NEWS

thermographic vision

• 9 Replies

Raiden

• Omae
« on: <06-27-13/1148:50> »
I was wondering if the spectrum can see through an improved invisibility spell? I would reason it good, but I am not sure.
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

quindraco

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <06-27-13/1155:15> »
I was wondering if the spectrum can see through an improved invisibility spell? I would reason it good, but I am not sure.

That's a subset of the general question of how Improved Invisibility handles light emitted by the invisible entity, which to my knowledge generally has to be house ruled as your GM sees fit.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <06-27-13/1203:39> »
Quote from: SR4A, pg209
Invisibility (Realistic, Single-Sense)
Type: M • Range: LOS • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2)
Improved Invisibility (Realistic, Single-Sense)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 1
This spell makes the subject more difficult to detect by normal visual senses (including low-light, thermographic, and other senses that rely on the visual spectrum). The subject is completely tangible and detectable by the other senses (hearing, smell, touch, etc.). Her aura is still visible to astral perception.

Anyone who might perceive the subject must first successfully resist the spell. Simply make one Spellcasting Test and use the hits scored as the threshold for anyone that resists at a later point. Even if the spell is resisted, the subject might remain unnoticed if she wins a Shadowing or Infiltration Test. An invisible character may still be detected by non-visual means, such as hearing or smell.

Attacks against invisible targets suffer the Target Hidden modifier (p. 150) if the attacker is unable to see or otherwise sense the subject of the spell.

Invisibility affects the minds of viewers. Improved invisibility creates an actual warping of light around the subject that affects technological sensors as well.
Emphasis mine. RAW, all visual senses and sensors are affected by Improved Invisibility. You need something like Astral Perception, Ultrasound, or other nonvisual senses to bypass the spell. Note that even if you are using visual senses, including thermographic, you still get a chance to spot the person if you resist the spell (Intuition+Counterspelling with a threshold of the number of hits the caster gained on the spellcasting test).
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-27-13/1237:08> »
not sure quite how that works, but works for me.
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #4 on: <06-27-13/1254:03> »
it works well.
if you forget about the fact that the invisible person is effectively blind, because if no light can reach the spells target to bounce off and create an image, then no light can hit the eyes and let them see either . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-27-13/1302:40> »
gotta love dem magics lol
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <06-27-13/1559:31> »
By the way, Thermosense Organs are non-vision and (as stated in their description) thus work against Invisibility. Of course you can only detect within 10m with that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <06-27-13/1611:12> »
it works well.
if you forget about the fact that the invisible person is effectively blind, because if no light can reach the spells target to bounce off and create an image, then no light can hit the eyes and let them see either . .
You're forgetting that this is another case where Magic tells Science to go play while the adults talk.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <06-27-13/1646:21> »
Being able to see while invisible isn't normal.

But when you're awakened it is.

Magic, Not even once.

Brought to you by Horizon LLC.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-28-13/1243:16> »
As Vaarsuvius used to say it: I'm somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"