NEWS

First experience

• 27 Replies

jayhawk1106

« on: <01-04-11/1129:07> »
I'm new here (obviously,lol) and I was curious about everyone's first shadowrun experience.  How'd you find out about Shadowrun?  What was your very first run?  What "class" did you use?

Mine was the Sega Genesis version for the game.  After playing, I was VERY curious about the lore and grabbed the 3E book and read.  My first run was when I made my brother play "On the Run" with me.  I played a decker. 

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-04-11/1203:32> »
I got into Shadowrun the day that the game was released and my roommate picked up the book.  It looked interesting, so he grabbed it.  I started out playing a former corp wage mage (illusionist specialty).  The very first game was the very first published adventure:  Food Fight.

My love for the game has spiraled out of control ever since.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-04-11/1351:44> »
Played BattleTech for years now...started in the 80s. I saw the FASA catalog, saw the other games they sold, and promptly forgot about them.

Then I went up to GenCon, decided in 2000 to play the Shadowrun demo. Had fun, and promptly forgot about it.

Then I got to know Jason H. through his work with BattleTech. Picked up a copy of the 20th Edition and a few other print books, then kept an eye out for games being played in/around Chicago. It's been fun.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <01-04-11/1422:25> »
Ahh, Larry Elmore, you sly devil.

An elf, a bikini-clad mage and a Native American dual-wielding uzis. Toss in the Secrets of Power trilogy and I was doomed in my teenage years. I spent the next two years buying everything that came out while hopelessly searching for a gaming group willing to play. It wasn't until one of my first gaming cons (LehiCon '93? '94? in Easton, Pa) that I actually got to sit down and play in the game I love. Ironically, that was the same convention when I first met Ed Greenwood of Forgotten Realms fame.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-04-11/1439:29> »
Linky no worky.
There is no overkill.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #5 on: <01-04-11/1443:28> »
I played the game once when I was 13 or 14.  A friend of mine picked one of the earlier books up (I can't recall which edition) and I made a butt-ugly, suped up troll sammie.  I think I managed to get killed in the one and only game we played.  It's a bit fuzzy.  I always rather liked the game, but I never really had a chance to play it much and really get into it until 4th ed came out.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #6 on: <01-04-11/1448:55> »
I have been a fan of Battletech(MechWarrior) Since the mid 80's I heard about ShadowRun back then but wasn't interested in anything cyberpunk at the time. I was a Giant Robot junkie (even liked Johny Sokko). So I never played the game.

After the turn of the century (2000s) I became a FanPro Commando and picked up a 3rd edition master rules. Loved the writing but the game mechanics were still to cumbersome for my liking, but the setting had also gain a bit more grit and a bit less CyberPunk. Still didn't feel the urge to play.

Last year my daughter(Chaotic Insane)'s Boyfriend (The Doomed One) wanted to try 4th ed & I said sure! Hey I wasn't running it and I did have some experience with the Company so I figured why not ? We made our characters. Me a Minotaur (Usda Beph) and I had a ball once we worked out most of the rules. I want to play some more but logistics of not having a home to play in kinda puts a damper on that.

And the days of getting a hotel/motel room to game all night are long behind me.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-04-11/1504:32> »
Oh, Lord!  Johnny Socko!!

Crazy show!
There is no overkill.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #8 on: <01-04-11/1505:18> »
I want to play some more but logistics of not having a home to play in kinda puts a damper on that.
I've had that problem myself.  For a while we all just sat on or around mine and my gf's bed to play.  But that gets awkward, cramped, and uncomfortable quickly.  We've also sat on the floor, sat on the floor around a coffee table, sat on boxes and end tables and crap around a card table, and a couple of other situations that just resulted in more crabbiness and back pain than fun.  We're a stubborn bunch though.   ;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <01-04-11/1508:30> »
Linky no worky.
It should work, just takes a while to load. Doesn't really matter, it's just a really good copy of the old 1E cover by Mr. Elmore.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #10 on: <01-04-11/1511:16> »
I got a 403 error.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #11 on: <01-04-11/1524:46> »
Oh, Lord!  Johnny Socko!!

Crazy show!
Why Yes. Yes it was.

Quote from: Dead Monkey
I've had that problem myself.  For a while we all just sat on or around mine and my gf's bed to play.  But that gets awkward, cramped, and uncomfortable quickly.  We've also sat on the floor, sat on the floor around a coffee table, sat on boxes and end tables and crap around a card table, and a couple of other situations that just resulted in more crabbiness and back pain than fun.  We're a stubborn bunch though.
Yeah it would be. My biggest problem is the house we're livin in isn't mine to hava a game at. The basement is big enough but I'd have two wive's and 5 kids to deal with. ANd my wife is hard enough to work with when it comes to gaming! ::)
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #12 on: <01-04-11/1542:27> »
Yeah it would be. My biggest problem is the house we're livin in isn't mine to hava a game at. The basement is big enough but I'd have two wive's and 5 kids to deal with. ANd my wife is hard enough to work with when it comes to gaming!  ::)
That does indeed suck.  Ummm......crap.  I got nothing.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <01-04-11/1614:24> »
I got a 403 error.
I'll see if I can't get another copy up when I get home tonight.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: <01-04-11/2052:46> »
Best friend in high school showed me the 2nd Ed book in about...94. Read through it, seemed ok and had the added bonus of being something OTHER than DnD (which I had a MAD hate-on for at the time and everyone else LOVED). Got my hands on Street Sam Catalogue and later Fields of Fire...was game over, or more like GAME ON! Over a few weeks my brain started turning and a character concept of a futuristic gunslinger/solider came to mind. Did a few trial games, mainly to learn the mechanics, then had my first game about a month later playing a cybered merc. Played two more sessions but had to end it due to lack of interest. Did a few more sessions but nothing to write about. Things didnt REALLY pick up until Feb 96 when I met my soon-to-be runner team at the now defunct Tol-Con '96 playing a street gang. From 96 till about 2000, it was almost every weekend running the shadows...ah good times.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.