Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

How would -you- have handled this?

(1/3) > >>

Tassyr:
So I admit I don't usually like GMing. But when the group I was trying to join lost their GM, I sorta got elected. Okay, it was going to be a small crew, but I figured that'd help me handle it. The problem...?

The guys wanted to directly import their chars from the previous game. The one I wasn't around for. That was run with a very loose attachment to the canon in general. One of the two wanted to run a face/mage. Simple enough, not a lot of guff. The other guy wanted to keep his char because of the 'character development' from the previous game. Problem is...

Pyromaniac elf decker with a flamethrower who hears voices insisting the world must shape up or burn, a flame spirit ally, a troll sister, and human parents.

I basically tried to explain that there's some pretty big holes canon-wise at least as far as I understand it, and promptly got told they wouldn't play if they couldn't play that char. So, the game fizzled. Was that on me for not seeing how to make this work, or what?

ShadowcatX:
I would have handled it the same. As a general rule I always want new characters for my games.

Jack_Spade:
Well, technically human parents can have kids that turn into elves and trolls in puberty. It's rare now, but possible.

But yeah, that elf character concept sounds like a nightmare for a new GM to handle - at least if he doesn't plan to run a very pink mohawk game - so I can see why you were reluctant to play.
But honestly: If you are dealing with such uncompromising players the chance is high that you wouldn't have much fun running games for them. And if you don't have fun why play at all?

Tassyr:
Honestly I don't even really enjoy gming that much. But it's been over four years since I ran in any tabletop game that lasted past chargen and maybe session 1, and even the ones in 2013 ended badly so I think I just got desperate. XD

Mirikon:
If I were to GM a game, I would insist on freshly built characters, at the least. Don't care if they import CONCEPTS from prior characters, but they would be built new for my game, so I have full right of veto over everything that goes into them without panties getting in a twist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version