NEWS

Rigger-5 + Motorcycle Modifications

• 11 Replies

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« on: <03-04-17/1633:19> »
I'm wondering what sort of Modifications are best for a Motorcycle.

Most of the stuff I'm seeing in Rigger-5 is either oriented towards a bigger vehicle or is really expensive compared to the base price of the Suzuki Mirage at $8,500.

Can any of you gearheads out there suggest some efficient & effective mods to consider for a little extra edge for a non-rigger looking to pick up a basic personal transport/getaway bike?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-04-17/1709:30> »
Sure:

Spoof Chip and Morphing Licence Plate are the first things you should get.
Manual Override is always useful if you worry about hackers. Gridlink Override is also worthwhile.
Different tires are also great if you want to improve your handling.
Finally, a fully articulated mechanical arm may cost almost as much as the whole bike, but it doubles as a weapon mount as well as a neat way to get a parking space up in a tree (or saving fuel by latching onto another vehicle)

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-04-17/1942:49> »
As said already, Spoof Chip and Morphing Licence Plate are essential. I'd personally also recommend that whatever tires you get, you get them as runflats. For bare essentials of a getaway bike, you want  all that plus Increased Seating so you can carry a buddy and still have top performance, Gecko Tips so that you can drive up walls, Manual Override for cheap Matrix security, 1 point of Concealed Armor because the Mirage isn't one of those vehicles that can get away with Obvious Armor, Anti-Theft System 2 so nobody steals it, Oil Slick Sprayer and Road Strip Ejector with Spike Strips because when you use the Spike Strips first they're a pretty good 1-2 combo and finally Gridlink Override so that you bike can break the speed limit even when you're not on it. The whole kit will run you up 25,500 nuyen including the baseline bike (but not including any Metahuman Adjustment you need to make) which is 3 times cost of the baseline Mirage, but trust me it's money well spent.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-04-17/2150:14> »
Spoof Chip and Morphing Licence Plate are the first things you should get.
Manual Override is always useful if you worry about hackers. Gridlink Override is also worthwhile.
Different tires are also great if you want to improve your handling.
Finally, a fully articulated mechanical arm may cost almost as much as the whole bike, but it doubles as a weapon mount as well as a neat way to get a parking space up in a tree (or saving fuel by latching onto another vehicle) 

As said already, Spoof Chip and Morphing Licence Plate are essential. I'd personally also recommend that whatever tires you get, you get them as runflats. For bare essentials of a getaway bike, you want  all that plus Increased Seating so you can carry a buddy and still have top performance, Gecko Tips so that you can drive up walls, Manual Override for cheap Matrix security, 1 point of Concealed Armor because the Mirage isn't one of those vehicles that can get away with Obvious Armor, Anti-Theft System 2 so nobody steals it, Oil Slick Sprayer and Road Strip Ejector with Spike Strips because when you use the Spike Strips first they're a pretty good 1-2 combo and finally Gridlink Override so that you bike can break the speed limit even when you're not on it. The whole kit will run you up 25,500 nuyen including the baseline bike (but not including any Metahuman Adjustment you need to make) which is 3 times cost of the baseline Mirage, but trust me it's money well spent.

Thank you both.

A little background.  Character is Human & Location is Denver.

Stuff I was considering already.

Yes:
Spoof Chip
Morphing Plates
Offroad Tires to shift handling from 5/3 to 4/4 & count as runflat.

Probably:
Manual Override.
Oil Slick
Smoke Generator

Maybe
Anti-theft-2 or 3
Concealed Armor-1
Increased Seat
Gecko Tips
Improved Sensors  (These sounded a lot better in CRB but the actual cost in Rigger-5 is way more than CRB & not so great now)
Amphibious Surface mod

And that is where I kind of stopped. 

The idea of a smoke field to confuse & then hitting oil that they can't see & spikes to disable makes for a good picture to escape/getaway.

I hadn't thought of that Arm idea, kind of funny :)

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-05-17/0031:11> »
Unfortunately, the Mirage doesn't have enough Body for spikes, smoke AND oil, so I'd recommend spikes and oil as the best combination.

A Guide to Gridguide

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-05-17/1416:16> »
The reason I prefer Smoke is the breaking LOS factor. 
Turning when they are still going straight, etc etc, & to cover either the oil or spikes so they don't see it till they are in it.

Do you prefer Oil or Spikes?

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-05-17/1517:40> »
Honestly? I prefer a front facing flexible internal heavy weapon mount with a HMG with an underbarrel grenade launcher installed, an ammo bin and a ramming plate, but I'm driving a muscle car that I use for general purposes, not a dedicated getaway bike. If I had to get someone off my tail I would, I dunno, throw a HI-EX grenade at them or something. But if you must have smoke, then I'd recommend you take the spikes, because you can just fill paint grenades with ultra-glide industrial lubricant (both from Run&Gun) and use that instead of oil.

Mind you, if you have an appetite for destruction and are willing to put at least 1 point into gunnery, you should forget about smoke and spikes and oil and whatnot. Instead, install a rear facing flexible internal standard weapon mount and put an Ares Alpha with Gas Vent 3 in it.

A Guide to Gridguide

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-05-17/1728:00> »
Magical character w/o a single firearms skill, so weapon mounts are out.
He uses spells for combat. 
This is strictly personal transport w/ escape functions.

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #8 on: <03-06-17/0850:15> »

I'd personally also recommend that whatever tires you get, you get them as runflats.

Offroad Tires to shift handling from 5/3 to 4/4 & count as runflat.

I'm a little confused by this, as I've always taken the tyres rules to mean a choice of Off-Road OR Racing OR Run-Flat.  I'm not aware of any ruling that allows Run-Flat to be an option added to another tyre type.

Can anyone point to where the ruling permitting this is located?

If I've missed it then thanks for teaching me something new
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-06-17/0925:40> »
Rigger 5e, p.153
Off-Road Tires: Designed specifically for rough terrain, these tires are not as effective as standard tires on
standard roads. When equipped, the vehicle’s off-road Handling is increased by +1, and on-road Handling is reduce by –1.  Off-road tires are also considered run flat tires (see below).
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #10 on: <03-06-17/1715:10> »
Don't know how many times I've read that and missed it completely!

Thanks for the clarification
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-06-17/2152:06> »
The smoke and spike strips aren't there to directly stop the guy chasing you.  If they do, great, but they're there to cause a multi-vehicle accident between you and your pursuer.  Wageslave Pilot pool < Evil Wheelman Pilot pool.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.