NEWS

Cobalt, Uncanny Sneak (Aspected Sorcerer (Detection Spells)/Infiltrator)

• 3 Replies

greygriffin

• Newb
« on: <10-27-17/1116:35> »
Sasha Morgenstern's life was looking pretty good at 22; a year into her service with the Swiss Army she'd been identified as Awakened and put on a fast track career scheme for the Mage Corps. Six months later, the brain damaged woman pulled from a burning helicopter wreck couldn't even say her own name, let alone cast a spell. Her family's wealth got her halfway around the world and into the clinic of Dr Nathan Chen, a neurosurgeon who claimed to have a revolutionary procedure for the Awakened. He succeeded at overcoming the neurological damage; with the side effect that her magic seemed to have become one-way. She could sense the flow of mana, far more sensitively than before; but couldn't project her will back into the manasphere.

Luckily, her mentor spirit Dog was still with her; and the local offices of Chalmers & Cole Associates seemed to think she'd fit in just fine.

This is an attempt to use Aspected Magician solely for Detection magic, for an infiltrator who has perfect sense of her surroundings and enemies at all times (think 'Minority Report' or 'Bourne Supremacy' crowd scenes) and can investigate and track opponents and persons of interest.

The game is Karmagen at 800K. As the team work directly for a corp all characters have a National or Corp SIN for no extra karma. This is my second character concept if the decker slot is taken by another player.

Cobalt
METATYPE: HUMAN
B 3, A 5, R 2/3, S 2, W 4, L 3/5, I 3, C 3, ESS 5.2, EDG 2, M 4
Condition Monitor (P/S): 10 / 10
Armor: 11
Limits: Physical 4, Mental 6, Social 6
Physical Initiative: 5/6+2D6
Active Skills:
Arcana 1
Assensing (Astral Signatures +2) 4
Athletics Group 3
Automatics (Assault Rifles +2) 1
Computer (Matrix Search +2) 1
Disguise 2
Etiquette (Corporate +2) 3
Locksmith 4
Navigation 1
Palming 2
Perception (Visual +2) 3
Pilot Ground Craft (Wheeled +2) 1
Pilot Watercraft 1
Pistols (Semi-Automatics +2) 6
Sneaking (Urban +2) 6
Spellcasting (Detection Spells +2) 6
Survival 1
Tracking (Urban +2) 3

Knowledge Skills: Magical Threats 3, Sailing 2, Singapore Incorporated 2, Singapore Runner Community 3, Swiss Army Small Unit Tactics 4

Languages: English N, French 4, German 4, Malay 4, Mandarin 4, Tamil 4

Qualities: Hermetic Aspected Magician (Sorcery), Biocompatibility (Bioware), Creature of Comfort (Middle
Lifestyle), Dedicated Spellslinger, Linguist, Mentor Spirit: Dog, Phobia, Common (Mild): Heights and Flying,
Swiss National SIN

Spells:
Analyze Device
Analyze Magic
Death Replay
Detect Enemies, Extended
Detect Individual
Detect Life
Cryptesthesia (Enhanced Olfactory Sense)
Spatial Sense, Extended

Augmentations:
Cerebral Booster (2)
Sleep Regulator
Synaptic Booster (Alphaware) (1)

Gear:
AR Nails
Autopicker (6)
Ballistic Mask w/ Gas Mask
Chameleon Suit
Contacts (2) w/ Low Light Vision, Vision Enhancement (1)
Data Tap
Ear buds (1)
Glasses (2) w/ Image Link, Smartlink
MCT Blue Defender
Medkit (5)
Reagents, Raw (dram): Hermetic x120
Sequencer (5)
Spellcasting Focus: Detection Spells (2)
Subvocal Microphone
Sustaining Focus: Detection Spells (3)
Tag Eraser

Sasha Morganstern, Disabled Swiss Veteran w/ (1 month) Street Lifestyle
Yvonne Carvela, Singapore Govt Civil Servant w/ (1 month) Ares' Getting Network, Silver, Fake  License: Pistol (4), Fake SIN (4), (1 month) Middle Lifestyle, (1 month) Mona Lisa

Weapons:
Ares Light Fire 70 [Light Pistol, Acc 7, DV 4S(e), AP -5, SA, 16 (c)] w/ (80x) Regular Ammo, (50x) Stick-n-Shock
Ares Predator V [Heavy Pistol, Acc 7, DV 8P, AP -5, SA, 15 (c)] w/ (40x) APDS, (60x) Gel Rounds, Smartgun System, Internal

Contacts:
Bobby Tables, Runner Barfly (Connection 2, Loyalty 2) (Decker for Hire)
Dr Nathan Chen, Controversial Neurologist (Connection 2, Loyalty 1) (Cybersurgeon)
Mr Chalmers Jr, Affable Chap (Connection 2, Loyalty 1) (Corp Contact/Fixer)
Zaid Yadumani, Tamil Socialite (Connection 2, Loyalty 1) (Talismonger)

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <10-27-17/1433:01> »
I likely. Flavorful application of ye old one point of cyber.

However, detection slinger without combat sense?
Also enhanced olfactory for Cryptesthesia doesn't sound that useful to me. I think i would prefer to use thermo/low light vision or ultrasound. You can mimic headware so presumably the radar sensor from chrome flesh is also a possibility.

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <10-28-17/0217:28> »
I would get willpower at 5, both for extra drain resistance and extra stun box. If I were to do a detection mage, I would probably go for a Intuition tradition (druid?) and max Intuition.

Why the alphaware synaptic booster? That's 57 karma you could use for attributes instead. Raise Reaction and Intuition and guarantee your second action that way. Higher Int gives bonuses in many other places too. (knowledge skills, defence, assensing, perception, tracking, arcana, matrix search).

I don't see any Counterspelling. Forgotten or by choice?

If you need karma, lower Agility and buy Muscle Toner. You only need one combat skill. 9 more karma to find there. Maybe put 5 karma into the "Perceptive" quality.
I also concur with legionof1. Combat sense seems very fitting.

greygriffin

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-28-17/1316:51> »
I recently played a Intuition full mage (Wiccan) even if it would mechanically be quite effective here, so I'd rather be a straight down the line Hermetic than a feeling the vibes hippy - although Chaos would be pretty good, actually, and I might make a separate version who is Chaos.

I actually overlooked Counterspelling, but it fits the 'one way' magic concept that I don't have it. (There is a full shaman in the team so it's fine.)

Synaptic booster was for initiative boost (alphaware for essence saving). I tried the suggestion of upping REA and INT with the same karma instead and it works pretty well.

I am losing a little bit of karma on ineffective skills (Automatics, Navigation, Survival) but I feel that her backstory means she should have some competency at these.

I swapped Death Replay for Combat Sense, as I think Dog would be pleased by Crypthesia (Smell) - besides, I think the ability (magic or cybernose) is massively underrated ("Quit it with those horrible Aztechnology tailored pheromones!") I think Death Replay would be an interesting spell to learn in play/character, as well.