Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

Indirect Area Combat Spells

(1/4) > >>

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Per page 283 of the SR5 core rulebook, attacking with an Indirect Area Combat spells is resolved like a grenade attack.  That is, a threshold test with no possibility to dodge.

While it says the test is "like" that of attacking with a grenade except that net hits above the threshold increases the DV, it doesn't say anything about whether there's a DV dropoff based on distance from the point of origin. 

I'm of two minds on that, and can see it working either way.

A: There is a DV dropoff every meter because you resolve the attack as a grenade attack in all ways with the sole listed exception of being able to pump up the DV with net hits on the success test.
B: There is no DV dropoff every meter because the rules never say there is one; grenades suffer DV dropoff not due to the rules governing grenades but because of the rules specific to each kind of grenade.

So what's the consensus?  Is an indirect combat spell dealing full, modified by net hits DV all the way out to the very edge of the spell's aoe?  If the intent is to do A, what is the rate of DV dropoff then?

ShadowcatX:
Spells do not have any rules saying they have a DV drop off so they would not.

PiXeL01:
The answer is B - Because magic

Marcus:
What PiXeL01 said.
I don't have a compelling argument other then that's the rules as I recall them, but for full discloser  the last time I saw an indirect AoE combat spell was like a month after 5th came out, and we never saw that sort collateral damage again. The End.

Kiirnodel:
Not all grenades have damage drop-off. Flash-bangs work the same way, they have a set radius and deal a specific amount of damage to everything caught in that area.

Area Indirect Combat Spells work that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version