NEWS

The Runners who saved Christmas (Conclusion)

• 2 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <12-28-16/0033:34> »
The Technomancer Paracritter Hunter and the Gunslinger Adept managed to save Christmas from the Toxic Havoc Shaman who was flooding Puyallup with guns and drugs.

Monitoring Social Media sites with some Registered Data Sprites, the Team was lead to some kids bragging about getting free weapons and confronted the small gang of eleven year old Orks, who the Toxic shaman convinced to attack the Runners. Their leader went down quick when Critically Glitching his Attack Roll with a Combat Shotgun on Full Auto, and managed to blow his own head off. This caused two of the kids to wet themselves and run. The Gunslinger Adept shot the guns out of the other three kids hands while the Technomancer tried to follow the Toxic Shaman.

The Runners then got a lead of on the Toxic Shaman which lead them to an Ork and Troll Bar in Loveland, where the Hot-Headed Adept picked a fight and both Runners managed to get the snot kicked out of them and were left for dead in the alley, where Tamorous picked them up.

The Runners woke up in Body Bags, luckily these Tamourus saved some Nuyen and got the type of body bags used for people with weird fetishes (I did my research and I looked up this up because I assumed regular body bags were air tight, so I found out the fetish ones actually do exist...ick) , not being able to guess the safeword to auto-unzip the bags wirelessly, the Technnomancer had to hack the bags to get out.

After recovering from their wounds, the Runners managed to track down Toxic Santa, but then were ambushed by a gang, who turned out to be quite incompetent, and were easily taken out by the team.

The characters then noticed Toxic Santa watching them a couple blocks away. As soon as the Shaman noticed the Runners noticing him he levitated his Harley Nightmare into the air and gave the Runners a two-handed one-finger salute, laughed, turned his back to the Runners, and flew off into the night, confident that the Runners no longer posed a threat. The Technomancer then assembled her Powered Easy Breakdown Sniper rifle and shot Santa in the back. (I had her make an Edge roll to see where the body would land, and how much would be left to potentially sell..) She rolled 3 dice and got 3 successes, so the body landed in an open dumpster filled with pillows, and they were able to collect the full bounty.  @#$! I ng beginner's luck!

I gave the Runners each a point (1 point total) of Noteriety for the Kid Dying and shooting at the kids. (Even though he accidentally blew his own head off, and the Gunslinger was shooting the guns out of their hands....), Plus they each got a 1 point Special Negative Quality!

SCROOGE (1 Point Negative Quality)

You hate Christmas... well, ok maybe you don't hate Christmas, but you did kill Santa. Not only did you kill Santa, you shot him in the back. Sure he was a Toxic Shaman who was causing death and mayhem, but he was the only Santa the Barrens had. Children instinctively fear and distrust you. You get -2 dice on all social interactions with children except for Intimidation rolls, which you get +2 dice.
« Last Edit: <12-28-16/0046:34> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-16/0035:00> »
Hey! What happened to the Puyallup "snow"?

Thanks for the write-up. I liked the open dumpster full of pillows, and the new negative quality. I also appreciate that they were on the wrong end of a bar brawl.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-29-16/0423:41> »
I used the Puyallup Snow to add to the setting for the final encounter.

Ashes fall around you like snow. Children make ash angels...

As you assemble your Sniper Rifle you hear a little girl say "Look Mommy it's Santa Claus! He is Real."  then there is the loud report of the sniper rifle shot, and Santa falls from his floating red Harley.  Then you hear the little girl scream. "Oh No! Santa!"

The team also encountered a Kill Deer (Reindeer).  I forgot to mention.

When they saw the Reindeer the Technomancer asks "Is it's nose glowing." "Yes it's nose is glowing.. and the rest of the animal's body is glowing as well."

I was worried it might have been a little powerful for the team, so I was going to have it make a Called Shot Attack targeting a specific part of the body like a Thigh or Arm, but Reindeer didn't even get a chance to do anything.  The Technomancer used an Edge for Initiative and rolled a 5, 5, 5, 6 and 6, giving her a 36 for Initiative. She destroyed the Reindeer with her Combat Shotgun.

Killdeer (Reindeer) is from the New Critter Book. Description Below.

[spoiler]KILLDEER
ODOCOILEUS PRAEDOR
Terrain: Plains/Forest
Diet: Carnivore
Activity: Diurnal
Aggro Index: 7.7
Length/Height: 1.4 m
Mass: 122 kg
Mother Nature and buried radioactive material are
often at odds, and such is the tale of the killdeer, a mutant
variation of Illinois’ famous white-tailed deer.
One of the first nuclear reactors in the world was buried
at Red Gate Woods in the southwest suburbs of Chi-
cago. While all the attention was on the CZ and the bug
spirits inhabiting the city’s inhabitants, outside of the CZ
life went on, but not the same as before. The loss of so
much territory and the fear of the bug spirits drove people
away in droves, leaving large areas of the suburbs
empty and in the hands of Mother Nature.
Deer populations rose quickly, and while introducing
a predatory species or allowing the population to die off
naturally have always had far better results, conservationists
thought they had a good way to bring the population
under control. They allowed increased hunting of
the local white tails, with no limit. Sport hunters came
out by the hundreds and left the forest preserves riddled
with deer corpses.
There were a few instances where hunters claimed
they were attacked by deer, but alcohol or drugs were
often involved as well. This was the first hint of the existence
of the killdeer.
My research shows the killdeer had been present in
predatory numbers since the late ’30s and possibly before,
but pre-Crash records are tough to find. They look
almost identical to a muscular white-tail buck. Only identifying
a jaw variation with teeth resembling those of a
wolf or coyote or noticing the sharpness of the antlers
could distinguish a killdeer from a standard white-tail.
Now what happens when you litter a place with food
for a predatory species. They feed and breed. Soon the
killdeer population started to rise. This simply looked to
conservationists like a balancing of the population. Joke
was on them!
Killdeer have now expanded their territory to match
their appetites and pushed out of traditional white-tail
deer habitats across the plains into the NAN, south into
the CAS, and east across the UCAS. While they began as
a radioactivity-induced mutation, they now breed pure
and eat anything they can kill.

[/spoiler]
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett