NEWS

Full Auto...Grenades?

• 74 Replies

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #60 on: <09-25-10/1205:08> »
Well, they did reference page 74 in the Long Shot Test text.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Cheesedapplications

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <09-25-10/1814:28> »
Re: full auto grenades. When you consider that launched grenades detonate on impact, an auto-GL is more of a low velocity, high trajectory assault cannon. So try this:

For the burst, roll as if firing a single grenade. This is the direction of the burst. Lay one grenade per round fired 3-10 meters (GM disctretion base don recoil, range, and skill) along that direction form the initial impact. So, short range, a burst of 3 grenades is spread over ~10 meters along the direction of scatter. Long range firing form a moving vehicle, perhaps those three grenades are thrown over 28 meters along the general axis of scattering.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #62 on: <09-25-10/1827:32> »
That's weird, why wouldn't it list that under the Long Shot test for competeness?
Most likely becouse rule of six isn't mentioned anywhere near the long shot test, so writer though it wouldn't be necessary.
Then on the other hand the mention in the spending edge section needs that statement as rule of six is talked about in there.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <09-26-10/0922:54> »
The Rule of Six is mentioned 8 pages or so before spending edge, right after the Long Shot test.  Soooo....why not mention that there, especially since they mention spending Edge right in the entry?

I think I'm house ruling that.  It's ridiculous to not be threatened by a weapon in your face if you know it won't kill you because of game mechanics (regardless of metagame knowledge and if players will use it, the player won't feel a credible threat and usually will not think of it as such, so the character won't act appropriately).  Now, if you're Sam Jackson, you're not threatened because you know how to make the man not pull the trigger, then thank you for letting him live.  It's the difference between silly and moxie.

@Cheesedapplications

That only puts the grenades in a line from the firer, instead of pushing them to one side or the other, and requires adjucation instead of a more firm rule the players can read and use to their advantage.  You've got some good basics down, it seems.  Can we see something more along those lines?  It's giving me an idea.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #64 on: <09-26-10/1109:12> »
I think I'm house ruling that.  It's ridiculous to not be threatened by a weapon in your face if you know it won't kill you because of game mechanics (regardless of metagame knowledge and if players will use it, the player won't feel a credible threat and usually will not think of it as such, so the character won't act appropriately).
How does your player know that the grandma only has agility 1 and no pistols skill, it is after all a longshot test only in this specifig instance.
Someone only needs agility 2 or pistol 1 to not have to default to zero dice.
And really whether or not the grandma gets exploding sixes or not, i as a player know enought about statistics that the situation isn't gonna feel anymore like a credible threat even if rules of six aplied.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #65 on: <09-26-10/1131:27> »
How does your player know that the grandma only has agility 1 and no pistols skill, it is after all a longshot test only in this specifig instance.

Because it took her ten seconds just to find the switch to turn the safety off, or the fact that she is shaking like crazy and doesn't even know how to correctly put a grip on the weapon to prepare for recoil? :)

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #66 on: <09-26-10/1300:30> »
It's still a threat, just not a serious one.  But it is one that must be kept in mind.  IRL only the foolhardy or the very knowledgable, very focused will even think about forcing themselves on someone with a weapon pointed at them, regardless of the size of the weapon.  The rules should model the (very outside) chance that anyone with a weapon could potentially kill them.  It should be there, even if only in the back of their minds, that weapons kill and people die.
There is no overkill.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #67 on: <09-26-10/1302:52> »
Doesn't even need to KILL. Heck, I don't know about you, but even the most hardened veterans won't enjoy being SHOT! It might not kill you, but the complications of a bullet in your guts might. Not even speaking of the pain...

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #68 on: <09-26-10/1313:32> »
True, but players don't feel that pain, so threat of pain is a lesser motivator.  Still, good roleplayers should be able to do it, I just find it easier to RP when the threat is present, even if it is small.
There is no overkill.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #69 on: <09-26-10/1315:59> »
No argueing there :)

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #70 on: <09-27-10/1454:57> »

Because it took her ten seconds just to find the switch to turn the safety off, or the fact that she is shaking like crazy and doesn't even know how to correctly put a grip on the weapon to prepare for recoil? :)
This ain't my Gandma. Bubbi had a bitchslap from hell well into her 80s! I saw her slap the flavor right out of my moms mouth at 88ish. I wouldn't put it past her to have been a crack shot from stories I heard the family tell!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Cheesedapplications

• Newb
« Reply #71 on: <09-27-10/2040:56> »
Okay. One scatter die. Grenades go 2d6-(heavy weapons + modifiers)) from point of impact along the line. If the number is even , grenade goes 1/3 of that left of line. Odd goes right.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #72 on: <09-28-10/0503:35> »
To hell with it Gun. Go full auto and resolve them all individually.

And here's how.

Just get together with yer GM before hand and "Pre-Roll" the attacks. Roll your your hit pool, Once, get all your hits. (you can Pre-spend your edge here if you want just remeber it won't be avalible during the game.) Add up your hits and spread the hits between all the grenades.
     This way you will still have some, potential, scatter to simulate RL but you can directly and qucikly affect all the grens. Write down the results on a notecard or something. Then when the time comes to fire your GM figures up the mods to the shot and to be fair every 2 pts of negative modifyer in that fight he removes 1 of your succeses form any of the grenades your rolled.
     Now when the GM has to roll damage Have him roll everything that NPC possibly can. Then apply those results to every one of those grenades.
     Ex. if he gets 4 hits on his reaction, or dodge or whatever. Then he gets 6 hits on his damage soak roll. Just use that  result against every explosion. and remember, THIS would be the time for that NPC to use edge!!
     Oh and for any of you out there about to post how it's OP or Unfair or, whatever else your going to whine about, to have the NPC just roll once for all that. Just think about how much damage that really is. You are DEAD either way. My way just speeds it up and moves the game forward. Oh and just on the flipside if some  big bad Azzie goon squad hits you players with one of these, cause once you allow it into the game IT'S THERE and that means for everyone, :o I fully endorse useing this method on the PC's too. You can just speed thru to the Burning that Edge point to live and get on with the game
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #73 on: <09-28-10/2108:43> »
I wonder how hard it would be to create a "bounce" variant of Physical Barrier, that can ricochet slower moving projectiles back at their targets?

;D

-k

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #74 on: <09-29-10/0451:02> »
I thnk it could easily be researched.  Note that "easily" does not mean "not time consuming."  I think it could be done.
There is no overkill.