NEWS

Mr. Johnson goes to Washington

• 7 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <12-28-16/0404:06> »
Need some ideas for a political run for game I am running next week.

Team includes: A Human Face, an Elf Technomancer Sniper, an Human Looking Elf Adept Gunslinger, and an Ork Chaos Mage. The Technomancers Sprites can do some minor Hacking, but nothing higher than Rating 4 Host.

I had an old Intimidation Run I've done before, but I didn't think it fit for this group.

I try to include a part in my runs for each character to shine.

One idea I have, is that the Runner's Fixer, sets them up to meet a Johnson virtually. The Johnson is a politician in Washington and is concerned about one of his family members in Seattle. Maybe a daughter hanging out of with the wrong crowd.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-16/1852:17> »
Are you having politics/politicians as the background to the run, or as a major component of the run?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-29-16/2245:30> »
Initially I was thinking about it being in the background, but if you have any good ideas I am all ears.

I was thinking about run span over two weeks were the team has to keep a constant eye on a congressman's 19 year old daughter.

The team will be able to get a Hotel Room that has a unobstructed view of the place the daughter is staying. (Either a Hotel, Home, or Penthouse Appartment.)
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-30-16/0001:06> »
Resources
  • DeeCee: Conspiracy Theories
  • Political Runs: Dirty Tricks
  • Seattle Politics: Seattle Sprawl
  • Faces/Cons: Cutting Aces
Seattle's congressional delegation (Seattle Sprawl. Ruling the Queen City, 24):
  • Senator Charles Seaver (Republican)
  • Senator Helen Royer (Democrat)
  • Representative Erik Shira (Republican)
  • Representative Katy Rozman (Technocrat)
  • Representative Benita Saver (Democrat)
  • Representative Sharron Lu (New Century)
  • Representative Robert Wheeler (Technocrat)
  • Representative Samuel Lamptey, Jr. (Republican)
Senator Seaver is currently (as of Cutting Aces, early 2079) running for governor in the special election now that Brackhaven's out, but there's also speculation that he's a shedim or something else. Senator Royer is Charles Royer's daughter, so there's a political dynasty at play if you want to involve that. Fun fact, Rep. Lamptey's father is (or was intended to be, anyway) the Seahawks troll linebacker profiled in Prime Runners and would be in his twenties.

Anyway, I guess it depends a lot on how deep you want this to go. The blackmail/nondescript danger angle is easy, but that would probably be handled by said politician's local fixer because it's not that big a deal and they can just reach out to KE or Lone Star and have a company man deal with it if not done with off-duty personnel. The blowback if it were to become public is minimal because it can be covered up by the press and corps. I figure if you want the politician to get personally involved, it requires higher stakes.

Perhaps something like this: Someone in the politician's immediate family got into a high-stakes deal, maybe thinking they were going to help the relative if the deal went off without a hitch. Maybe it's someone who feels overlooked or taken for granted and they figured this would make them a more respected or useful person in the politician's inner circle. Basically, a Fredo. But they're a Fredo and they're dumb, and now the deal is blowing up in his or her face and the politician learns about it either from the relative or from one of their fixers or even from a contact who would exploit this but they owed the politician a favor and giving a head's up makes them even. So the politician hires the runners to plant a macguffin that would put the blame on someone else and minimize the blowback to something acceptable if at all, but the runners also have to covertly babysit the relative after they plant the evidence to make sure the relative doesn't say or do something stupid while the evidence is uncovered and the heat dies down on them.

So the Face and TM get to build and plant the evidence while the Gunslinger and Mage follow Fredo around and discreetly keep them out of trouble with innocuous "accidents" or even some not-so-subtle ass kickings to those who insist on dragging the relative back into trouble because they know he or she was involved and want to exploit that fact, evidence be damned, and probably could get Fredo to admit it if they get close enough. So by this time, the whole team is going to have to stop the bad guy from reaching Fredo or maybe they have to go back and add more evidence to what they planted in order to frame the villain and make it look like the villain is just trying to frame poor, innocent Fredo instead of taking responsibility. It would be even better if the villain is someone that they can't just kill outright (or at least not until the climax) because they're a bigwig on the UCC or in Seattle politics. But then at the climax, when the pressure is on the villain because the runners have framed villain and now the authorities and/or villain's own corp is on his or her ass, villain tries to take out Fredo and politician out of spite and anger and so the runners end up fighting off a hit squad, kill the villain, and the politician and Fredo come out victorious and the runners look like heroes.

Epilogue: Politician set up Fredo from the beginning to improve his or her reputation and political capital for some future dealings, and villain was innocent of the whole deal until the runners got involved.
« Last Edit: <12-30-16/0556:49> by Crimsondude »

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-30-16/0204:42> »
Resources
  • DeeCee: Conspiracy Theories
  • Political Runs: Dirty Tricks
  • Seattle Politics: Seattle Sprawl
  • Faces/Cons: Cutting Aces
Anyway, Seattle's congressional delegation:
  • Senator Charles Seaver (Republican)
  • Senator Helen Royer (Democrat)
  • Representative Erik Shira (Republican)
  • Representative Katy Rozman (Technocrat)
  • Representative Benita Saver (Democrat)
  • Representative Sharron Lu (New Century)
  • Representative Robert Wheeler (Technocrat)
  • Representative Samuel Lamptey, Jr. (Republican)
Senator Seaver is currently (as of Cutting Aces, early 2079) running for governor in the special election now that Brackhaven's out, but there's also speculation that he's a shedim or something else. Senator Royer is Charles Royer's daughter, so there's a political dynasty at play if you want to involve that. Fun fact, Rep. Lamptey's father is (or was intended to be, anyway) the Seahawks troll linebacker profiled in Prime Runners and would be in his twenties.

Anyway, I guess it depends a lot on how deep you want this to go. The blackmail/nondescript danger angle is easy, but that would probably be handled by said politician's local fixer because it's not that big a deal and they can just reach out to KE or Lone Star and have a company man deal with it if not done with off-duty personnel. The blowback if it were to become public is minimal because it can be covered up by the press and corps. I figure if you want the politician to get personally involved, it requires higher stakes.

Perhaps something like this: Someone in the politician's immediate family got into a high-stakes deal, maybe thinking they were going to help the relative if the deal went off without a hitch. Maybe it's someone who feels overlooked or taken for granted and they figured this would make them a more respected or useful person in the politician's inner circle. Basically, a Fredo. But they're a Fredo and they're dumb, and now the deal is blowing up in his or her face and the politician learns about it either from the relative or from one of their fixers or even from a contact who would exploit this but they owed the politician a favor and giving a head's up makes them even. So the politician hires the runners to plant a macguffin that would put the blame on someone else and minimize the blowback to something acceptable if at all, but the runners also have to covertly babysit the relative after they plant the evidence to make sure the relative doesn't say or do something stupid while the evidence is uncovered and the heat dies down on them.

So the Face and TM get to build and plant the evidence while the Gunslinger and Mage follow Fredo around and discreetly keep them out of trouble with innocuous "accidents" or even some not-so-subtle ass kickings to those who insist on dragging the relative back into trouble because they know he or she was involved and want to exploit that fact, evidence be damned, and probably could get Fredo to admit it if they get close enough. So by this time, the whole team is going to have to stop the bad guy from reaching Fredo or maybe they have to go back and add more evidence to what they planted in order to frame the villain and make it look like the villain is just trying to frame poor, innocent Fredo instead of taking responsibility. It would be even better if the villain is someone that they can't just kill outright (or at least not until the climax) because they're a bigwig on the UCC or in Seattle politics. But then at the climax, when the pressure is on the villain because the runners have framed villain and now the authorities and/or villain's own corp is on his or her ass, villain tries to take out Fredo and politician out of spite and anger and so the runners end up fighting off a hit squad, kill the villain, and the politician and Fredo come out victorious and the runners look like heroes.

Epilogue: Politician set up Fredo from the beginning to improve his or her reputation and political capital for some future dealings, and villain was innocent of the whole deal until the runners got involved.

WOW! Thanks.  I am Going to have to re-read this again when I get home, but just wanted to reply asap.

Did you just come up with this whole scenario on the fly?

I am impressed either way.

Thanks

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-30-16/0554:13> »
Yes, except for the list of congressmen. Have fun.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-31-16/0139:33> »
I think I'm going to do this Run the week of January 17th, instead of doing it next week. It's probably going to end up taking 2 gaming sessions. Also, one of the Players has never played Shadowrun before, so I'm thinking his first run should be a little less complicated than what I think this one is going to end up being.. 

Thanks again for the ideas Crimsondude. 8)

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-31-16/1424:52> »
That's for the best. I'm glad I could help.