NEWS

[SR5] Book of the Lost

• 40 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <04-11-17/0559:19> »
I do have disposable income, but I'm still hesitant to buy stuff like that. My focus lies on creating a believable world in the minds of my players and not in providing them with pretty picture card deck.
Consequently Book of the Lost will have to wait until it appears as German translation with Pegasus (who hopefully will add the missing pages and Tarot).
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #31 on: <04-11-17/0819:01> »
I could see big fans of the setting wanting the tarot deck.  But not all setting fans are currently playing, and not all players/GMs are such big setting fans.  For that matter, most games will not have direct interactions with the sort of major background character apt to be shown in the tarot, so it is pretty easy for a group to skip this until the impact shows up in later books.

It is an interesting  and different product, and kudos to all involved for making it happen.  But to me it seems a bit niche for setting fans.  Granted that SR has accumulated a lot of setting fans over the various versions.  (And King of Sartar was a niche publication for fans of the Glarantha setting and was pretty huge for that setting; hopefully this can be as inspiring)

Edited to fix the name of the Gloranthan publication.  King of Dragon Pass was an awesome, quirky, computer game, but what I meant to name was King of Sartar, a book that revealed certain setting secrets and hinted at many others.
« Last Edit: <04-11-17/1509:43> by Beta »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #32 on: <04-11-17/1004:44> »
(And King of Dragon Pass was a niche publication for fans of the Glarantha setting and was pretty huge for that setting; hopefully this can be as inspiring)
Hopefully, but little of 5th edition has proved inspiring, except inspiring ennui.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <04-11-17/1527:25> »
I'm a little baffled about the ire toward the Tarot deck. It's a gaming prop and a cool one. Most gamers like those.

Yeah, some kind of pdf version would be good, to be able to use the book without it, just like WotC did with the old and new Ravenloft Tarokka decks, but that's it.
If nothing worked, let's think!

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <04-11-17/1620:02> »
No ire here, just broke. Personally I'd find it delightful to do a reading with the deck and design a campaign based on the results.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #35 on: <04-12-17/1800:06> »
My ire isn't directed towards the tarot deck, but towards making products reliant upon that specific prop to run. When talking about the Ravenloft Tarokka decks, adventures that referenced them could be run just fine with any regular tarot deck, or even, in many cases, with a regular deck of cards. WOTC didn't try to make a campaign that required everyone picked up the Three Dragon Ante cards to get through it.

All this, on top of the fact that 5th Edition has consistently over-promised and under-delivered. It was No Man's Sky before No Man's Sky was a thing.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Hargrim

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #36 on: <04-13-17/0351:00> »
BOL will probably not make any sense without the Tarot Deck.

It wouldn't? Why exactly is the 6W Tarot Deck required to use Book of the Lost? I mean I read the PDF and having the Deck is cool, but I did not found anything in the book that would push or force me to buy the prop to use it during my games?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #37 on: <05-05-17/1908:31> »
- Lack of clear distinction between chapters that can be read by everyone or are written from an in-universe perspective and chapters that are GM only. It goes back and forth between the two, and there are times when, within the same section of the book, you really can't tell anymore if you're reading Game Information or Jackpoint posts. I prefer when the GM-only info is gathered at the end of the books in a dedicated section.

My GM was just complaining about this very thing in the Denver scenarios recently.

Its like the new layout/editing crew doesn't understand the good old sections of "Tell it to them straight" v/s "Behind the Scenes" v/s "Running the Adventure"
Clear GM info ends up being in the Tell it to them Straight section while needed player info is in Running the Adventure or Behind the Scenes.

TheDeep

• Newb
  • I'm not feeling like myself today. Maybe I'm you?
« Reply #38 on: <07-10-18/2123:22> »
The book is for GMs and has no purpose without the Tarot.

I understand your feelings about tarot in general, but maybe it would ease you to know that in development - we deliberately considered it a game accessory meant to accentuate a universe in which magic is real and had no intention to confuse it with being real. It has a lot of Shadowrun specific content in it. It has some tongue-in-cheek humor in it. It has a lot of meat to use for a game, since we were deliberately looking to Dunkelzahn's Will for inspiration on the kind of source book/accessory it was supposed to be to enhance the game.

Good luck.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #39 on: <07-11-18/0934:28> »
Now, if you'd publish a pdf of the card images of the deck at some point, that would be grand. 

• The physical tarotis not super available (I know my FLGS had commented something like "Oh, it is used in the game meta-plot?  That is actually interesting.  But we'd carried tarot decks in the past and they never sold, so when we saw this we took a pass.").  Sure, it is on Amazon, but still ...
    It is bloody expensive.  Currently listed on Amazon for more than the cost of hard covered gaming book, or the cost of two books in pdf form.

It might be nice to be able to shuffle up the cards, and I understand there are some cool tricks with lining up certain cards in certain orders ... but I'd settle for seeing all the stuff that got packed into the art.  Some images are in BotL, but not all, and it is not always clear which card some of the art is from in there.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #40 on: <07-16-18/2049:57> »
While not that cheap, you can still pick up signed copies of the tarot deck from echo's store https://echochernik.myshopify.com/collections/tarot/products/shadowrun-sixth-world-tarot-deluxe