NEWS

What happened to Frosty's mom?

• 30 Replies

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« on: <09-01-16/0838:23> »
In the adventure Harlequin, the mad elf himself says "Before he so callously abandoned you as a child, or rather allowed you to be abandoned following your lovely mother's untimely demise, he placed a powerful spell lock on you."

So, what the heck happened to Frosty's mother?
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-02-16/1648:51> »
Who was Frosty's mom anyways?

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #2 on: <09-02-16/1659:32> »
So, what the heck happened to Frosty's mother?

She died.

On a semi-related not, I've just noticed that there's a Foster, J. listed among the Princes of Tir Tairngire in Storm Front. Is it actually Jane?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #3 on: <09-02-16/1825:59> »
On a semi-related not, I've just noticed that there's a Foster, J. listed among the Princes of Tir Tairngire in Storm Front. Is it actually Jane?
Nope, that would be Jake Foster, an ork.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-02-16/1831:32> »
Who was Frosty's mom anyways?

No idea, Harlequin's comment is literally the ONLY mention of her in lore. I get the feeling he knew her, though.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-02-16/1832:03> »

Thanks for the clarification. :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-02-16/1837:07> »

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Wonder if there is any relation?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #7 on: <09-03-16/0330:49> »
That would have been a too cruel a fate for harlequin if she was related to him. but if she was a lost love it also would explain why he and Ehran constantly butt heads. Is any of Ehran's wives actually mentioned anywhere?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-03-16/0339:16> »
That would have been a too cruel a fate for harlequin if she was related to him. but if she was a lost love it also would explain why he and Ehran constantly butt heads. Is any of Ehran's wives actually mentioned anywhere?

I love to joke that the duels between those two were caused by a lover's spat. A love triangle adds a whole new level to it.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #9 on: <09-11-16/0110:26> »
Because the immortality gene is recessive, it means that Frosty's mom must have been an Immortal Elf too.

She first appears in the Harlequin Adventure, right? She must have been like early 20-something in 2050 or so right? And it can be assumed that Frosty's mom was alive around the time of her birth, so she must have died in the 2030's, probably in the CAS. All of which are kind of weird, because Ehran was busy founding Tir Tairngire at the time. Frosty's mom must not have believed in the whole reviving the elf nation thing.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-11-16/0123:41> »
Because the immortality gene is recessive, it means that Frosty's mom must have been an Immortal Elf too.

She first appears in the Harlequin Adventure, right? She must have been like early 20-something in 2050 or so right? And it can be assumed that Frosty's mom was alive around the time of her birth, so she must have died in the 2030's, probably in the CAS. All of which are kind of weird, because Ehran was busy founding Tir Tairngire at the time. Frosty's mom must not have believed in the whole reviving the elf nation thing.

That depends on whether the immortality gene is autosomal recessive or X-linked recessive. If it's autosomal recessive, both parents have to carry the gene for it to express in the offspring. If it's X-linked, then only one parent has to carry it, but will only express in males. The exception to this is if both parents carry the gene, causing female offspring to inherit two copies of the gene.

If it's an X-linked recessive gene, Frosty's mother wouldn't need to be an immortal, she would only need to carry the gene in one of her X chromosomes.

Genetics is fun.

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-17-16/0132:59> »
Is there actually info given about an "immortal elf gene", or did you just make that up?

What I'm getting at is this:
Is Frosty considered an Immortal Elf, just because the other IE say she's one (being Ehran's daughter), or is there some objective proof that you could check if someone is?
Since we still don't know the lifespan of an Elf, is it possible that they're all Immortal (aka don't die of old age), but those we call IE are the only ones that survived the 5th age, while others didn't (for whatever reason)?

I'm sure that's been discussed ad nauseam, but it's something that just popped into my head.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-17-16/0151:42> »
Is there actually info given about an "immortal elf gene", or did you just make that up?

Is Frosty considered an Immortal Elf, just because the other IE say she's one (being Ehran's daughter), or is there some objective proof that you could check if someone is?
Since we still don't know the lifespan of an Elf, is it possible that they're all Immortal (aka don't die of old age), but those we call IE are the only ones that survived the 5th age, while others didn't (for whatever reason)?

I'm sure that's been discussed ad nauseam, but it's something that just popped into my head.

That's how actual recessive gene inheritance works IRL. As far as all of them being immortal? Who knows?

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-17-16/0448:38> »
Since we still don't know the lifespan of an Elf

Two or three centuries at least, according to Earthdawn.
(Groucho Marx)

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <09-17-16/0940:52> »
To the genetics: I only remember that the genetics of immortality were discussed in Tir Tairngire, the so-called "stopwatch complex".

Where is it stated that there is an "immortality gene" and it's recessive?

Anyway if it is recessive, then her mother does _not_ have to be an immortal elf. If an allele of a gene is recessive it will not (or mostly not) be expressed unless the allele is present on both chromosomes, otherwise its expression is suppressed (it is dominated) by the other allele. So there are individuals that can pass the recessive allele on, though its effects are not visible in their phenotype.

I think Frosty gets counted because Ehran singled her out in his monitoring of what was probably offspring of immortals (maybe only his own). All the monitoring had been terminated at some point between 14 months and 40 years ago (from 2050), after the individual under observation had shown a serious illness or had reached an age of around 40. Only Frosty's information had been deleted to obscure it.

In Earthdawn there was a magical way of identifying immortals (dragonkin) and there may be a scientific method that was employed in this montoring too.

400 years as the maximum in Earthdawn, the scientific estimate in Shadowrun is several hundred years. So, indeed we can be only sure about those elves that are known to have been born before that. I don't think we even know that for Ehran.