NEWS

Can one object be used as the base for multiple foci?

• 22 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-07-17/1422:28> »
I was thinking about the traditional wizards staff and it got me wondering could one object serve for multiple foci? For instance a staff or other melee weapon enchanted as a weapon foci and a power foci so it enhanced both your magical and mundane attacks?

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <11-07-17/1436:31> »
No; the following should suffice.

"Each focus has a specific power (described under Focus Types) and must be active for you to use it." - 318 CRB

Oops, was wrong :)
« Last Edit: <11-07-17/1533:58> by Officerzan »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-07-17/1439:28> »
That said, you can enchant different parts of your foci and piece them together afterwards. The staff could be shod with steel caps, or the custom grip could be special...
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-07-17/1448:02> »
That depends on the GM as the Foci must be in your possession (worn, carried, hand-held, in a pocket or pouch, etc) to be used. I would also rule that no, you couldn't have a Power Foci grip on a Weapon Focus Staff with Sustaining Focus Caps.

If a GM wants to allow such things, that's on them, but RAW, I don't think you can "weld" foci together to bypass the 1 focus 1 power rule...

Oops, was wrong. :)
« Last Edit: <11-07-17/1534:51> by Officerzan »

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-07-17/1529:00> »
I was thinking about the traditional wizards staff and it got me wondering could one object serve for multiple foci? For instance a staff or other melee weapon enchanted as a weapon foci and a power foci so it enhanced both your magical and mundane attacks?
Yes.  SR4 had rules for what were called "Stacked Foci," which IIRC there was mention in SR5 material but no rules given.  They were otherwise pretty simple, rules wise.

Choose and calculate the karma and nuyen costs for each part of the focus you want, say a Force 3 Power and Force 3 Weapon focus staff.  All costs are the sum of the parts:

The karma cost to bond this focus is 27 (Force 3 Power is 18; Force 3 Weapon is 9).

The monetary cost to buy this focus is ¥75,000 (Force 3 Power is ¥54,000; Force 3 Weapon is ¥21,000).

The availability to acquire the focus is 24R.

The Force of this focus when activated is 6, and counts as a singular focus when activated and all other tests (like addiction).  You may not activate individual parts; it's all or nothing.

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-07-17/1535:50> »
Guess SR5 has rules for stacked Foci in Street Grimoire.

Here's a thread talking about it: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=5601.0

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-07-17/1645:24> »

Here's a thread talking about it: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=5601.0
That's a thread from 2011 and talks about SR4

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <11-07-17/1920:49> »

That's a thread from 2011 and talks about SR4
Thats what i get for posting at work while reading multiple old threads. Reread the tabs I had open and realized Street Grimiore references them but never says how they work in 5e.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-07-17/2209:50> »
Thanks. So basically yes it's theoretically possible and the old rules are simple but in any given game you'd need to check with the GM as they weren't translated to 5th Ed.

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-08-17/1021:46> »
SG refers to stacked foci twice (p. 133 an 146), so either it's a copy/paste remnant from a 4th edition rule/table or it was supposed to be in SG and was cut to safe space and nobody realized it.

But that might be something to convince your GM that its supposed to exist.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #10 on: <11-28-17/0120:05> »
Stacked foci have been 'standard' since 1E; for all intents and purposes, you have to design the focus the way you want it, build it as a unit, pay for the entire thing, and bond it all at once.  This makes it both difficult and expensive to build and bond - and its activation is an all-or-nothing thing, when it comes to focus addiction (i.e. you can't activate 'just the Power focus part, not the Weapon focus part') - but nothing says you can't have your kickass wizard's staff. 
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #11 on: <11-28-17/0336:42> »

Foci addiction sucks ass. But its better now then it was back in the day.

This works well for items that you CAN take almost everywhere. But get really hazy when you get more exotic in your choices.

So sure you can have your solid oak staff complete with a gem on top just like Gandalf did.... but don't expect some places to let you just wander in with it.
However, a modernized 'wizard's staff' like an collapsible stun staff that folds up and fits in a pocket (and thus 'out of mind' of most security.. until you get to the good stuff) fly at it!

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-28-17/0440:18> »
That's why focus tatoos are so very, very useful. Easy to expand, carry and hard to remove (at least as long as you can fight back - after that you are in for a very painful form of robbery)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #13 on: <11-28-17/1600:40> »
I'm personally torn on the tattoo foci for players.

It was kind of what set the Triads apart from the other asian gang groups. And acted as both a status symbol, warning and unremovable power boost..

Now... they are just.. common
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #14 on: <11-28-17/1706:21> »
Ah, you're thinking small, Reaver. What happens when some Triads get upset with both talismongers and Awakened who are using 'their' techniques without permission? Price and availability are only the first steps in controlling the rarity of certain things. Perhaps the only non-Triad willing to do the work in your sprawl (or the only one that will talk to you) has the artistic skills of a kindergartner. Perhaps the ones who had more artistic skill were 'persuaded' to leave after more than one suffered 'accidents'. Would you care for a permanent focus that was supposed to be a coiled serpent and instead looks like a neon green poop emoji?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters