NEWS

Leonardo - Memory joggers please!

• 32 Replies

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #15 on: <05-04-12/0609:23> »
For me, Prime Runners was my first real exposure to a sourcebook that at one glance-through was for years the prime example of how NOT to put a game book together.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #16 on: <05-04-12/0845:22> »
Does it mean London and Tir NaNog are also "That" reliable? Since both those books seem to be quite important for European runners...

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <05-04-12/1236:55> »
The lack of quality re: London, Germany, and TNO are, as I recall, significant reasons as to why Shadows of Europe became a product.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <05-08-12/0941:14> »
The London Sourcebook still makes me want to punch myself in the face repeatedly whenever I notice it on my shelf.  Its treatment of London, and the UK in general, is...not good.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <05-08-12/1341:17> »
Imago, Celtic DOuble Cross, London (With lots of Druid stuff), Prime Runners (More druid and Welsh stuff), Tir na Nog ... he loved him some celtic stuff, I do believe.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <05-08-12/1439:29> »
So do I well that London s..t was really creepy even for Celtic lover...

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #21 on: <05-08-12/1616:12> »
I didn't mind the Celtic stuff.  I mean, you get down to it, the British Isles are rooted firmly in Celtic traditions -- Anglos and Saxons and Romans and Norse, etc. are all newcomers.  Any pre-5th-World stuff would carry forward into Celtic traditions, so it isn't that I mind.

It's the problem of 'bigger and better', on top of the issues of 'okay, so if the players don't want to go this way, shoot them in the head and bury them on the heath'.  Imago is the worst I've ever read through or played through; I haven't read Celtic Double-Cross through, so I don't know if it's actually worse.    But in Imago, if you don't go along with the railroading, you get ***ked six ways from Sunday, and he does this to you at every turn.

For the sourcebooks (TNO and London), it's like they decided that everything there had to be better than anywhere else in the world.  The mages were more powerful and more advanced.  The disasters were bigger and deadlier and more destructive.  There are (count 'em, at least 3) more Great Dragons per square mile.  Never mind the fact that there are SO many places that are at least, if not more, historied than those comparatively small islands in the North Atlantic...

Just makes me want to shoot them both.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #22 on: <05-08-12/1933:36> »
I didn't mind the Celtic stuff.  I mean, you get down to it, the British Isles are rooted firmly in Celtic traditions -- Anglos and Saxons and Romans and Norse, etc. are all newcomers.  Any pre-5th-World stuff would carry forward into Celtic traditions, so it isn't that I mind.

It's the problem of 'bigger and better', on top of the issues of 'okay, so if the players don't want to go this way, shoot them in the head and bury them on the heath'.  Imago is the worst I've ever read through or played through; I haven't read Celtic Double-Cross through, so I don't know if it's actually worse.    But in Imago, if you don't go along with the railroading, you get ***ked six ways from Sunday, and he does this to you at every turn.

For the sourcebooks (TNO and London), it's like they decided that everything there had to be better than anywhere else in the world.  The mages were more powerful and more advanced.  The disasters were bigger and deadlier and more destructive.  There are (count 'em, at least 3) more Great Dragons per square mile.  Never mind the fact that there are SO many places that are at least, if not more, historied than those comparatively small islands in the North Atlantic...

Just makes me want to shoot them both.

Celtic Double-Cross almost made me quit rpgs. It was the most painful adventure I'd ever been involved in. There is no way (in my mind) that anybody could have figured out what to do in that adventure. The GM let me read it after I flipped out, I didn't believe he wasn't intentionally screwing us over until I had.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #23 on: <05-09-12/0021:47> »
The whole "my place has to be bigger and badder than yours" seems to have permeated all the various regional books. Hell, it may well be a RPG curse of sorts. Hell, i was tempted down that path while participating in the early fan work on the Norwegian part of what became Shadows of Europe (in the end it ended up as a variation on the online fanfiction/location book for SR, merging the nations into some kind of grand union).
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #24 on: <05-09-12/0033:12> »
So...  I should write a sourcebook on Winnipeg and actually have it be a nice place with only one Barrens?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #25 on: <05-09-12/0041:59> »
One very big one? ;)
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #26 on: <05-09-12/0055:20> »
So...  I should write a sourcebook on Winnipeg and actually have it be a nice place with only one Barrens?

That would be cool actually. Some place new, it would be a smuggling haven with polite police and road signs.  ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #27 on: <05-09-12/1059:33> »
Polite police?  Road signs?

Hell, we don't have that TODAY.  Forget in Shadowrun!

...  The winds are too hard for road signs.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <05-09-12/1216:22> »
The whole "my place has to be bigger and badder than yours" seems to have permeated all the various regional books. Hell, it may well be a RPG curse of sorts. Hell, i was tempted down that path while participating in the early fan work on the Norwegian part of what became Shadows of Europe (in the end it ended up as a variation on the online fanfiction/location book for SR, merging the nations into some kind of grand union).

in fact, after reading my country entry in SOtE I thought, that it was written by some technohippie idiot with horizont set by the inside of pub window. Well, it was the only one who puts some efforts and aas able top get in touch with developers, so I cannot criticise that much. If you want it better, DIY, like old uncle Leary sayz.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-09-12/1242:42> »
Which country is that?