NEWS

Simple question But I'll ask anyway

• 28 Replies

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« on: <09-21-10/1022:20> »
Reach? Does a Troll With a Combat Axe have a +3 Reach? I'm asking to make sure.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #2 on: <09-21-10/1039:14> »
second verse. Can those 3 points be divided between att/def or are they assigned as one or the other?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <09-21-10/1043:32> »
It's not entirely clear, but it sounds like it's all or nothing. Since you compare the reach between the opponents, and the net bonus goes to the winner.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #4 on: <09-21-10/1046:23> »
I figured that would be the case, but It's always best to ask the authorities! Thanks Fast.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <09-21-10/1332:13> »
I figured that would be the case, but It's always best to ask the authorities! Thanks Fast.
Heh... he called me an authority. ;D

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #6 on: <09-21-10/1334:14> »
What I want to know is, if you're going for reach, why stop at a combat axe?  Why not go with a polearm or something?

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-21-10/1341:10> »
It was coming up between him having reach for being a minotaur and my elf's MF Whip having a variable reach I believe. We got a little confused about it the other night.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #8 on: <09-21-10/1343:42> »
Ah.  I see.

By the way, I love monowhips.  And monowire in general.  So fun.  And so dangerous.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-21-10/1354:49> »
Take care of the "clinch" maneuver :p "oops, my reach just passed into a malus".
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Major Doom

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-22-10/0838:31> »
On the topic, does Reach also translate to physical distance as well, meaning the opponent (whom in this case has Reach of zero) would need to get closer to someone, say a Troll, to make melee attacks with?  Or just means dice pool modifiers only?
"Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
-- Jack Burton

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-22-10/0841:13> »
Dice modifiers.
You consider that if the opponent fails in his attack, it may be because the character used his reach to keep him away, if he succeed, then it means he passed the guard and the "distance".
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-22-10/0906:24> »
It sort of translates to physical range, but not really.  It's more like just a dice modifier, as others have said.  One could consider every +1 of reach to translate into an extra meter of close combat range, but then you start getting some odd game situations that really don't serve to enhance play.

OTOH, treating as strictly a dice modifier can ALSO lead to some bizarre game situations.  Such as a troll with a polearm not being able to attack someone 4 meters away who has a pistol, and that fella with the pistol not getting the "attacker in melee combat" penalty.  Some common sense might help clarify specific situations (for example, troll facing the other way) but, in general, I'd say just give it the dice modifier.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #13 on: <09-22-10/1127:46> »
Well since Usda has such nice dice to hit I'll just use my reach to lower the oponents abilities SO I can get better damage chances.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #14 on: <09-22-10/1129:30> »
What I want to know is, if you're going for reach, why stop at a combat axe?  Why not go with a polearm or something?
It's not so much about the reach as how it works. I like Polearms but traditionally Minotaurs had axes so thats what I chose.