NEWS

Can one object be used as the base for multiple foci?

• 22 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-02-17/1649:32> »
Ah, you're thinking small, Reaver. What happens when some Triads get upset with both talismongers and Awakened who are using 'their' techniques without permission? Price and availability are only the first steps in controlling the rarity of certain things. Perhaps the only non-Triad willing to do the work in your sprawl (or the only one that will talk to you) has the artistic skills of a kindergartner. Perhaps the ones who had more artistic skill were 'persuaded' to leave after more than one suffered 'accidents'. Would you care for a permanent focus that was supposed to be a coiled serpent and instead looks like a neon green poop emoji?

There's also the social repurcussions if someone see's you with tattoo's they might assume your Yakuza (I vaguely recall bathing etiquette in Japan used to involve covering or hiding them even fairly recently) and then you've got a fairly powerful Yakuza group asking questions about why "your organizatio is trying to muscle in on our turf." Not to mention some high society areas might not allow tattooed people in (without a quiet vouching for by the local triad heads their not here to cause trouble).

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #16 on: <12-03-17/1847:20> »
Ah, you're thinking small, Reaver. What happens when some Triads get upset with both talismongers and Awakened who are using 'their' techniques without permission? Price and availability are only the first steps in controlling the rarity of certain things. Perhaps the only non-Triad willing to do the work in your sprawl (or the only one that will talk to you) has the artistic skills of a kindergartner. Perhaps the ones who had more artistic skill were 'persuaded' to leave after more than one suffered 'accidents'. Would you care for a permanent focus that was supposed to be a coiled serpent and instead looks like a neon green poop emoji?

Yes and no...

I see what you are saying, but at the same time, even the triads, while known for their violent reprisals, are not stupid enough to go against the weight of the 10 megas, and all the AA corps out there; Which is what you are suggesting.

Once something like this hits the marketplace, that's it, its out there. targeting the people who get them even if it is a small population (which these tattoos cater to,) is going to bring all levels of pain on them as everyone knuckles down on them. And everyone would: The police because it looks good for them when the new rounds of contract talks come up. The Corps because they (the Triads) are fucking not only with their profit lines, they are fucking with their reputation! The other criminal organizations would pounce on them for no other reason then to remove a player from 'their' markets.

No, its my own issue with the game. And that's fine, I certainly don't hold it against my players that get one, as they are very good for their costs and the effectiveness.

As for hiding tattoos in Yakuza culture, that comes from a different philosophy, and unless you're Japanese, may not entirely understand. (Not Japanese, and while I have done extensive reading and travelling, I don't understand it either). That same philosophy is also seeing Yakuza members getting finger replacement surgeries to hid past shames as well (usually by graphing toes to the finger stumps!)... From what I understand, it all about the Yaks realizing that their customs makes them targets visibly on the world stage, which makes their illegal operations that much harder to hide from international police efforts. After all, if all you have to do is follow the Japanese man with a body tattoo and a missing finger for a few months to years to find a criminal organization, you do it! (The Police in Canada have been known to invest years and hundreds of officers for hundreds of thousands of man hours to tackle a SMALL organization... See project H.A.R.M in the 1990's.)   

But tattoos are also a cultural thing for some people and cultures. (as is a host of other things like scarification!) and then there are people like me, who tattoos are just body art (I have a few). In fact, go down to your local construction site, you'll see LOTS of tattoos, most iron heads I know are only 15% "flesh colored"... the other 85% is all ink! And in SR, tattoos are mostly just considered body art, and no one bats an eye at. (thanks to the "Punk" tagline in SR's origins..)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <12-03-17/2045:51> »
Interesting considering the extent of Japanification in Shadowrun this would change quite a bit in how I tend to treat tattoos and the like in that world. I still had the impression it was more Yakuza/Triad only with a quiet censoring of those who had them.

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <12-04-17/1021:45> »
If you look at the art from SR it shows a pretty healthy amount of tattoos. Also just think about all the tattoo options in the bioware gear section. I will say in most places its a social status / culture thing. In the barrens and even wage slave territory tattoos are pretty common. The higher up the social ladder you go the less common tattoos become in most places, their are exceptions with cultures that support tattoos, Most of the NAN and Tir Tairngire support tattoos culturally and wont stigmatize it unless its really out of control or tasteless from what I can tell.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #19 on: <12-04-17/1233:59> »
Having tattoos is one thing. Having certain types of tattoos, especially if they use any secrets gleaned from the syndicates, is an entirely different thing.

And no, Reaver, they wouldn't be going against all the megas. But enough people made example of in random 'gang violence' after they had polite Japanese men come to their door asking them to desist and they ignored the generous warning... Or if there are several service providers who suddenly get in all kinds of trouble with local law enforcement, because someone found out that they were using their place to move drugs for the local gangs? Or customers found themselves having 'accidents' that removed the offending tattoos? Or even just a couple toughs with someone that looks like a stereotypical mage showing up, getting a hair sample, and saying that they should stop, or they'd 'be in touch'? There's plenty of ways for the Yaks and Triads to get their point across without all out war against the megas.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <12-04-17/1716:35> »
The megas would notice if someone started intimidating their customers away from doing business. They aren't stupid after all. And I don't care how smooth they think they are, Lofwyr is smoother.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #21 on: <12-05-17/0519:43> »
The megas would also do a cost-benefit analysis to decide whether the potential profit of a minor form of focus that only an extreme minority of the population would be interested in is worth the cost of other lines of business. Especially if someone cut a deal to ensure that, say, some local restrictions were eased in favor of the new product line quietly going away and being more 'exclusive'.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <12-05-17/0706:42> »
Alternatively the megas would look at it as "if we let one small group push us out of a market we are setting a bad precedent." Besides, a war against the Yakuza would be very short term, the profits from a totally new line of sales would be forever.