NEWS

[5e] Run! Recruitment [2075/6 Persistent Game World Thread]

• 61 Replies

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-06-16/0732:02> »
Hi, I am working on a character, an unarmed fighter.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <06-06-16/0801:29> »
Two quick questions:
-   Do the characters have to come from a particular area (e.g. Seattle), or will they potentially be from all over? (I think amnesia was only common, not universal, so I presume that should we choose not to take it, character background applies)  (For that matter, while I’d assume having English is wise, this could make language skills handy?)
-   Should we bother with contacts?  (doing them is not an issue, and might help flesh the character out, but at the same time it could be more text to wade through if they’ll never enter into the game.
Most of the characters will be from Seattle but there's no actual need for them to all be from there.  For the sake of my sanity please at least have English as a common language - doesn't have to be your first language but a working knowledge please!

If you want to do contacts as a 'fleshing out background' thing then fine by me, I will read them and they are worth bonus karma - but I very much doubt they will feature in the game so if your time is pressing I wouldn't worry about it!

I don't plan to start IC this week, will give you all a chance to put something together and get it on OP...hopefully I will draft an IC for Dumpshock this week and start next...!  I ought to open a recruitment thread there too for completeness :P
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-06-16/0958:31> »
Maya is up on OP for GM review and comment.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #18 on: <06-06-16/1005:01> »
Thanks for the answers Aria!  I'll try to have a character chosen and posted this week*.  But I guess I'll do any further posting over on Dumpshock where things will be carrying forward (and access is quicker).  My user name over there is 'Betx' (over here I changed it to the easier to pronounce Beta, but there is no obvious way to change your user name on Dumpshock).

* the hard part, really, is the  choosing -- so many options that you'd never normally play!  Do I go with the gangly troll coming off a growth spurt and wearing serious braces to better align their tusks?  The natural leader who will try to keep the group working together (who in a book would be doomed to be killed off about 2/3 of the way through as an indication that things are now going to get really bad), the complete spoiled party prince/princess who may have more transferable skills than is at first apparent?  The junior McGyver who could be key to taking advantage of stuff later on, if they can can just survive the first week?  So many delicious options  ;D

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-06-16/1454:36> »
** Table talk to other players **

Obviously survival, and the outdoor skill group in general, are likely to be valuable here, and we’ll all come up with character concepts which may dictate much of what skills and other goodness the characters have.  However I often find when building a character that there is a potential to lose only a little bit of optimization in order to have a secondary ‘thing,’ and to me this is a game where those secondary things could become important (because the usual support networks of contacts and run-to-the store aren’t available). 

While thinking about such things for my own character, I came up with quite a list of things that could be useful, and which might be possible within a variety of character concepts, and which could be handy in what is to come (presuming that the group cooperates at all).  Some skills, some ‘ware, some require both.  Not all are equally likely (some would be a substantial investment for something that may never be of use), and not all are equally priority and certainly none are necessary by any means – this is more of a brain dump than anything, in case anyone was looking for inspiration on what twists they could add  to their character.
-   Thermographic vision
-   Ultrasound
-   Something internal that has a sleaze or attack rating, and some skills to back it up, in case we find electronics eventually
-   A cyber-(hand or larger) with a lock-pick finger, and skill to use it
-   Implanted blades, to give us at least a basic blade for cutting small things
-   Excellent climbing skills, possibly backed by climbing claws
-   High underwater skills (swimming, possibly backed by ‘ware)
-   Repair abilities (lack of tools could be an issue), both for mechanics and weapons, and probably hardware too
-   Jury-rigging skills (or at least the jury-rigging quality) for improvising tools and gear
-   At least two characters with internal commlinks, for some moderate distance communication and coordination
-   A mix of different combat skills, should weapons be found, so that we can take advantage of what is scavenged (I could see everyone taking unarmed to make sure they can do _something_ and then we find a machete, have to deal with hell hounds, and everyone ignores the blade as they proceed to try and punch and kick the hounds).
-   Asensing, so we know when we are dealing with magic (only requires priority D, and would come with some other magic bonuses)
-   Magic, even if it is gimped.  Not so much for combat, but detection, healing, barriers, levitation, etc. (although never underestimate the utility of being able to chuck a combat spell or two)
-   An internal first-aid kit (I think also requires a cyber-limb, which could be a stretch for kids), along with skills to use it
-   Artisan skill, the general skill behind hand-crafting things.  Associated specialities or knowledge skills in anything that would help make things out of wood, twigs, grasses, rocks, or hair would help propel that up a notch.

In other PbP games I’m playing a support mage dealing with near constant back-ground counts in Chicago, and a locksmith/pseudo-hacker (using commlink games to get a sleaze rating), so I’m not likely to run either of those concepts here --, and if I won’t do it, I don’t much expect anyone else to either, but thought I’d mention them.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« Reply #20 on: <06-06-16/1555:23> »
** Table talk to other players **

Obviously survival, and the outdoor skill group in general, are likely to be valuable here, and we’ll all come up with character concepts which may dictate much of what skills and other goodness the characters have.  However I often find when building a character that there is a potential to lose only a little bit of optimization in order to have a secondary ‘thing,’ and to me this is a game where those secondary things could become important (because the usual support networks of contacts and run-to-the store aren’t available). 

While thinking about such things for my own character, I came up with quite a list of things that could be useful, and which might be possible within a variety of character concepts, and which could be handy in what is to come (presuming that the group cooperates at all).  Some skills, some ‘ware, some require both.  Not all are equally likely (some would be a substantial investment for something that may never be of use), and not all are equally priority and certainly none are necessary by any means – this is more of a brain dump than anything, in case anyone was looking for inspiration on what twists they could add  to their character.
-   Thermographic vision
-   Ultrasound
-   Something internal that has a sleaze or attack rating, and some skills to back it up, in case we find electronics eventually
-   A cyber-(hand or larger) with a lock-pick finger, and skill to use it
-   Implanted blades, to give us at least a basic blade for cutting small things
-   Excellent climbing skills, possibly backed by climbing claws
-   High underwater skills (swimming, possibly backed by ‘ware)
-   Repair abilities (lack of tools could be an issue), both for mechanics and weapons, and probably hardware too
-   Jury-rigging skills (or at least the jury-rigging quality) for improvising tools and gear
-   At least two characters with internal commlinks, for some moderate distance communication and coordination
-   A mix of different combat skills, should weapons be found, so that we can take advantage of what is scavenged (I could see everyone taking unarmed to make sure they can do _something_ and then we find a machete, have to deal with hell hounds, and everyone ignores the blade as they proceed to try and punch and kick the hounds).
-   Asensing, so we know when we are dealing with magic (only requires priority D, and would come with some other magic bonuses)
-   Magic, even if it is gimped.  Not so much for combat, but detection, healing, barriers, levitation, etc. (although never underestimate the utility of being able to chuck a combat spell or two)
-   An internal first-aid kit (I think also requires a cyber-limb, which could be a stretch for kids), along with skills to use it
-   Artisan skill, the general skill behind hand-crafting things.  Associated specialities or knowledge skills in anything that would help make things out of wood, twigs, grasses, rocks, or hair would help propel that up a notch.

In other PbP games I’m playing a support mage dealing with near constant back-ground counts in Chicago, and a locksmith/pseudo-hacker (using commlink games to get a sleaze rating), so I’m not likely to run either of those concepts here --, and if I won’t do it, I don’t much expect anyone else to either, but thought I’d mention them.

The Dragonslayer encouraged Vincent to learn psychology in order to psyche out his bullies provide the advantage of mind games in the form of intimitation. He is mostly gonna be support for a while. I made him like this on purpose. He is gonna have to learn from others how to tow the line. Child Psychology should be a useful skill though. But ultimately I made him for roleplay purposes. He may not be the BEST but he doesn't have to be. He just needs to make himself useful as the kid and work his way up. Thats how I see it. He is 12 after all.
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <06-06-16/1749:01> »
Please don't feel you need to be all outdoor survivalist types, you will come from all walks of life and it is highly unlikely that many of you will have walked through any kind of wilderness before! Scout camping perhaps?

And while I'm at, spare a thought to skill levels, are you likely to be rocking lots of skills at 6 as a kid? This is a chance to make a broader character than you might normally do for SR!? Just a thought, I don't really want to dictate your characters to you!
« Last Edit: <06-06-16/1756:08> by Aria »

Irn0rchid

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <06-06-16/1754:35> »
No worries, my char has never left the city. :P

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <06-06-16/1816:47> »
Please don't feel you need to be all outdoor survivalist types, you will come from all walks of life and it is highly unlikely that many of you will have walked through any kind of wilderness before! Scout camping perhaps?

And while I'm at, spare a thought to skill levels, are you likely to be rocking lots of skills at 6 as a kid? This is a chance to make a broader character than you might normally do for SR!? Just a thought, I don't really want to dictate your characters to you!

Vincent has a lot of low level fighting skills due to his training not taking off yet. His sixes are all natural talents. Being 12 and put into combat focus tutoring would teach him a bit about the basics of guns and maintenance of them along with some weapons training. Maybe I should give him some Ground Forces Tactics as a Knowledge Skill. Even if its just one point.
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <06-07-16/0203:51> »
Given the above advice, I will need to relook at my character and see if I cannot branch her out a bit more.  Please consider the character sheet for Maya a work in progress.  LOL
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <06-07-16/0249:30> »
There's plenty of time, only had 2 characters posted on OP so far  :)

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <06-08-16/0834:56> »
@Raider (and others) in case you didn't see my comment on DS: don't forget the background count is going to wipe out some of your low level powers in terms of usefulness... I'm not saying you should get rid of them but they are going to be flavour rather than game effect!  At least until one of you gets some sort of cleansing or you reach a location that has been cleansed!

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <06-08-16/0858:28> »
@Raider (and others) in case you didn't see my comment on DS: don't forget the background count is going to wipe out some of your low level powers in terms of usefulness... I'm not saying you should get rid of them but they are going to be flavour rather than game effect!  At least until one of you gets some sort of cleansing or you reach a location that has been cleansed!

It isn't that the background count shuts down powers, just that the background may cause more penalties than the power grants bonuses. 

And let's see, I seem to recall someone by the name of Aria mentioning how useful a 0.5PP power called Heightened Concentration (or Heightened Concern in the book) is for dealing with penalties ;-)  Granted that if it is preventing the background count penalty, it isn't helping deal with low-light penalty or whatever else.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <06-08-16/1142:30> »
Absolutely, just don't forget the power, I don't think Raider's character has it, but I may have missed it :P

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <06-08-16/1245:42> »
Ah. Well if I changed all of them just to reflect the background count factor that would be metagaming imo which is a slippery slope... and even now its tempting to just juryrig everything in my favor but from a roleplay perspective it would make more sense for Vincent to aim to try and get used to the background count through practice. He is far too stubborn to give up the powers he worked so hard to use. So I guess I am gonna aim for the Home Ground quaility.
Edit: WAIT THERE IS AN ADEPT POWER FOR THIS!? Be right back...

Edit 2: Okay sue me. I traded Mystic Armor Rating 2 for the abillity to use all my other powers. Magic Rating 7 ftw! The ingame excuse is The Dragonslayer knew he would be leading Vincent into hostile and dangerous places so taught him how to calm down the magic in him. Still got rid of the foci though. It would end up fizzling anyway. Oh and since this power didnt show up in SR5 or Street Grimoire here it is direct from a google search!

HEIGHTENED CONCERN COST: 0.5 The adept can ignore a single distraction while performing another task. This power negates a single situational modifier of a value of up to half (rounded up) of their Magic Attribute. It takes a Complex Action to activate and may be combined with the Adept Centering metamagic.
« Last Edit: <06-08-16/1301:34> by Raiderjoseph »
Thoughts
Mentor