NEWS

What should finding your Way and/or Mentor Spirit involve?

• 18 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #15 on: <02-22-18/0405:38> »
We're in Chicago though, where there's probably not many spirits, as spirits there would either be utterly swamped with all the people asking them to do things, or constantly in danger of attack because of people hating any kind of spirit.  Plus the CZ is just unpleasant.

Granted, that doesn't mean the character couldn't leave Chicago for a time, looking for the closest free spirit that's rumored to know how to open rifts.  Though, that'd need some plot seeds to begin...  Or it feels like it would.  Again I can't imagine free spirits just openly advertising what they can do so everyone and their uncle comes knocking on their door asking for a miracle.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #16 on: <02-22-18/0716:47> »
If your in Chicago assuming he survived, Lothan the Wise, has to know somebody. I don't recall his sheet exactly but he was an utterly ridiculous caster, he might be able to summon one himself.  Also it not like that, free spirits do business too, they didn't get to be reasonable high force free spirits without getting karma from somewhere.  As a character traveling the spiritual way it makes good sense that your character would seek understanding of the wonders that are free spirits.
« Last Edit: <02-22-18/0720:05> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-22-18/1246:36> »
free spirits do business too, they didn't get to be reasonable high force free spirits without getting karma from somewhere.

This is how I run things too. Maybe the free spirit isn't advertising its services, but the appropriately connected people would know what the spirit could do and where to find it.

I have a recurring free spirit of man named Omae that I use for similar purposes, including karma-to-nuyen conversions (especially for when Working for the Man doesn't seem appropriate). It has its agenda, same as any other contact, and negotiates accordingly.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <02-22-18/1249:51> »
free spirits do business too, they didn't get to be reasonable high force free spirits without getting karma from somewhere.

This is how I run things too. Maybe the free spirit isn't advertising its services, but the appropriately connected people would know what the spirit could do and where to find it.

I have a recurring free spirit of man named Omae that I use for similar purposes, including karma-to-nuyen conversions (especially for when Working for the Man doesn't seem appropriate). It has its agenda, same as any other contact, and negotiates accordingly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Personally, I think a lot of people would be willing to go in, get some bad experiences removed from their heads / auras / karmas / whatever, and get nuyen at the same time. They'd be desperate people (because non-desperate people aren't going to let a spirit muck about in their very soul) and I think the experiences and karma he would gain may eventually color him in ways that would be frightening, but I think it would be interesting.