NEWS

True nature of the Sixth World Tarot

• 8 Replies

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« on: <03-15-17/1540:53> »
Now that Book of the Lost has been released, here's a topic to share wild theories about the Sixth World Tarot :D What is it really?

Here's my own hypothesis:

Book of the Lost says that

[spoiler]"the Arcana is a unified artifact from another age, the result of powerful magic not seen in even a fae’s long life. I was shown visions of the Tarot in other forms, from long ago: clay and gold tablets, scrolls, and engravings on skin. These items, when brought together, hold terrible power, the full extent of which even the Lady could—or would—not say."[/spoiler]

The parts I highlighted -- not to mention the actual title of the supplement -- made me think of a particular artifact from the Fourth Age...:

[spoiler]The Book of Scales.
For those unfamiliar with this artifact described in the supplement Legends of Earthdawn, it's a full story of the Horrors as told by themselves (Verjigorm and at least four undisclosed others), engraved on the scales of a mad, tortured dragon. It's said it may offer the reader the means to defeat the Enemy for good, but this knowledge is so terrible and the book's power so dangerous when all parts are gathered the poor dragon, as a last effort before dying, scattered the "pages" across the metaplanes. At the time of Earthdawn, every scale is Horror-marked, but it's possible the passing centuries have freed the artifact from their taint, especially if several of the Horrors that created it have been slain since...
Of course there are some major differences as well: the Book of Scales doesn't have divinatory powers as far as we know, and the Sixth World Tarot, so far, doesn't seem utterly evil. But as Man-of-Many-Names repeats a lot in Book of the Lost, magic changes and evolves with time. So who knows?[/spoiler]

Anyway, that's my theory for now, and one I might use in my games. What's yours? :)
« Last Edit: <03-15-17/1613:19> by Marzhin »
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-15-17/1558:02> »
I'd say my main NPC is going to want the Tarot very very badly if such is the case. She deals with Harlequin's antics because she's had portends of the coming Scourge and desperately wants to stop it. It's probably a hopeless cause, but if she sees even the tiniest glimmer of a chance to defeat the Enemy for good, she'll dive in with both feet, no matter the risk to herself.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <03-15-17/2304:07> »
Ooh, picture this: the knowledge of the Enemy's return becomes known, and one of the Big 10 sets themselves up as the new Thera, using their knowledge to force the world into their camp...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <03-16-17/0003:02> »
Already being done.  They call it some weird German catchphrase - 'Saeder-Krupp', I think.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Kwai

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-16-17/1605:17> »
Likely Aztlan as well, following in the footsteps of their late era Theran founders. And most GD are prepping: I'd be surprised if Ghostwalker was not training his drakes as Horrorstalkers/Lightbearers, so they could teach those arts to the mortals when the time comes. Doubt he wants to repeat a draconian retreat from Theran power in that respect. (One more reason the GD desire the drakes - as envoys of knowledge).
I am more prone to see the major arcana in the deck as representing/heralding the coming of the Passions: (I seem to recall Elijah making a comment..somewhere..about the Heavenherds of Azania worshiping local mentor spirits called "passions" and, for a price, being able to make anyone into a "Great one".) But I've used the "coming of the passions" as a theme at my table: did Dunkelzhan's death synergize with Lohng (and cleanse Rashomon/Roggok)? Considering the ecological impact of the 5th age, how would namegivers guide Jaspree to come as a peaceful Mother Nature, and not Sekmet, Morrigan, or Kali? Or has that already happened, and vitas was just a warning shot? Will freedom arrive as Lochost to oppose corporate servitude, or will the winds of Ma'ah sweep across the land spit on weaklings that have accepted their sad lot in life? (Ties into the divination aspect of the deck).

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #5 on: <03-16-17/1712:48> »
And most GD are prepping: I'd be surprised if Ghostwalker was not training his drakes as Horrorstalkers/Lightbearers, so they could teach those arts to the mortals when the time comes

Can Ghostwalker even do that? I thought dragon magic was very personalized and couldn't be easily taught to others.
Hell, is Ghostwalker even a Lightbearer? I thought Harlequin was one of the last living Lightbearers (him and one other who escapes me; maybe Ehran).
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-17-17/1606:08> »
And most GD are prepping: I'd be surprised if Ghostwalker was not training his drakes as Horrorstalkers/Lightbearers, so they could teach those arts to the mortals when the time comes

Can Ghostwalker even do that? I thought dragon magic was very personalized and couldn't be easily taught to others.
Hell, is Ghostwalker even a Lightbearer? I thought Harlequin was one of the last living Lightbearers (him and one other who escapes me; maybe Ehran).

Yes, it can be taught. It's not easy, though.

Ehran is the second Lightbearer.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #7 on: <06-23-17/2159:17> »
I always thought Yellowstone incident seemed to be tied into the appearance of the Tarot.

Big D's will as usual has a few Tie ins.  Two mentions of a Tarot, one seems mundane, other more intriguing.

" To Lady Brane Deigh, I leave a set of antique path cards. May they help to illuminate your wisdom in the days ahead and place you in touch with the past you hold so dear.

Lady Brane Deigh is the Queen of the Seelie Court of Tír na nÓg, and an immortal elf.

Path cards are an ancient Elven invention similar to tarot cards, but based on the Elven Ways and Paths. Path cards are frequently used as a tool or focus in divination. "
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Eric da MAJ

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-20-17/1910:15> »
I'm pretty sure she's also on The Empress card