NEWS

Xabulba's PBP OOC

• 88 Replies

Xabulba

• Newb
  • E Pluribus Weirdum
« Reply #75 on: <11-04-11/0901:50> »
Haven't heard from him  for a bit and didn't want to wait to start the game. If he shows we can work him in latter.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <11-04-11/0922:16> »
Xabulba, I (finally) posted Runt's sheet in my first post for your review. I had to strip some things I did with rules games, and then... it's always the little details.

I have another GM ruling request. How do you intend to rule on sprites jumping into drones?

Not sure what you're asking? If you're trying to hack a drone the sprite would have to attack and defeat the pilot program. If your asking if you can use a sprite as a pilot program I would say yes but the sprite would by default have to use it's resonance with a -2 for all tasks it doesn't have a specific power for.
The pilot part. I've seen - been involved in - a fair amount of discussion (ahem) over whether a sprite can "jump in" to act as the pilot, and if it does what to do about the non-specific powers. Thanks for your ruling.

Xabulba

• Newb
  • E Pluribus Weirdum
« Reply #77 on: <11-04-11/0935:20> »
Xabulba, I (finally) posted Runt's sheet in my first post for your review. I had to strip some things I did with rules games, and then... it's always the little details.

I have another GM ruling request. How do you intend to rule on sprites jumping into drones?

Not sure what you're asking? If you're trying to hack a drone the sprite would have to attack and defeat the pilot program. If your asking if you can use a sprite as a pilot program I would say yes but the sprite would by default have to use it's resonance with a -2 for all tasks it doesn't have a specific power for.
The pilot part. I've seen - been involved in - a fair amount of discussion (ahem) over whether a sprite can "jump in" to act as the pilot, and if it does what to do about the non-specific powers. Thanks for your ruling.

I would allow you ingame to work out how to create a drone-sprite with some roleplaying and karma.

Operator

• Omae
  • We own the night!
« Reply #78 on: <11-04-11/1031:27> »
Kirk are you going to swap characters or are you ready to go?
sorry, I was waiting for you to approve the swap.  Do you want me to edit my IC post, or make a new post?

For fast info for all till I get it posted when I get home tonight: Runt is a troll. Distinctive: dresses like a Southern Gentleman (picture Colonel Sanders, plus Panama Hat, goblinized as a troll).
This game just got epic.

I just imagined Runt talking in Foghorn Leghorn's voice.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #79 on: <11-04-11/1046:26> »
sorry, I was waiting for you to approve the swap.  Do you want me to edit my IC post, or make a new post?

For fast info for all till I get it posted when I get home tonight: Runt is a troll. Distinctive: dresses like a Southern Gentleman (picture Colonel Sanders, plus Panama Hat, goblinized as a troll).
This game just got epic.

Bass not tenor, and no stammer, though the accent is close. Think J. D. Sumner, instead.

I'm going to try (emphasis) to remember to keep up dialect while writing, but not so much as to make it unreadable. If I have made it unreadable please let me know and I'll ease off. If I forget to put in dialect, just consider it there and you've just "gotten used to it".

Xabulba

• Newb
  • E Pluribus Weirdum
« Reply #80 on: <11-04-11/1330:04> »

This game just got epic.

Bass not tenor, and no stammer, though the accent is close. Think J. D. Sumner, instead.

I'm going to try (emphasis) to remember to keep up dialect while writing, but not so much as to make it unreadable. If I have made it unreadable please let me know and I'll ease off. If I forget to put in dialect, just consider it there and you've just "gotten used to it".

Too late I've already got Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday echoing in my head. :D

clashmasterj

• Newb
« Reply #81 on: <11-04-11/1451:51> »
Sorry, guys, I thought I would have the time to devote to this but work has picked up and its all I've been able to do to check in once in awhile, it actually took me a half hour between beginning this post and getting to this word. If I get my character done, which given the characters gathered so far is leaning towards an infiltration mage, then I'll post him and see if I can be worked in then or I can wait until the next game. Sorry, Phylos, for screwing up your concept.
Player : "Can I call one of my hacker friends?"
GM : "You don't have any friends."
Player pouts.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #82 on: <11-04-11/1713:49> »
Sorry, guys, I thought I would have the time to devote to this but work has picked up and its all I've been able to do to check in once in awhile, it actually took me a half hour between beginning this post and getting to this word. If I get my character done, which given the characters gathered so far is leaning towards an infiltration mage, then I'll post him and see if I can be worked in then or I can wait until the next game. Sorry, Phylos, for screwing up your concept.

It's all good. My German Ogre Street Sam should be just as much fun to play as my Elderly Human Face Medic would have been.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #83 on: <11-05-11/1908:21> »
continuing the sprite drone-pilot discussion:

a) If I compile a tutor sprite with skillsoft: Pilot anthroform and skillsoft: Gunnery, could it then jump in and run an anthroform drone as a pilot?

ALSO, I need a clarification on how you will run Machine Sprite power Diagnotics. My concern is in regard to burning services and duration of any given diagnostics result.  So say we're making a run and I have it run Diagnostics on my doberman's weapon at the start of the first firefight.
Does it last:
a) only that combat turn?
b) till the firefight is done?
c) till I pull the sprite out to do something else (or dismiss it)?

Does it have to roll:
a) Every shot?
b) every firefight?
c) once for the duration of its use of the power?

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #84 on: <11-06-11/0338:53> »
I'm starting to think that Grimm might need to make an English Skill Test to understand Runt - I'm a native English speaker, and even I'm having to reread the stuff a couple of times ;) (No, it's not the accent ah trouble with - it's the lingo)

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #85 on: <11-06-11/0820:44> »
Dialect isn't just accent, the colloquialisms matter as well.  That's one of the ways locals everywhere recognize when other people aren't -- and sometimes why they can identify when someone IS local.

fwiw, it isn't native to me, but I had family for whom it was and I live where it is. That's why I can lay it on so heavily, and why I asked to be told if I needed to back it off a bit.

But I admit it's fun throwing it all out.  :D

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #86 on: <11-06-11/0902:54> »
Dialect isn't just accent, the colloquialisms matter as well.  That's one of the ways locals everywhere recognize when other people aren't -- and sometimes why they can identify when someone IS local.

fwiw, it isn't native to me, but I had family for whom it was and I live where it is. That's why I can lay it on so heavily, and why I asked to be told if I needed to back it off a bit.

But I admit it's fun throwing it all out.  :D

I blend in here because y'all think I'm from North Carolina, because that is written in my profile.

FWIW, I could probably lay it on just as thick if I was Mark Twain pretending to be Harper Lee writing To Kill A Mocking Bird. If I had my druthers, I'd be Scout, though - or Boo Radley ;)

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #87 on: <11-06-11/0959:47> »
heh - but North Carolina's accent isn't... no, that's not quite right.

South Appalachian isn't south coastal. Both are different from their respective middle variants. There are also clear differences between cosmopolitan, urban, and rural -- though the physical locations of each may be separated by as little as five miles in geographical terms. Giving very specific local examples, Chattanooga TN, Ringgold GA, and Varnell GA all have differences provided you've got the ear to hear them. To the average New Yorker, however, they're all "southern".

Getting off the pontification, I heard both the 'druthers/ruthers' and 'hornets in the outhouse' lines less than a handful of times, combined, both from my grandmother and from around here. As you can guess, they've somewhat stuck in my mind. I don't use them personally as I'm an overedjumacated fella from not 'round here and if I did I'd come off as making fun of the people here, but I know them and know what they mean when they get used. Getting to use them here did two things.

For play, by getting them both in I've "locked" Runt's background in my mind. I've also hopefully done the same for everyone dealing with him in this group.

For personal, it is just fun to finally get to use them without condemnation or backlash - well, serious and personal backlash. (If you have to use a language check it may be interesting.  :D)

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #88 on: <11-10-11/0841:17> »
Xabulba, thought I'd throw out intent and expectations here so you can plan.

Assuming I've got some services from the tutor sprite (it didn't outroll me, I don't take knockout levels of fade, that sort of thing), I'm going to use it to get an idea of "normal", not get a karma point worth of knowledge skills. The thing is, I used to work in logistics so I'm having to carefully separate what I know from what I "know", and further from what SR and your version of SR may do.

When I ask what's "normal", I'm not asking for this shipment. I'm asking for known industry/manufacturer standards.

NORMAL 1: I'm going to skip a bunch of steps as irrelevant. NORMAL, there's a last manufacturer distribution point. Goods arrive at the location by train or by long haul carrier. Air shipments are atypical for on-continent production except when speed matters. IF they're air-shipped, EITHER they've got their own local vehicles OR they pay a local carrier to provide regular pickup-and-deliver. IN GAME, I want to know if this is generally the normal method, and I want to know which air-to-warehouse is generally the method for Aztechnology.

NORMAL 2: There are broadly speaking two ways of sorting and storing at the manufacturer's final distribution point. Basically, by product and by recipient. The last is often subdivided by load.  There's a third, temporary storage which is goods received but not yet separated. Pretty much everything received goes here. Again, which is normal for Aztechnology?

NORMAL 3: Multi-site stores often have their own distribution center. I have not yet asked if either Our Patron or Big Box have these - that'll be in game. IF THEY DO, however, we enter the next choice. Does Aztechnology ship to the customer distribution center, or does it deliver to each individual store. I need to point out that in the real world both happen, and a variety of factors influence the decision. However, a given manufacturer tends to use the same method, thus the question for what's normal in this case. emphasis: even today, "tends to use" is not "always uses".

NORMAL 4: Regardless of the previous decision, the next variation is whether the manufacturer provides its own transportation or contracts a delivery service. Note this is a different question than the air delivery question.

Note that all these can be "yes" -- ARE yes in the real world. It's a cost-benefit balance, and some businesses attach different values to the factors than others.

Now we bring in Local Businesses. This may turn into an in game data search requirement but given what I loaded in the sprite it might be available -- your call.

Some businesses can force slight changes on the manufacturers. The manu's may prefer to ship to store, but some retailers are such large customers they can insist upon and get it shipped to their distribution center -- or vice versa. Sometimes they can insist on who the carrier is from manu's distribution center to theirs.  Sometimes these are normal, sometimes they are situational. I'd like to know what's normal for both big box and our patron, and if there are any other commlink retailers who are large enough to sometimes have a sway in this.

I'm going to have a bunch of detailed data search questions some of which will be based on what I learn. However, I'll do those in-game with appropriate dice rolls.

Finally, if you want me to throw this all into the IC thread I will.