NEWS

SR4A Spirit Powers

• 8 Replies

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« on: <01-30-13/1549:39> »
I remember seeing somewhere that gives some of the new spirit powers from street magic to the the core SR4 spirits, but can't seem to find it.  If I am wrong then I have a question on how to get any of the new powers onto the core spirits, because from what it seems only 2 spirits out of some 9 can actually counterspell  :-\

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-30-13/1623:34> »
That would be a houserule. AFAIK no official rule to that effect exists.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-13/1640:26> »
Free spirits should able to. What about spirit of man who get spells?
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-30-13/1644:17> »
Isn't there something about giving a spirit extra powers when you summon it for getting over a certain number of hits on the summoning?
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-30-13/1717:55> »
There is giving them optional powers for every 3 points of force they have but the list is limited to what the given spirit has for optional powers. As far as I know, there is no way to give a spirit an power it isn't already listed with. Does seem a bit weird the spirit of man can't counter spell but oh well. House rule it if you really really need it.

RiggerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-30-13/1815:42> »
Is it possible your memory mixed up sprites and spirits?
Quote from: UW,p.154
Since Unwired introduces new programs and complex forms that the five basic sprites described on p. 236, SR4, do not have, neither as complex forms nor as optional CFs, gamemasters may choose to extend the number and type of (optional) complex forms that each sprite possesses as he deems fit.

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-31-13/0359:09> »
I guess my memory did not serve me well this time. I shall consult with the gm to see if I can at least get magical guard on an ally spirit even though its not on the list of powers of spirits that I can summon.

Hellfire

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-31-13/0551:15> »
actually, you do not NEED magical guard as a power for an ally spirit, as he may aid sorcery as one of his services, adding his force to any sorcery (casting & counterspelling) test of the summoner (see aid sorcery SR4A p. 187) for (or against) any spell.

Which IMO is even better than magical guard, as overlapping counterspelling is handled like an assisted test (meaning you would only roll an additional number of dice on your counterspelling test equal to the number of hits of your ally's counterspelling test up to your rank in counterspelling).

RiggerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <01-31-13/0757:45> »
actually, you do not NEED magical guard as a power for an ally spirit, as he may aid sorcery as one of his services, adding his force to any sorcery (casting & counterspelling) test of the summoner (see aid sorcery SR4A p. 187) for (or against) any spell.

Which IMO is even better than magical guard, as overlapping counterspelling is handled like an assisted test (meaning you would only roll an additional number of dice on your counterspelling test equal to the number of hits of your ally's counterspelling test up to your rank in counterspelling).

Someone might correct me if i'm wrong but:
Quote from: SR4A,.187
When a spirit performs the Aid Sorcery service, it adds its Force to the summoner’s dice pool for any Spellcasting, Ritual Spellcasting, or Counterspelling attempt, regardless of the time required for the test.

As far as i understand this it refers to dispelling a sustained spell as spell defense (the standard use of counterspelling most of the time^^) is no test on it's own but additional dice for a(-nother one's) resistance test.

Even if Aid Sorcery works your way, there's still this part (severely limiting it's use):
Quote from: SR4A,.187
To perform a magical service that involves use of a Sorcery skill, the spirit’s Force must be equal to or greater than the Force of the spell to be affected by the service.