NEWS

Drone Help

• 7 Replies

Bob The 3rd

• Newb
« on: <07-29-15/1947:37> »
Hello there! I'm putting together an SR5 rigger, and would like some opinions on drones. Currently the party needs:
Recon Drones
Infiltration Drones
2 Combat Drones
We already have a lot of money, and skills in repairing. We just need good drones, and I've never used them before.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #1 on: <07-30-15/0139:06> »
Recon drones: eye-spy hands down (core)
Infiltration: not sure, stolen souls has some decent ones though, but this will vary.
Combat: Bumblee-bee (should be states on it here on the forums, basically heavy rotor drone with mmg installed) and either a steel lynx or its upgrade in the lockdown book.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-30-15/0310:09> »
Also,
Installing a weapon mount make the drone Forbidden (which might or might not be really bad depending on your GM). If you look around you can also find drones that already come with weapon mount already installed but only classed as Restricted.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #3 on: <07-30-15/1215:01> »
Also, this ^^
Again, depends on type of game. My current game is so pink we almost could make Kane(Cain?) blush. But if yours is more of a classic ShadowRun game, then restricted is may better than straight up forbidden.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #4 on: <07-31-15/0956:50> »
FB-Bumblebee is the go-to combat drone. i think it was in "nothing personal" stats are available for free iirc. its basically a really up-armoured version of the rotodrone and comes with a stonerM202 MMG. Just needs a smartgun, R3 gas vents and uprated targeting software (it was errated to come with targeting 3) and the sensor suite pimping out with sensor upgrades. you could stick on an underslung weapon like a grenade launcher for some extra bang-bang or stick on an underbarrel weight for more recoil compensation.
for recon, it depends on where you can launch from. the optic-X2 is great as its slightly larger than your usual mini/microdrones and can take a larger sensor suite, so you can fit in more mods to your sensors (vision enhancement/thermographic/audio enhancement etc). its only the size of a tablet when stowed, but it does need a short stretch of flat ground to take off/land; the trade off for giving enemy perception tests against it a -3 modifier which is cool.
that one makes for a great overwatch/recon drone and other than that, the MCT Fly-Spy is the one you keep in a pouch on your belt for your on-the-job requirements.
I kit my sensor suites with;
-Camera;Vision mag, vision enhance, alternate viewing mode (thermo etc)
-Omni directional mic; spatial recogniser
-Laser mic; select sound filter
-Directional mic; select sound filter
-Motion sensor
-Ultrasound
-Olfactory sensor
-Laser Range finder

gives me something for scouting ahead, hearing guard's conversations or snooping on people having a meet at a distance/on the other side of a window, all round audio for hearing guards approach and tools for sensing whether there are motion detectors in place or cloaked mages moving around. LRF gives an idea of size of rooms so you know weapon range categories and how much distance you've got to cover or how far away the guard is etc.

For combat drones i tend to go with something similar but usually have to include two cameras as the one with smartlink, thermo and vision mag tends to hit its availability limit at chargen pretty quickly and cant take any more mods.
« Last Edit: <07-31-15/1001:53> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Bob The 3rd

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-01-15/2237:58> »
Huh, can you attach a gyromount to a drone? I haven't found if it says that you can't.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <08-03-15/1603:18> »
Gyromounts are build to fit onto a metahuman, so no. The only metahuman style drones make awful combatants anyway so don't bother
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #7 on: <08-03-15/1634:22> »
Bumblebee is from Sail away Sweet Sister IIRC... nope Nothing Personal it is....

and this is my setup, i play a 240+ karma rigger as my main and i primarily use my drones for infiltration/surveillance

2x SB Microskimmers, both have autosofts on it (R6 stealth, and R6 Clearsight) and i have put customized the sensor packages on them (took base rating of sensors and declared it a "sensor housing" and put various sensors in it up to its capacity)
1x Kanimushi in a fingertip compartment for when i want to leave a "bug" in the room/vehicle etc with R6 Stealth, and R6 Clearsight
1x Optic X-2 with R6 Stealth and R6 Clearsight this one is an expensive one, and i usually use it for long term loitering in an area and fly it extremely high and use my own perception checks on it.

All of the above drones are 99.9% of the time run in wireless off mode, and ordered to "burst transmission" ever X minutes and then i review the footage. when using them for scouting ahead of my party and we are following behind, i run them in AR and display the feeds for everyone to do their own perception checks (yes that means everyone gets to do a perception check when/if something pertinent could be happening, and it also means its running on my RCC during that time)

My fighting drones are as follows:
3x MCT Roto-drones all 3 have the burst fire capable Crockett EBR with APDS, and Image Mag on the scope so that when they are firing from Extreme range (1500m) they only have a -3 die pool they also almost always fire in 6 round burst mode.
2x Steel Lynx with (current loadout, thinking about changing it...) Ares Alphas with their grenade launchers equipped with EX Explosive rounds. i use them to do suppression fire and cover retreats

both of these groups of drones are run almost exclusively wireless ON (exception with roto's occasionally) so i can jump between them depending on what targets present themselves where.

Before you ask here is my Load-out for My RCC:
Vulcan Leigelord Command Console
   Device Rating: 5, Noise Reduction 1 (3 SS), Sharing 4 (6 VM), Data Processing 5, Firewall 6
   Autosofts: Avail Running = Sharing

Autosoft Name                                                Autosoft Name   
Virtual Machine                                               Biofeedback Filter   
Electronic Warfare                                       Encryption   
Toolbox                                                        Armor   
Sneak                                                               Wrapper   
Autosoft Clearsight R6                               Signal Scrub   
Autosoft Targeting (Crocket EBR) R6      Autosoft Maneuvering (Roto-Drone) R6   
Autosoft Targeting (Enfield AS-7) R6      Autosoft Targeting (Ares Alpha) R6   
Autosoft Stealth (Skimmer) Rating 6      Autosoft Maneuvering (Lynx) R6   
Autosoft Maneuvering (Skimmer) R 6      Autosoft Maneuvering (Crawler) R6   
Autosoft Stealth (Kanamushi) R6              Autosoft Targeting (Ares Alpha Grenade Launcher) R6   
Autosoft Maneuvering (Kanamushi) R6      Autosoft Targeting (ArmTech MGL-12) R6   

Out of all those I always have Signal Scrub Running, and Virtual Machine so I can get the most programs for my bang and still have 3 noise reduction (4 when i am in it thanks to my datajack)

i am probably also going to buy a second RCC soon and get the R6 UberMench and use that as my primary, unless i wait til Rigger 5 comes out and save my $$ for that.
« Last Edit: <08-03-15/1637:01> by Raven2049 »