the very first SRM FAQ and the ability to upgrade cultured bioware was already not allowed.  It's something we can discuss.

Fair enough... I've come in at 5th so wouldn't know about earlier version. And I understand not bejng able to do the normal upgrading because of lack if resale.

Pehaps something to consider for discussions is allowing uprgade of Rating only at something like Difference +65-85%. Im sure that even if you could just add more to Cultured Bioware there'd be a lot of work tieing the two together, but the foundation is already there...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-19-16/0555:16> »
Something that didn't get covered. Is it intended for Missions to use the expanded bow and/or concealment rules from Hard Targets P196-197?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-19-16/0804:16> »
Something that didn't get covered. Is it intended for Missions to use the expanded bow and/or concealment rules from Hard Targets P196-197?

Good questions, I can see from the wording on concealment where clarification is needed; we'll add it to the next FAQ release.

Concealment:  yes, allowed, but as always, the GM has the final call at the table if someone tries to conceal something crazy, e.g. I'm wearing a t-shirt and I want to conceal a Light Pistol on my arms.

Expanded bow:  yes, allowed
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-19-16/1709:31> »

Good questions, I can see from the wording on concealment where clarification is needed; we'll add it to the next FAQ release.

Concealment:  yes, allowed, but as always, the GM has the final call at the table if someone tries to conceal something crazy, e.g. I'm wearing a t-shirt and I want to conceal a Light Pistol on my arms.

Expanded bow:  yes, allowed

Great to hear, especially the bow rules as there's a MA Archer in my group. Thanks for the quick reply.

Aaaand I have another couple of questions now, both to do with Assassin's Primer.

First off, is Code of Honor: Assassin's Creed(or something compatible) a prerequisite for the Assassin's Primer qualities? They are somewhat described as modifications or extensions to the Assassin's Creed on P16.

Secondly, "Strive For Perfection" P17 was written before Run Faster and the expanded list of Called Shots. Is the half dice pool penalty to be applied no matter how big the penalty? or should it just be an assumed -2?
« Last Edit: <02-19-16/1722:18> by ScytheKnight »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <02-21-16/1609:42> »
For drugs that have a variable duration of effect (i.e. requires a 1d6 die roll to determine duration), how do we determine their duration when used in downtime?
« Last Edit: <02-21-16/1612:38> by SichoPhiend »
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #20 on: <02-21-16/1952:19> »
Noticing a number of changes to the qualities allowed/disallowed lists.  Interesting...

I'm noticing the master list & the by book list to not match up.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #21 on: <02-22-16/0731:29> »
Noticing a number of changes to the qualities allowed/disallowed lists.  Interesting...

I'm noticing the master list & the by book list to not match up.

Well, it's supposed to match up, but sometimes I miss things.  If you already know exactly which ones don't match, could you please provide the specific items so I can get that fixed for the next release?
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #22 on: <02-22-16/0733:05> »
For drugs that have a variable duration of effect (i.e. requires a 1d6 die roll to determine duration), how do we determine their duration when used in downtime?

I had never considered the fact players would use drugs during downtime.  May I assume this is to increase attributes in order to get more dice for skill tests during downtime?
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <02-22-16/0937:03> »
You may absolutely assume it is to get more dice for downtime use, but in this case it the magical compound Wudu'aku from Chrome Flesh which gives extra conjuring dice for Spirits of Man.  But yes, you have the right idea.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #24 on: <02-22-16/1116:23> »
You may absolutely assume it is to get more dice for downtime use, but in this case it the magical compound Wudu'aku from Chrome Flesh which gives extra conjuring dice for Spirits of Man.  But yes, you have the right idea.

We'll discuss it at an upcoming call.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

bull30548

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <02-22-16/1423:21> »
If I may make argument in regards to not being able to simply upgrade cultured bioware?  In the case of bioware it is generic and does not need specific dna and knowledge to make a replacement or upgrade.  However, cultured bioware requires just that a culture of the area that is being upgraded.  If you change the original with an upgrade of say level 1 you would have to go back to the same place for level 2.  On top of which said bioware has to be grown and matured and cultured is more complicated and as previously stated it requires samples of the subject.  Tell me what runner would let any facility keep his records on file so that they can upgrade at a later date?  Well, that is my argument why it shouldn't be allowed.
GM Guy
Catalyst Game Labs Agent

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <02-22-16/1944:55> »
Is upgrading foci allowed as per the Street Grimoire rules? If yes, I'd think upgrading 'ware should be allowed to, and not for those cutthroat prices of "sell your old ware for 30% then buy your new ware at 100%". Otherwise, a wared up samurai is unlikely to get much new ware in the course of a season or five, or you might as well just start out with little to no ware and buy the upgraded versions directly. Which might be entirely plausible...

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-23-16/0303:15> »
Is upgrading foci allowed as per the Street Grimoire rules? If yes, I'd think upgrading 'ware should be allowed to, and not for those cutthroat prices of "sell your old ware for 30% then buy your new ware at 100%". Otherwise, a wared up samurai is unlikely to get much new ware in the course of a season or five, or you might as well just start out with little to no ware and buy the upgraded versions directly. Which might be entirely plausible...

Have you actually read the last two FAQs? That's been in there, the distinction this version is you're not allowed to do it to Cultured Bioware as there's no resale market.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #28 on: <02-23-16/0829:37> »
Question(s) about Unarmed Combat Specializations, or lack thereof...

Quote from: SRM Chicago FAQ ver 0.2, page 16
Specializations may not be chosen for Unarmed Combat. The Martial Arts rules from ​ Run & Gun
(pgs. 128­142) should be used instead. If you purchased a specialization for Unarmed Combat under the
original FAQ rules you get refunded 7 Karma that can be spent however you like.

Two things...
One, this comes across a little confusing because

Quote from: SRM Chicago FAQ ver 0.2, page 34
Can we use the Martial Arts as a Specialization from the sidebar on ​ Run & Gun, ​ pg. 135?

Yes, but it only applies to the skill listed in the chart. The optional rule to allow some MA’s to give
you two different specializations is not used.

Which a good portion of this chart are specializations in Unarmed Combat.  So you have one part of the FAQ saying no to UA specializations and another saying yes to UA specializations, as long as they are with the appropriate martial art.  You may want to consider rewording one or both of these to lessen potential confusion.

And two, REALLY!  I still can't take an Unarmed Combat specialization in Cyber Implant Weaponry!?  What the he... heck?

This was discussed and you will see the correction/clarification in the next FAQ release.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #29 on: <02-23-16/0832:34> »
Some nice changes in this one. Definitely a pleasant surprise to see some Code of Honor choices becoming available.

Loosing the ability to upgrade Cultured Bioware kinda sucks. I can understand why as there's no resale value, but would upgrading from Cerebral Booster 1 to Cerebral Booster 2 really be starting from scratch? Going up a grade I can fully understand being a complete replacement, but seems like increasing a rating would be adding more to the existing system?

All in all some good changes, I'm liking the way things are headed.

After a good discussion and research into cultured bioware, this will not change.  It comes down to the fact cultured bioware must be tailor made and is a full replacement.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team