NEWS

[Resource] Custom Life Modules

• 7 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« on: <01-06-15/1230:11> »
Like many people who have read Run Faster, I love the book, and I want more.  I noticed there was a distinct lack of corporate-born life modules, and a shortage of nations to choose from as well.  I'm hoping to rectify this somewhat.  Now, I can't tell what formula was used to determine the number of skills, attributes, etc. for the current Life Modules, but I tried my best to keep it balanced.  The logic being that we have to assume every stat is being increased by a factor of 1, and the base karma increase is what is used to determine the value of a particular increase.

For instance, any increase to an attribute is worth 10 points.  Active Skills are 2 points, Skill Groups are 5, and Knowledge Skills are 1.  This is derived from the Karma Advancement Tables on page 107 of the core book.  I tried to spend 25 points worth of Karma (from the negative quality that each of these come with) and then I spent 15 karma on the universal skills to make up the 15 karma cost for the module.

Anyway, I hope that someone out there can make use of these, and hopefully they aren't too much.  I welcome constructive feedback and criticism.  I will add some nationalities to the list if I have time.  I know the CFS is being worked on already by others, so I'll probably roll theirs into mine with permission.

Corporate Born Life Modules
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-15/1303:06> »
Nice stuff--I imagine fan-created Life Modules will be pretty popular content (or at least, I hope so).

Minor correction: Wuxing's language should be Cantonese. 

I'd be tempted to replace the corp-specific Knowledge skills with something more flavorful.  For example, Knowledge (Wuxing) becomes Knowledge (Ley Lines) and Knowledge (Horizon) becomes Knowledge (Social Conditioning).
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-15/1312:24> »
Minor correction: Wuxing's language should be Cantonese. 

I wasn't 100% on that, and didn't bother checking the Corporate Guide.  I'll update.  Good catch.  :)

I'd be tempted to replace the corp-specific Knowledge skills with something more flavorful.  For example, Knowledge (Wuxing) becomes Knowledge (Ley Lines) and Knowledge (Horizon) becomes Knowledge (Social Conditioning).

I was seriously tempted to do this too.  I'd be comfortable letting people swap knowledge skills freely at my table, so long as it's a 1:1 ratio.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-15/1346:21> »
In these days of cybercrime, I don't click tinyurl links. For all I know, Namikaze could be phishing us all :D

Seriously though, nice initiative!

Nevyn

• Chummer
  • We are all ready to be savage in some cause
« Reply #4 on: <03-01-15/1540:39> »
Totally agree: I'm posting the same message on the RunFaster product in Catalyst's Shadowrun Products folder http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=19007.0

I have a few ideas:

Nationality: British;
Primary Language: English
Secondary: Anything European: Polish, French, German, Italian, Spanish,
Computer +1, Knowledge History + 1
Region: London;
Logic +1, Reaction +1, Etiquette +1, Knowledge: London 1; SINner (5)

In addition: What about a new path: Rebel?
Formative years Rebel has skills like Orphan but with Leadership +1, Con +1, Running +1 instead of Professional Knowledge +3. This is a direct 1:1 point transfer from a knowledge to active skills ~ so I'm willing to drop it to a 3:2 and drop Leadership.
Teen Years Rebel has attributes like Street Kid but Blades +1, Computers +1, Software +1 instead of the Acting Group (again a 1:1 but they're all active skills) and Sneaking +1, Negotiation +1, Street Knowledge (City) +1 instead of the Stealth group (yet again 1:1)

Rebel is basically the kid who didn't try hard but was born with moxy and street smarts. I think this works well with orks especially if they're aware of their own mortality.

Thoughts?
speaking out loud
matrix actions/communication
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-01-15/2229:46> »
Sounds good.  I like the idea of the rebellious youth.  Maybe the teen version could be called "Punk?"

Nevyn

• Chummer
  • We are all ready to be savage in some cause
« Reply #6 on: <03-02-15/1021:23> »
speaking out loud
matrix actions/communication
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-11-15/1530:39> »
Every nationality gives either 1 or no attribute increase...yours has 2, so it is already not balanced with the rest.

"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral