NEWS

[Resource][5th Edition] Advanced Technomancer Rules

• 41 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« on: <10-19-14/0029:44> »
I thought I had already posted this here, but it turns out I did not.  Oops!

So one of my crew is a Technomancer, and we were both seriously bummed about the lack of advanced rules for Technomancers - we felt that Unwired really did a lot of flesh out their mysticism and create a lot of diversity within the Technomancer archetype.  So I created a conversion document that converts Streams, Paragons, and Echoes from Unwired to 5th edition.  Obviously this will be of little use once we actually have these rules in front of us, but hopefully they will help someone else out in the meantime.

Bear in mind that at my table, Technomancers start with the Skinlink echo for free.  The rules for it are that the Skinlink works within the electromagnetic field of the character - which means that if something is on their back or in their pocket, they can access it.  Sort of like the wireless datajacks that deckers get.

Without further ado, here is the link to the Technomancer conversion: Link
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <10-19-14/0745:38> »
I like a lot of it.  Can I give feedback here?

I figure you probably made this before Street Grimoire?  Regardless, in SG they made it so group initiation and initiation tasks only give -10% each.  I'd assume then that TMs should be reduced to the same amount.

I like how you did Mesh Reality.  It's how I was thinking it'd work best, I just wasn't sure if that'd be considered "too complicated".  Though I think you should add about how interrupt actions work.  Like if you take a Parry action, which initiative(s) it affects.  I'd suggest both--  Just to stop players from uncaringly tanking their physical initiative after rolling it.  Like a "Oh I rolled 18?  Well my Matrix is only 26 and I plan on taking two matrix actions.  Full Defense and Preemptive Dodge.  There we go!"

Unless that's something you want to be possible.

Thank you for sharing!
« Last Edit: <10-19-14/0749:38> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-20-14/0047:58> »
I welcome feedback!  I did indeed write these rules before Street Grimoire, and as a result I didn't know anything about the potential changes.  Now that I know, and that you've told me, I'll update the document to reflect this as a balancing effect.  Also, I agree with your assessment on Mesh Reality - actions that affect Initiative in one "realm" should affect both the physical and Matrix realms.

After looking through Street Grimoire I decided that I really like the Ways.  They give the mage more flavor than just being a "mage."  Now a mage can reasonably and realistically label themselves as "geomancers" and "exorcists" and anything in between.  I'd like to find a way to implement something similar for Technomancers, moving some of the Echoes and Advanced Echoes into various Ways.  It will hopefully act as a gating agent for progression, to prevent people from being too cheesy with their build.  Plus, it allows the inclusion of really powerful Advanced Echoes without worrying that everyone will take that new shiny thing, even if it's completely counter the character concept.

I was thinking that each Way could get an Advanced Echo and an Enhancement.  The Enhancement is a new Matrix action that the Technomancer can perform, and the Advanced Echo is a powerful ability that can only be unlocked via Submersion.  The question is how to differentiate the Ways from the Streams, and what the Enhancements would be.  I'll think on it a bit, but I welcome input, suggestions, constructive criticism, and feedback.  :)

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <10-20-14/0148:35> »
Ways are currently only adept things, the "geomancer" or "exorcist" is gained through Initiation by a mage. So, it could be an "Echo Stream" (substitute something that sounds better) that you can get into when you submerge.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-20-14/0434:52> »
Yeah that's true - it wouldn't be a Way per se.  I dunno what on earth I'd want to call it though.  Maybe...  Algorithms?  Compilations?  OOooh, or maybe Daemons?  I like that one, personally.

I was just looking through this very comprehensive list of terms used in computing: http://pc.net/glossary/

I've done a lot of IT work in the past, but to be honest I can't think of these kinds of terms without a frame of reference.  Finding this online glossary is helpful.  It could be useful in coming up with some Enhancement names too.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #5 on: <10-20-14/1153:16> »
Well the groups in Street Grimoire are more akin to schools of magic.  Different from spell categories because it's magic in general and not just sorcery.

"Algorithm" would be good for the Enhancements, if they're going to be new actions that TM can perform.  For the schools...  How about "domains"?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <10-20-14/1208:34> »
I think "Algorithms" is a good one for Enhancements as well. "Pseudocode" might be interesting as well, if you want the whole thing with Resonance Actions and Resonance Sprites don't even look like viable code but still crazily work. I was thinking something like "Languages" or "Scripts" for the different types of Ways would be descriptive, but they sound too mundane and/or silly in my mind. "Domains", like firebug said, seem like a pretty good choice to me.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #7 on: <10-20-14/1341:01> »
Archetypes? Class? Not sure.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-20-14/1417:48> »
I like domain as well!  Let's roll with that for now.

The way to handle domains would be to throw in an Enhancement and an Advanced Echo for each domain.  A domain should cover an aspect of technomancy/hacking.  Let's say we need 5 domains, just to throw a nice number on it.  I think the areas of hacking that the domains cover could be associated with a Matrix action, such as Brute Force, Hack on the Fly, Control Device, Crack File, Edit File?  I'm worried that might make them too much like the Paragons though.  So maybe it should be more broad, such as covering Hacking, Remote Operations, File Manipulation, Physical Interfaces (aka: Biowire and such), Noise Manipulation?

I like the idea of the second option, where domains don't cover Matrix actions per se, but rather a suite of things that technomancers should or could be good at.

8-bit

« Reply #9 on: <10-20-14/1618:06> »
I kind of like something like this:

Hacking - Covers all sorts of ways of creating worms and backdoors into code to sneakily gain access
Cracking - Covers all sorts of ways to send brute force algorithms and break down firewalls to gain access noisily, but effectively
Subversion - Covers all sorts of ways to subvert communications and delicately manage signals; embodied by things like spoofing and tracking, possibly even Control Device
Jamming - Covers ways to noisily block communications and signals; embodied by jamming, noise manipulation, and erasing marks to name a few
Compiling/Registering/Software - Covers ways to more efficiently compile, register, bolster, strengthen, etc. Sprites

The names could be changed, but for 5 basic groups, that's what I would think of. Especially since Technomancers already have a favored action, some like to infiltrate, which would be covered by Hacking, some like to noisily break thing open, which would be covered by Cracking, etc. I especially like the idea of a domain that covers sprites, for those who like to rely on them and those who are creating a closer connection to the Resonance in that manner.

Edit: Another thing I thought of were something like Great Form Sprites; whether that would be available to all Technomancers or just those who follow the last domain I listed, I'm not sure. I think it would be interesting though.
« Last Edit: <10-20-14/1620:48> by 8-bit »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-20-14/1712:12> »
I like it - especially the Great Form Sprites.  I'd make those available only to the compiling domain though.

So hacking would be subtle, cracking would be obvious.  Otherwise, how would they be different from Brute Force and Hack on the Fly actions?  Maybe instead of Cracking we have Remote Operations, aka drones?  It could be more focused on the physical, or interacting with the physical via the Matrix.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <10-20-14/1716:53> »
So are Domains like Adept Ways, where you can only follow 1, or like Magician Arts, where you can initiate into multiple ones?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

8-bit

« Reply #12 on: <10-20-14/1748:24> »
I like it - especially the Great Form Sprites.  I'd make those available only to the compiling domain though.

So hacking would be subtle, cracking would be obvious.  Otherwise, how would they be different from Brute Force and Hack on the Fly actions?  Maybe instead of Cracking we have Remote Operations, aka drones?  It could be more focused on the physical, or interacting with the physical via the Matrix.

I don't know, I just thought of them as like mindsets for Technomancers. A part of the resonance that meshes with their personality and enhances their abilities. I don't actually have that good of an explanation for it; I just thought about it and wrote something. It's definitely a first draft and needs to brainstorming to improve. My main reasoning for the categories are the specialties that a Technomancer could gravitate towards. Some like to be subtle, that one is obviously Hacking. Some like to be noisy and strip code and firewalls wherever they go - that would be Cracking. I then thought about how Electronic Warfare basically encompasses all of communications, but there are really 2 sides to it. There's the subtle side, like intercepting messages and spoofing commands; and then there's the obvious side, like jamming, other noise manipulation, and, in my mind, disruption of signals such as marks. So, I split that group into 2. Finally, I thought about Sprites and how you could maybe create a Compiler, the Matrix version of a Conjurer. Some people may not even do their own hacking, but instead create a veritable army of versatile sprites, so I included that as an option.

If anything, I would possibly combine Jamming and Subverting and put in Remote Operations. That would include stuff like drones, control device, and echoes like Biowire, Acceleration and Mesh Reality.

I would also just like to say, since I don't think I have, that I really like your houserules on Technomancers. I never played 4th, so all of this is still somewhat new to me, and it looks like it would make a Technomancer actually appealing to play.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #13 on: <10-20-14/1826:09> »
I would like to suggest the addition of a Reflex Recorder complex form. Subject to the Same limits as a Bioware Reflex recorder. The idea being a real world macro basically.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-20-14/1912:53> »
So are Domains like Adept Ways, where you can only follow 1, or like Magician Arts, where you can initiate into multiple ones?

I was thinking of them as being like the Magician Arts, but brainstorming like crazy hasn't resulted in a plethora of options, so maybe they should be more like an Adept Way?  Jury's still out on this one.

I don't know, I just thought of them as like mindsets for Technomancers.

No worries, amigo.  I wasn't trying to criticize.  :)

A part of the resonance that meshes with their personality and enhances their abilities. I don't actually have that good of an explanation for it; I just thought about it and wrote something. It's definitely a first draft and needs to brainstorming to improve. My main reasoning for the categories are the specialties that a Technomancer could gravitate towards. Some like to be subtle, that one is obviously Hacking. Some like to be noisy and strip code and firewalls wherever they go - that would be Cracking. I then thought about how Electronic Warfare basically encompasses all of communications, but there are really 2 sides to it. There's the subtle side, like intercepting messages and spoofing commands; and then there's the obvious side, like jamming, other noise manipulation, and, in my mind, disruption of signals such as marks. So, I split that group into 2. Finally, I thought about Sprites and how you could maybe create a Compiler, the Matrix version of a Conjurer. Some people may not even do their own hacking, but instead create a veritable army of versatile sprites, so I included that as an option.

We're definitely using the same rationale here, let's keep going.  If we can get more than 5, I think we have a good shot at making this VERY viable.

If anything, I would possibly combine Jamming and Subverting and put in Remote Operations. That would include stuff like drones, control device, and echoes like Biowire, Acceleration and Mesh Reality.

That would be awesome actually - all of the communication between the Matrix and the physical world under the one umbrella.  I definitely like this.

I would also just like to say, since I don't think I have, that I really like your houserules on Technomancers. I never played 4th, so all of this is still somewhat new to me, and it looks like it would make a Technomancer actually appealing to play.

Thanks!  :)

I would like to suggest the addition of a Reflex Recorder complex form. Subject to the Same limits as a Bioware Reflex recorder. The idea being a real world macro basically.

That would be a really nifty enhancement for a technomancer that uses their powers in their meat bodies.  Hmm, that makes me think of this as the domain list:

• Hacking - this would be the subtle cousin of Cracking, focusing on manipulation of data to allow spoofing, file edits, and such
  • Cracking - this is the angry drunken uncle of Hacking, focusing on breaking through firewalls, obliterating IC, and causing havoc to systems
  • Remote Operations - this domain focuses on the signals that travel between the physical world and the Matrix
  • Body Mods - this domain uses the technology and evolution of technomancers to take them to the next level, giving technomancers almost Adept-like powers
  • Sigint - this domain focuses on the acquisition and denial of intelligence and misinformation
  • Compiling - this domain focuses on the Resonance, and the compiling and registering of Sprites

So each domain would have a new Matrix Action and/or Complex Form they could perform, along with an Echo and/or Advanced Echo (jury's still out on that too).  For instance, the Sigint Technomancer would get a Matrix Action to manipulate the data feeds of opposing forces' smartguns, causing them to miss more often.  They could also get a Complex Form to block or create noise in an area, like the Living ECM Echo.  The Body Mod Technomancer might get Echoes and Complex Forms that can replicate certain pieces of cyberware, like the Acceleration and Biowire Echoes.  Or even the ability to use a Complex Form to replicate a smartlink that is implanted, giving you the full bonus as if you had the implant.  Of course, it has to be sustained, so that might not be balanced well.  Remote Operations might get an Echo that allows them to use their Mental Attributes to create a Living RCC, but they can only use the Simrig or the Persona at a time.

I REALLY like the Compiler Technomancer - I feel that a Great Form Sprite would be a great boon to a Technomancer, as well as something akin to an Ally Spirit, maybe?  The Body Mods Technomancer fits with the rumors in canon of technomancers that are exhibiting adept-like powers.  Not sure on Sigint, Hacking, and Cracking yet - I feel like those need more thought to make them unique and interesting, without making them too powerful.