NEWS

Current ban list/Wall of Shame

• 30 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #15 on: <11-22-14/1519:35> »
I'm a little concerned that warnings and bans seem to be de rigueur here. Are we really that thin skinned?

I have been cruising the inter-tubes for over a decade now and have been involved in some pretty heated arguments and have NEVER received a warning until my very first week here. For pointing out that another poster was attacking a new member without provocation. I never insulted him or used profanity - (I felt) I was level headed and objective throughout the whole ordeal (but I have a PM for the record books from him that was NONE of those things). To my knowledge, he never received a warning for his attack on the other member (who has not returned to the forums since).

My point is, it seems that the only requirement to get a warning here is to disagree with someone and not be the first to run crying to mommy. I suspect that it is taboo to even suggest it, but perhaps the problem is not with the recipients of the warnings in many (though certainly not all) cases.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <11-22-14/1639:56> »
Without commenting on any specific cases:

There is a great variety in approaches to heated debates all over different communities. I can understand the motivations for many of those approaches, and in theory the one used here at SRT is one quite useful for treating a customer base where tensions could grow high and spiral out of control.

The last anyone wants is for people to be turned off from Shadowrun forever due to overheated debates, so a form of control is necessary. The system in itself is quite lenient with three violations needed before a short ban is applied, and one warning inbetween every next ban.

I have seen people on other forums who felt they had every right to personally insult people, claiming first amendment rights. I have seen wretched hives of scum and villainy that made me sick just by reading the language thrown around. So I fully support a fair and fairly-exercised warning system with a good TOS that still encourages good debates without turning people away.

Last, I would not say warnings and bans are de rigueur here. Leaving aside the occasional new troll, I suspect there's perhaps a dozen active members that occasionally lose their temper. While in each case one could argue about whether they tiptoed the line, were just near it or across it, do not be mistaken: Warnings and mod intervention are not the default mode here. And if anything, those heated debates that spiral out of control are evidence to exactly why we need the current system.
« Last Edit: <11-22-14/1719:35> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #17 on: <11-23-14/0126:17> »
Speaking as one of those people that lets his temper get the better of him, Michael is absolutely right.  There have been times when I have REALLY crossed the line, and times when I've just gotten to the edge of the line.  I have tried VERY hard to control myself, and in many cases I control myself just fine by simply not posting anything.  However, I am not always able to control my temper and sometimes I have made mistakes.  To anyone that I have insulted or offended, I apologize with the hope that we can start fresh.

Now to the griping:

There seems to me a pervasiveness of people who decide they don't like someone and then just start reporting every single post of that person's in the hopes that they get a ban.  On top of that, there are confirmed cases of new members of the forum receiving "warning PMs" from older members, saying that the new member should steer clear of members X, Y, and Z.  And finally, there are the flamebaiters.  These are people who make inflammatory comments with the express intention of pissing someone off.  Not exactly as obvious as a troll, the flamebaiter is an insidious creature of the internet that should still be eradicated.  Our TOS does not cover these three situations, and as a result they are prevalent.

We do need strong leadership on the forums, and those people in the administrative ranks used to be those leaders.  It used to be that when a clamoring of people requested that a post get sticky status, it would happen.  And it used to be that these elder members of our community would share their wisdom with others.  Those posts are still present, and they are still useful even if the content is outdated.  Now, when I see a post by any administrator, it means that either someone has gotten a ban or the post has been locked.  Or both.

The issue as I see it is in communication.  We have no communication with anyone in charge of these forums.  If we had more than one person actively moderating the forums, we might have more things done to these boards in a more timely fashion.  If we had multiple active administrators, we might even have multiple perspectives on subjective decisions.  I ran a video game guild with over 300 members in it, along with administering the website that facilitated events in 4 different MMOs.  This board is worse (from an administrative standpoint).  I had to have help on my board.  I created an officer to manage each of the games, and an officer for every 50 members of the guild.  A lot of that overlapped, but it made the whole process a LOT easier.  I can't even begin to imagine trying to administrate a forum like this.  We have 5052 members on the forums.  And we have a team of 5 administrators.  Of those 5 administrators, 2 have never posted EVER and 1 of them hasn't even been active this year.  Of those 4 that have been active this year, only 2 have been active in the last 6 months.  Of those 2 that have been active, one is Jason Hardy, who was active to create the Crossfire mission creation thread.

What I'm saying is that this is too much for one person to handle, and it's not fair to that one person.  I cannot in good conscience recommend any member of this forum for administrator status, but I believe it is critical to the success of this forum that we have more than one person actively administering the boards.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #18 on: <11-23-14/0129:20> »
It's because of my .sig, isn't it?  I knew it was because of my .sig.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #19 on: <11-23-14/0918:10> »
It's because of my .sig, isn't it?  I knew it was because of my .sig.

LOL I actually really appreciate the honesty of your signature.  And the marketing!
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #20 on: <11-23-14/2301:33> »
It's good to know that it isn't as common as the comments here were making it sound. I hope that my experience is an isolated one as walking on eggshells is not conducive to an honest exchange of ideas.

@Wyrm - I don't know where that quote comes from (Internet search incoming in 3..2..1) but I have a good friend that uses it frequently. I think it's awesome.

@Namikaze - Yes, I feel for Fastjack - it's a big job, and I can imagine that some bad calls get made as a result. That's why I'm not sweating my warning much. I have changed my approach to posting (mostly by avoiding any threads that have a notable level of conflict), so we'll see how far that gets me. If what Michael says is right, and I have no reason to doubt him, then I should be okay from here on out. Which is great, because I'd hate to face Mirikon's original situation as I am enjoying the PbP portion of the forum and a ban could be devastating.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the clarification.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <11-24-14/0007:48> »
@Wyrm - I don't know where that quote comes from (Internet search incoming in 3..2..1) but I have a good friend that uses it frequently. I think it's awesome.
Actually, it's me writing, based off what Critias said to me in regards to me shredding Tonatiuh for his question about the potential for his character to become a part of canon.  I realized that y'know, I generally think of myself as a nice guy, and usually I'm pretty good, but jab me in the wrong way or at the wrong time and biting your head off will be only an afterthought.  :P
Pananagutan & End/Line

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #22 on: <11-29-14/1428:02> »
Actually, it's me writing, based off what Critias said to me in regards to me shredding Tonatiuh for his question about the potential for his character to become a part of canon.  I realized that y'know, I generally think of myself as a nice guy, and usually I'm pretty good, but jab me in the wrong way or at the wrong time and biting your head off will be only an afterthought.  :P

Yeah, you are not someone I want to tick off :P
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <11-29-14/1832:27> »
Who, me?  I'm as cute and cuddly as a newborn lamb.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <11-30-14/0019:46> »
Who, me?  I'm as cute and cuddly as a

Really?

I always pictured you more like a wet koala . ;)
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #25 on: <11-30-14/0452:41> »

Really?

Damnit Wyrm!! How many times i told you, NO SELFIES RIGHT OUT OF THE SHOWER!!!

:P
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <11-30-14/0812:15> »
I said newborn lamb, not drop bear.
Pananagutan & End/Line

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-30-15/0914:03> »
A poster personally attacked another on this topic and has been dealt with. Please refrain from personally attacking your fellow posters, either in a topic or within personal messages.
Can we get an explanation for this, please?  Having read the thread, I cannot see where a personal attack occurred.
Pananagutan & End/Line

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-30-15/1239:27> »
A poster personally attacked another on this topic and has been dealt with. Please refrain from personally attacking your fellow posters, either in a topic or within personal messages.
Can we get an explanation for this, please?  Having read the thread, I cannot see where a personal attack occurred.

More than likely it was probably when a poster told someone to "get back to their bridge".
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #29 on: <03-30-15/1304:11> »
It may have also been in a PM, since those can be reported now.