NEWS

Gun Question

• 64 Replies

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« on: <11-13-10/1126:46> »
Why would anybody take a SMG over a assault rifle except for cost or theme?
Greetings from the Netherlands, comrade!

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <11-13-10/1139:19> »
Concealability.  Same as in real life.  Their smaller size and compact nature is why they exist, pretty much.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-13-10/1236:34> »
The have more firepower than a pistol or machine pistol, but are easier to conceal than an assault rifle.

Like Critias said.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <11-13-10/1246:52> »
Fair enough!

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #4 on: <11-14-10/0000:20> »
Also, not modeled in Shadowrun, but SMGs are easier to whip around in tight corners than an assault rifle.

If it comes down to legal issues, an SMG will likely get you in SLIGHTLY less trouble than an assault rifle.

-k

Raventrickster

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-14-10/1018:33> »
Actually when it comes to the real world there are civilian models of some assault rifles that have the full auto capability removed which are legal to own with the right license.  SMGs on the other hand are completely illegal to the best of my knowledge.  (In both cases in the US, sadly despite living in Canada I seem to know more about US gun law than Canadian).

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <11-14-10/1024:08> »
Actually when it comes to the real world there are civilian models of some assault rifles that have the full auto capability removed which are legal to own with the right license.  SMGs on the other hand are completely illegal to the best of my knowledge.  (In both cases in the US, sadly despite living in Canada I seem to know more about US gun law than Canadian).
Because those tend to be more crazy? ;D

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #7 on: <11-14-10/1321:20> »
Sort of.

Yes, there are all manner of semi-automatic (one trigger pull = one bullet) rifle that are absolutely legal.  No special licenses are needed, since they're just, y'know, an ordinary rifle, media hype aside.  Since the gutters aren't red with blood since the Clintonian assault weapon ban expired, I'm hoping we're able to keep things this way, a few states (California, for instance) notwithstanding.

The issue with civilian versions of things like an HK MP5 or similar isn't always necessarily a legal issue.  The primary issue of legality involved is dealing with specific laws governing "short barreled rifles," or SBRs.  If it's a shoulder fired weapon with a rifled barrel (and even pistol barrels are rifled, nowadays), and the barrel is less than 16" long, it's an SBR.  SBR's are classified as a Title II weapon.  Title II weapons are short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns (in this instance the cutoff is 18"), silencers, and machineguns, which are "weapons that shoot, are designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger." 

None of these are innately illegal, but it's expensive to be allowed to own one (expensive to an everyday citizen with an everyday job, at least).  A special license and -- if this tells you where their real concern lies -- a $200 tax stamp per weapon is required.

Not many guys have the money to burn just for the "gee, whiz!" factor of owning a short barreled rifle.  You'll still see SWAT teams (and ATF squads, naturally) with 'em, but you just don't bump into 'em at the range very often.  Combined with import fees, combined with HK's elitist attitude towards civilian gun owners (for decades they even sold just their handguns to LEO and military groups) and their high prices already, long story short, submachineguns just aren't very common.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-14-10/1812:54> »
« Last Edit: <11-14-10/1815:09> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <11-14-10/1814:59> »
Akimbo wielding SMGs for the Win

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Zaxium/SG1-918-0007.jpg

with an Akimbo Dance
Medicineman
That's pretty bad ass, indeed. Best reason I heard so far ;D

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #10 on: <11-15-10/1102:02> »
You can't efficiently fire two P90's. Covering fire, or suppressing fire? Sure. But P90 is not a hip-spray weapon. :P

Th ething is, as KarmaInferno noticed, SMG's are a lot better in close quarters combat. You don't see many SWAT teams with AR's, right? In a tight spot, 75 cm's of gun are always better than 1,5m of gun. Plus, they're lighter, and with the proper ammo (AP rounds of all kind) you can easily reach AR level of firepower vs armor.
SMGs are just versatile and efficient. AR's are used, whenever you need to bring up the Big Buns*, i.e. when you exterminate an insect spirit hive, or fight for your life in an urban warzone.

* I'm not talking about Panthers and stuff like that. Those are 'Oh Crap, Freaking Huge Guns'!
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-15-10/1139:04> »
The right tool for the right job. Never take a knife to a gun fight.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

etherial

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <11-15-10/1304:48> »
The right tool for the right job. Never take a knife to a gun fight.  ;D

And the corollary, never take a gun to a knife fight.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-15-10/1311:52> »
Unless it's a shotgun.  Then you can club them with it or shoot them, whichever you prefer.

Shotguns solve so many problems.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #14 on: <11-15-10/1331:47> »
Don't forget grenades.

I miss Dead Monky. Where's he gone?