NEWS

A few questions about the movement power and allied spirits

• 4 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <12-13-17/0415:59> »
This was mentioned in another thread and it caught my interest in case I'd misunderstood the power but when I looked at it again it was the same as I remmeber it so I figured I'd just confirm my understanding here.

1) It say's if used on targets other than the critter it only works in terrain the critter controls. Is this some special use of the term I'm missing or would this mean the power is largely useless for the spirit to use on anyone else? That is if you go downtown your allied spirit can use its movement power on itself but nothing else as it doesn't control the terrain?

2) If there is a rule allowing the spirit to affect its allied magician or other things am I correct that this would really only be good for short term boosts/reductions as its line of sight/sustained so as soon as it loses that it ends. For arguments sake it boosts the allied magician who is now outrunning it and then once they get out of sight or turn the corner the spirit can no longer speed them up?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-13-17/0511:55> »
I believe that phrase is alluding back to previous editions where spirits had very specific "domains" where they functioned. Back when spirits were separated by where they were summoned from (Hearth Spirits, City Spirits, River Spirits, etc).

So in that context, the reference to "terrain the critter controls" for the purposes of spirits is referring to what the spirit's "area of influence" is. An Earth spirit can use Movement on others only if they are on or near the ground, a Water spirit only in or on the surface of water. A Spirit of Man might only be able to use Movement in an urban environment, and an Air Spirit can't use Movement in an underground complex with no access to fresh air. All examples, and not strictly supported by anything, but it gives an idea what the implication might be.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-13-17/0740:33> »
LoS / sustained do not require continuous LoS. LoS is only when cast / activated.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <12-13-17/1217:48> »
Kiirnodel:  But allied spirits don't have a spirit type (they are not a spirit of man, a plant spirit, just generically a spirit).  Which is what I presume prompted the question of whether they can really use the ability on anyone other than themselves?

In my game the one allied spirit was clearly a spirit of man before becoming an allied spirit, so I just decided that movement powers for it would continue to work in cities & buildings.  But a general answer would be great to have.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-13-17/1806:17> »
@Beta
Not exactly I didn't know about that spirit/environment link up as I came in mostly on 5th ed where spirits are a bit different so I didn't think they had any environments they "controlled". I tend towards allied spirits that should be a spirit of man (materialized, human form) but allied spirits are generally typeless. They don't have any of the adjustments that a normal spirit gets for being an earth spirit or a blood spirit. So while you can make a judgment call "You have a spirit of man it works in urban enironments for its movement power, you have a beat spirit it works in a wild environent" there's no guarantee the summoner would even have those spirit types in their tradition and if they using a possesing spirit you don't even have that to work with.

@Kirnodel
As mentioned above I didn't know about older spirit types working in specific environments. Thanks for that clarification it at least gives me a framework to work in without a clear indication if that's how its intended to continue working or they just forgot to remove that line when including the power.

@ShadowcatX
Ah missed that thought you had to sustain LOS after it was cast that changes how I work my spells a bit thanks. I've been working on the wrong impression there.