NEWS

Run & Gun errata is available

• 36 Replies

JimmyCrisis

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <09-28-14/0611:46> »
Because Chakrams are melee weapons that can also be thrown. See Xena.
Right.  By that same logic I should say any inconsistency in setting and weaponry is because a wizard did it, See Lucy Lawless in the Simpsons.  Also I should believe Lucy Lawless can fly (but not Xena).

Point is the Chakar/Chakram is a ranged throwing weapon, but somehow uses melee stats and accuracy.  It's kinda like how the tomahawk in RnG is a ranged weapon but can also be used in melee, but only uses physical limit for accuracy (thus making it potentially one of the best melee weapon available since its accuracy is physical limit +1).  Nevermind the details like the fact that a Chakram, historically said to have the ability to sever a limb, has less damage output  and armor penetration than a shuriken, a weapon historically designed for distraction and impediment

All the melee weapons are messed up, it seems new entries are no exception.    However, to play devil's advocate, the amount of future tech going into these things is pretty awesome.  Dikote is a 'standard' feature on all melee weapons since 4th edition, or so I hear.  The question is not what a 15th century shuriken can do, but what can a mono-wire sharp, diamond coated, smartlink-enhanced, 21st century shuriken do?  Compared to a chakram which has had notably less popular appeal, and therefore less (or no) high tech R&D?

Yes, I'm suggesting that shadowrun shuriken can sever limbs.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #31 on: <09-28-14/0749:48> »
A shuriken in Shadowrun can sever limbs, sure, not only from the tech used to make it but the literally inhuman strength it will often be thrown with.  But a chakram should still do more.  The R&D mentioned wouldn't really need to be specifically for chakram.  They'd benefit from the same stuff everything else would.  If throwing knives, swords, and shuriken can have that stuff, a chakram could too.  It'd just be harder to find, but that's what Availability and Cost are for.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

JimmyCrisis

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <09-28-14/1023:31> »
A shuriken in Shadowrun can sever limbs, sure, not only from the tech used to make it but the literally inhuman strength it will often be thrown with.  But a chakram should still do more.  The R&D mentioned wouldn't really need to be specifically for chakram.  They'd benefit from the same stuff everything else would.  If throwing knives, swords, and shuriken can have that stuff, a chakram could too.  It'd just be harder to find, but that's what Availability and Cost are for.

The point is that there is more leeway to justify what would otherwise be an absurd contrast.  Chakram -could- be heat seeking whirling mono - edged gyroscopic vibro sawblades, or they could be sharpened dinner plates.  Both are well within the spectrum of the setting.  It's a question of how many tech dollars goes into them, and apparently the answer is "not many."

I encourage you to stat up the aforementioned whirling death circle and use that instead.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #33 on: <09-28-14/1042:35> »
All the melee weapons are messed up, it seems new entries are no exception.    However, to play devil's advocate, the amount of future tech going into these things is pretty awesome.  Dikote is a 'standard' feature on all melee weapons since 4th edition, or so I hear.  The question is not what a 15th century shuriken can do, but what can a mono-wire sharp, diamond coated, smartlink-enhanced, 21st century shuriken do?  Compared to a chakram which has had notably less popular appeal, and therefore less (or no) high tech R&D?

Yes, I'm suggesting that shadowrun shuriken can sever limbs.

Ah, but who says chakrams would have less popular appeal?  I mean, India is still one of the most populous countries in the world in Shadowrun, last I checked (over a billion as per the Sixth World Almanac); that's where chakrams originate.  It seems they should have a nice demand going on (unless Indians got with the times and stuck to shooting guns at the silly people running around chucking sharp bits of metal). 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #34 on: <09-28-14/1046:34> »
I encourage you to stat up the aforementioned whirling death circle and use that instead.

I'd probably go with...

Chakram Acc (Physical), Reach —, DV (STR+2)P, AP -1 Avail 10R, Cost 900¥

Essentially, similar to the Tomahawk but a bit less accurate while having farther range (due to still using shuriken ranges).  It's also more expensive because it's just blatantly uncommon, at least in North America.

Personally I think both this and the tomahawk should have separate accuracy ratings for use in melee--  I'd give the tomahawk a 5 and keep this with 4.

Ah, but who says chakrams would have less popular appeal?  I mean, India is still one of the most populous countries in the world in Shadowrun, last I checked (over a billion as per the Sixth World Almanac); that's where chakrams originate.  It seems they should have a nice demand going on (unless Indians got with the times and stuck to shooting guns at the silly people running around chucking sharp bits of metal). 

Never underestimate the influence of adepts going medieval (or the equivalent) on popular culture.  I mean swords and junk are popular now in real life, without people still actually using them.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <12-03-14/1219:34> »
Regarding Armor mods:

The Core Rulebook armor mods are rating 1-6 unless otherwise stated, and take up capacity equal to rating. Fresnal Fabric, Pulse Weave (in errata), Universal Mirror Material (per sq meter? How does that work in an armor mod!) and Radiation Shielding have cost per rating, but don't state their max rating, and most have a fixed capacity regardless of rating. Should their rating be 1-6 as per Core Rulebook armor mods? I must admit it doesn't seem balanced to me for them to not have capacity related to rating, I'm not sure money is a sufficiently rare resource, especially at the levels given.

I think I'd suggest those not given are rating 1-6, and that rating is used as the capacity (maybe x2 for ruthenium coating).

Does that seem right, or is it all covered somewhere and I haven't noticed?

Is Universal Mirror Material as extreme as it seems to me? The way it reads, you could wrap your deck in rating 6 stuff and anyone attacking you gets -6 noise penalty but you get no penalty? The mention in the text says you can decide in which direction you want to block the wireless signal. Given most wireless access would work in two directions I'd suggest that the noise should also work both ways, much as I would love a decker immune from matrix attack!

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <12-04-14/0206:45> »
For some things it just might not matter at which rating they are installed.

And the ratings may go from 1-6, see p. 437 CRB:

Armor modifications have variable Capacity costs. Each modification also has a rating between 1 and 6, except as noted.

So we have only Ruthenium polymer given with an exception of Rating 1-4, but still a fixed capacity cost regardless of rating.
If you want to use own rulings, you can do so, but to me the RAW seems clear.