NEWS

Slave / Master, can devices be daisy chained?

• 7 Replies

Turkish

• Chummer
« on: <11-07-15/1409:29> »
First off, my understanding of the Matrix is kinda shaky when it comes to certain aspects.  Getting straight to my question:  Can I slave a device, that has its own slaves, to another master device?  Would there be any benefit?  Would it make things worse?  I am envisioning a rigger having his personal gear slaved to his commlink and then said commlink being slaved to his RCC.  Would this just in effect mean that everything is slaved to the RCC or could you optimize your PAN to take the most advantage of the different devices at the different slave/master heirarchies?

My thinking would be that perhaps the rigger has a receiver dongle on his RCC, but then his commlink has a stealth dongle.  Would the devices slaved to the commlink gain the benefits of both the stealth and receiver dongle?

jofer234

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <11-07-15/1415:15> »
No.
The device can be Master or Slave.Not both.
I am sorry for my bad english.Thanks to the Sixth world goverment education for that :/

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-07-15/1431:49> »
Nope, a device is either a master or a slave.
It's not really clear if you can put a dongle on a RCC, but if the GM allows it you can indeed have the dongle combo.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Turkish

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <11-07-15/1501:21> »
Quote from: SR5 Core Rulebook, page 266
A rigger command console, or RCC, is like a deck for controlling drones (or other vehicles and devices). It’s about the size of a briefcase. It can act like a commlink and has all the features of a commlink in addition to the cool drone stuff. The main purpose of the RCC is to create a PAN with your drones. This gives the standard master-slave benefits (see PANs and WANs, p. 233), but the RCC comes with some extra features.

Bold and italics for emphasis.  My interpretation of RAW was that, yes your RCC can have a dongle.  As for my original question, that makes sense.  I suppose that you could handwave it and say that certain devices are connected via other devices, but that would just be flavor for the rules. imo.
« Last Edit: <11-07-15/1503:40> by Turkish »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-08-15/0150:54> »
After sleeping a night over the problem I have to add one thing:
Once you form your persona on the commlink you can no longer be slaved to the RCC.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-08-15/0946:32> »
Right so your drone icons will be viewable within 100 meters or with a simple matrix perception and can easily be taken down with anyone that has a matrix attack rating and the only thing you can do to run silent is maybe your logic as a dicepool except you have no stealth rating unless you have a stealth dongle, have fun being a rigger!

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #6 on: <11-08-15/2002:50> »
Quote from: SR5 Core Rulebook, page 266
A rigger command console, or RCC, is like a deck for controlling drones (or other vehicles and devices). It’s about the size of a briefcase. It can act like a commlink and has all the features of a commlink in addition to the cool drone stuff. The main purpose of the RCC is to create a PAN with your drones. This gives the standard master-slave benefits (see PANs and WANs, p. 233), but the RCC comes with some extra features.

Bold and italics for emphasis.  My interpretation of RAW was that, yes your RCC can have a dongle.  As for my original question, that makes sense.  I suppose that you could handwave it and say that certain devices are connected via other devices, but that would just be flavor for the rules. imo.

This is very interesting. A Receiver dongle would be pretty awesome to put on an RCC. Then you have room to add a Program Carrier module to toss on that Electronic Warfare Autosoft 6 running at all times on your RCC instead of the Vectored Signal Filter - although a Multidimensional Coprocessor could be the better choice.

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #7 on: <11-10-15/2256:56> »
There's been lots of debate over whether being able to use dongles is a "feature" of a commlink in that sense.  But FWIW, my interpretation is, NO dongles cannot be used on an RCC.  They are only for commlinks, not RCCs nor cyberdecks (which by the way, also have all the features of a commlink). 

The latest missions FAQ also explicitly forbids using dongles on RCCs.