NEWS

Free starting contacts (house rule)

• 67 Replies

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <09-18-10/0811:44> »
I don't remember what Doom had us multiply by what (mostly since I made HIM do the math), but he slipped in a similar house rule of giving us "free" contacts with "free" BP much like our knowledge skills... Which is still something I have to go back and do if memory serves...
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #31 on: <09-18-10/1114:25> »
Agreed with Kontact. Charisma doesn't mean you're friendly, just that you have a strong personality. And people with weaker personalities tend to gravitate towards stronger ones. Remember, people like Hitler, Ghengis Khan and Stalin weren't friendly, but they were charismatic.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <09-18-10/1500:10> »
Haha! Agreed.

The Doomed One

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <09-19-10/0004:00> »
I don't remember what Doom had us multiply by what (mostly since I made HIM do the math), but he slipped in a similar house rule of giving us "free" contacts with "free" BP much like our knowledge skills... Which is still something I have to go back and do if memory serves...
CHA times three.
Pie > Cake

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #34 on: <09-19-10/1141:12> »
Go into a bar Tip well, talk nicely & be concerned about the welfare of the bar, employee & partons. It has worked for me in every bar I have ever slammed Long Islands at. 2nd or 3rd best contact one can have.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #35 on: <09-19-10/1324:50> »
Go into a bar Tip well, talk nicely & be concerned about the welfare of the bar, employee & partons. It has worked for me in every bar I have ever slammed Long Islands at. 2nd or 3rd best contact one can have.
Which is why waitresses will flirt with most of their customers. ;)

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #36 on: <09-19-10/1336:57> »
True in most cases, but the waitresses would usually try to give me some of my tips back. It was like being tipped by their big brother. ;)
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

System

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <09-19-10/1506:29> »
This thread had some good ideas in it.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #38 on: <09-19-10/1520:51> »
Gee, thanks System! My alter ego KageZero appreciates the attention! ;D

tbrminsanity

• Newb
  • Have fun, play games!
« Reply #39 on: <09-19-10/1615:57> »
I'm not sure that I agree with the idea that a Shaman wouldn't have lots of contacts.  Shamans are the voice of the community to the spirit world and as such should have lots of contacts in both this world and the metaplanes (ie free spirits).
Some people call me crazy...  Maybe they are right.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #40 on: <09-19-10/2301:39> »
was reading the thread, enjoying all the really good ideas and discussion. Had a thought...

Bonus BP for contacts = Charisma + Edge + Con + Etiquette + Negotiation + Intimidation + Instruction + Leadership

Long to type out fully, but... I think it has a nice ring to it.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #41 on: <09-19-10/2357:24> »
CECENIIL? Hmm... Well, an uncharismatic, unlucky dwarf sammie would only wind up with 2 BP. Lucky elven face... could have 41 at the other extreme.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #42 on: <09-20-10/0011:27> »
*shrugs*  If it's what'll work in his games, it's what'll work.  Maybe he's out to encourage more well-rounded characters, or something.  Who knows?

Personally, I like just flat Charisma (for simplicity's sake), or that "your best attribute" thing (to give everyone a shot, though then it's open to abuse from particularly min/maxed characters).  Any way you split it, someone's gonna be unhappy.

The alternative, of course, is for the GM to just flat out give everyone some free starting Contact points, ignoring attributes, skills, and everything else.  Just a flat rate based on the starting BP of the campaign as a whole, that folks can then augment (if they so choose) by spending points at the normal rate (so the Face can still have extra, if he wants).  I don't think the game would fall apart if every starting character got 20 BP just for Contacts, or something. 

In my experience, having to flesh out a few Contacts (and how your character met them) makes it a little easier to then flesh out the character itself.

System

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <09-20-10/0145:40> »
Gee, thanks System! My alter ego KageZero appreciates the attention! ;D
I like the ideas of assigning a "monetary" total to Contact BP and then "buying" them similar to what was done in earlier editions suggested.  Plus I figured the 3e vs 4e analysis showing the disparity between the Build Point/Money expenditure on contacts would be interesting for players and GMs.

Any way a group decides to go about it, it seems like Contacts need to be house ruled.  Some contacts can be gained essentially for free during play, and yet are expensive as hell to buy as a starting character.  A 400BP character is already running tight on points.  The poor 4e Face has only 5 contacts and spent 1/8th of the starting BP on it.  The 3e Face had 31 contacts and only spent approximately 1/25th of the starting BP.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #44 on: <09-20-10/1042:10> »
Yea, flat rate might be promising as well, and then there's less figuring to boot
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP