NEWS

Drone Defense Test

• 3 Replies

忍

« on: <12-10-16/0014:30> »
What autosoft would a drone use to avoid getting hit by an attack?

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #1 on: <12-10-16/0031:42> »
  What type of drone?

I mean a super mobile and fast vtol could probably use an evasive maneuvers autosoft or something similar, but an anthro drone might use athletics and a blimp would probably just sit there and eat it, not all drones have the necessary mobility or a small enough frame to realistically jink incoming fire.
Because if I pass you I wont even leave a breeze.
If you search for me you won't find a trace.
What then do those seeking me say they found?
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.
What better name for myself?
 -Zero on being asked where he got his name...

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-10-16/0203:05> »
My gut reaction was to say the "Evasion" autosoft. But looking up the description it very clearly states that Evasion is used to avoid Sensor lock.

That being said, a Defense test is not normally a skill test. Since Autosofts are used in place of skills, it would seem like they shouldn't use an autosoft at all. I looked up the rules for defense tests with vehicles, which are on page 205 of the Core Rulebook.

Normally, drivers roll Reaction + Intuition (like they normally would), and it specifically states that drones roll Pilot + Autosoft [Handling]. It doesn't specify what Autosoft, but based on the fact that defending generally involves moving, I would err on the side of Maneuvering. All-in-all it seems like Drones are getting a pretty short-ended stick here. This is the only time I've seen a defense that by default has a limit.

If there weren't a rule in the book, I would have said Pilot + Handling. Basically using Handling as Reaction, and Pilot as Intuition. But that would be a houserule.

ClaytonCross

• Chummer
  • A rigger at heart, a confused mess in practice.
« Reply #3 on: <12-11-16/1730:49> »
Maneuver auto-soft is used for defense. The Evasion auto-soft is used to break targeting. It has always bothered me a little bit that they couldn't have just one and use it for both tests.

Defense: Pilot + Maneuver [Drone Model] Autosoft
Usually 6 dice with 3 pilot and 3 maneuver auto soft.

As a rule you want a drone with a 3 pilot to use Maneuver, Weapon, and smart link autosofts. so you get a DP of 6 for defense and a DP of 8 for attack. Other wise your role is just your pilot rating so 3 defense and 3 attack.... big difference.
I write long and repetitive trying to be clear, I am bad at examples, so people commonly skim my posts pull out the idea they think I mean or want to argue against or focus on my bad example instead of my actual point. I apologies for the confusion my failure to be clear and concise creates.