NEWS

[SR5] Is it possible as a Rigger to create a Transformer?

• 24 Replies

kuronologist

• Newb
« on: <09-29-17/0019:55> »
I'm new to Shadowrun and I wanna be able to create a Transformer. I was wondering if it's possible. Like have my harmless-looking motorcycle transform into a battle drone/robot kicking ass and taking names then transforming back into vehicle mode.

&#24525;

« Reply #1 on: <09-29-17/0135:57> »
RAW? No. At best talk to your GM and see if yall can work something out.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-29-17/0143:33> »
Check out the anime OVA Bubblegum Crisis.  Though it doesn't get much screen time, one of the characters has a motoroid that's essentially what you're describing.  Otherwise, in a more practical sense, you might want to look at the anime RideBack; far from as good a story as BGC, but the transforming motorcycle in it is a lot more practical (and something I've toyed with myself in the past).

One thing I find interesting with the robotics and transformer stuff that doesn't seem to be taken into account is the amount of mass of the combined servos and whatnot that would be required for the transformation articulation.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-29-17/0611:03> »
Well, you can add Secondary Propulsion: Walker to your bike or car. That alone might give you the aesthetic you are after. add some articulated arms + customization and you might get one of the Transformer's ugly siblings.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #4 on: <09-29-17/0923:59> »
Yeah, a Transformer is right out, I believe. The closest you get to that would be the mecha that was in the Rigger 4.0 joke supplement, or some of the really nasty cyborg bodies from WAR!

Terminator? Easy. Tachikoma? Tricky, but it can be done. Transformer? No.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-29-17/1117:43> »
I would suggest you get more into the genre and learn more.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #6 on: <10-08-17/1826:55> »
Blending genres is part of Shadowrun; I've built a lot of things, including superheros, in SR, and though playing a runner who does vigilante work as well is unusual, it's entirely valid.  So please don't smack someone for trying to expand their understanding of the possibilities of the game.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-08-17/2352:34> »
Blending genres is part of Shadowrun; I've built a lot of things, including superheros, in SR, and though playing a runner who does vigilante work as well is unusual, it's entirely valid.  So please don't smack someone for trying to expand their understanding of the possibilities of the game.
True. It is just that this particular example is something that is flatly not possible under Shadowrun rules, and is, frankly, quite a distance from anything present in the lore. The closest you get to 'transforming' vehicles would be the PMV that goes from a reclined to an upright mode, and the closest to what a 'Transformer' would look like is a mech from an April 1st product or some of the military cyborg bodies. There just isn't any good way of doing it under the rules.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <10-09-17/0008:39> »
And telling them 'unfortunately for you, there's no good way to do that under the rules' is great.  Telling them 'get more into the genre and learn more' isn't.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-09-17/0612:50> »
Excuse me for thinking that if they read more into cyberpunk genres they would find things they like that they could do, since not being able to do their first idea was already covered, but whatever.

&#24525;

« Reply #10 on: <10-09-17/1301:50> »
Inb4 lock!

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-11-17/0939:36> »
what about a Technological Mage with an Ally Spirit ?
The Ally Spirit can take a lot of (realistic) forms !

He who dances with spirits
Medicienman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-11-17/1609:35> »
An ally spirit could take multiple forms, yes. But even if the mage somehow had the gear and skills to rig, on top of being a mage powerful enough to have an ally, you wouldn't be able to jump into the ally spirit. Remember, the OP was asking about riggers.

And even this possibility is something you're looking at a hellacious amount of Karma to get.

My Characters

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #13 on: <10-11-17/1852:26> »
If what you're looking for is motorcycle that looks normal most of the time, but has a highly-armed combat mode where it can do some crazy shit then that's doable.  Hidden guns are easy, and a secondary propulsion mode can be added as well.  With a few other mods, that would be within reason if you try to work with the game to come to a compromise.  In its combat mode, it's still a motorcycle you could (and probably should) still ride in though.

If what you're looking for is normal-looking motorcycle that turns into completely different machine with its own stats like becoming a humanoid robot that just has the same color scheme as your motorcycle but is otherwise unrecognizable as your motorcycle, then no.  That's just not an option in the game, unfortunately, and houseruling such a thing would be messy at best and a massive headache-inducing pile of slop at worst.  I'd suggest trying to come up with a new concept that's more fitting with the game's setting and mechanics.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #14 on: <10-16-17/0501:05> »
Sadly not really doable in SR with the way the tech went.

We can replace arms and legs. Hell, even while bodies for a limited time!

But that is pretty much where the tech curve went - biotechnology and it hasn't really gone much past that.

Heck the modern smartphone JUST came to SR in 2006! (Commlink). Before that, everything was still plug in! (Jack In actually. As you had to install a datajack into a port on the computer for your deck to work!).

But, DON'T despair as there are some really cool things riggers can do, like controlling an army of drones! Or driving a vehicle with superhuman reflexes. And there are some really interesting toys for you to explore and use to ruin your GM's life :P

And if you really need giant transforming robots. I could direct your attention to the Robotech RPGs by Palladian games. ROBOTECH is all about thanks, planes and other vehicles that transform into humanoid shapes for combat.... Course it's missing other aspects of Shadowrun such as matrix, magic, and body enhancements.... But nothing has everything
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.