NEWS

FAQ, the complex form

• 7 Replies

忍

« on: <02-17-17/2208:07> »
"Make an immediate Computer+Intuition [Level] test with (Level/2 roundup) dice added to the pool from the complex form." p58 DT

What's the point of Threading the Complex Form? What you roll is irrelevant to the Computer test. Could someone run insanity_test.exe on me please?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <02-17-17/2217:59> »
I was also really confused reading this CF.

The next line reads "Gamemasters should provide information to the player based on the number of hits this test generates, with truly obscure or long-forgotten bytes of information requiring 6 hits."

Which is still incredibly vague.  Even the first part isn't really clear...

"Scanning  the  very  darkest  depths  of  the  Matrix  to find out exactly what has been going on with the device they physically have or the host they are current inside of, the technomancer is able to delve into the very deepest questions to find out the true purpose of it."

That bit about "delving into questions" is a little odd...  But I think its just supposed to be that you roll the Computer + Intuition test (with the bonus), and there's no connected Software + Resonance roll at all.  Then you get information just about the host you're in or a device you're holding.  But what kind of questions you can ask aren't explained and it even kind of seems like you may not be able to ask; the GM just info-dumps on you.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

&#24525;

« Reply #2 on: <02-17-17/2326:50> »
Catalyst is gonna need to compensate for my wrist related medical bills. I can only GM-handwave™ so much.

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-18-17/1131:20> »
Ha, yes, that CF looks amazing from a flavor standpoint, and is quite horribly explained.

I'm not sure why you're not threading the form at all. Or do you, and just need to get more than 1 hit to be able to pull it off?

Someone said it sounds like it's supposed to be able to make a Matrix Search basically on the Host/Device, but instead of Minutes or even hours per step, it takes you three seconds. I kinda like that, but it doesn't totally match up with the fluff, but most TM fluff doesn't.

&#24525;

« Reply #4 on: <02-18-17/1534:11> »
Also information from the darkest depths of the matrix wouldn't be frequently asked...

Anyway, I think it would make more sense if you received bonus dice equal to hits as opposed to half level. This way what you roll matters.

&#24525;

« Reply #5 on: <04-08-17/2248:43> »
/necro

Or perhaps reducing the Threshold from the Matrix Search Table (since that's what the CF implies) by your hits...  *eyebrows*

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-09-17/0529:27> »
I'm giving it a try :
-"Make an immediate Computer + Intuition [Level]"   So instead of threading this the usual way, you do what looks like a matrix perception test, with a limit equal to the level of the CF.
-"with Level / 2 (rounded up) dice added to the pool from the complex form"    And to the above, you add half the level as a bonus.
-"Gamemasters should provide information to the player based on the number of hits this test generates, with truly obscure or long-forgotten bytes of information requiring 6 hits."   This probably means your test will have a threshold equivalent to a matrix search.
So you technically have a matrix perception test working as a matrix search with a bonus. With the wording of the first quote, however, we can assume that the information is "immediately" available, as long as the test is succesful, so that's a plus. However, it only works for finding data on a specific device that you have in hand, or a host that you are in. Think that sums it up pretty well, except if I have missed something ?

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-10-17/1043:07> »
I'm giving it a try :
-"Make an immediate Computer + Intuition [Level]"   So instead of threading this the usual way, you do what looks like a matrix perception test, with a limit equal to the level of the CF.
-"with Level / 2 (rounded up) dice added to the pool from the complex form"    And to the above, you add half the level as a bonus.
-"Gamemasters should provide information to the player based on the number of hits this test generates, with truly obscure or long-forgotten bytes of information requiring 6 hits."   This probably means your test will have a threshold equivalent to a matrix search.
So you technically have a matrix perception test working as a matrix search with a bonus. With the wording of the first quote, however, we can assume that the information is "immediately" available, as long as the test is succesful, so that's a plus. However, it only works for finding data on a specific device that you have in hand, or a host that you are in. Think that sums it up pretty well, except if I have missed something ?

You forgot the part where it gets really usefull:

- "Each net hit also gives the subject a bonus die while operating the device and allows the subject to ignore any skill-defaulting modifiers
for using it as long as the spell is sustained."

Oh wait, that´s the Analyze Device Spell...  Too bad that Magic and Technology doesn´t mix, innit?  8)