NEWS

Tangled Currents - Paladin

• 28 Replies

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <04-08-16/2316:01> »
He nods to Kai-Lin "Understood, I will be prepared by this afternoon. Where can I get a hold of Shou Zhen to coordinate the software and other information?"
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <04-08-16/2356:36> »
The woman points to the room just behind you.  As you leave the room you turn left and go to the next door.  Knocking, you hear a woman call out for you to enter.  The room is exactly the same as the other, except that it does not have any table.  The smell is as unpleasant and the light as dim.  There is an oriental woman on the bed in a yoga position, with her legs crossed and her arms balanced on her knees, palms up.  Her eyes are closed and she is softly chanting.  As you enter, she opens her eyes and unfolds herself to stand in front of you.  If Kai-lin was homely, Shou Zhen is exactly what one imagines when they think of delicate oriental china dolls.  She holds out a hand to you.  "Mister Bennett, how do you do.  Since you are here, I have to assume that you have pleased Kai-lin enough to be offered the job.  Congratulations.  She is a demanding employer, but she will grow on you.  I am her assistant.  Sadly, I was the only other person to survive the attack on our team yesterday afternoon.  We have been on the move since.  Perhaps that will change now.  I am technical, surveillance, commodity, and........well, just about everything support right now.  How may assist you in keeping Kai-lin alive?"
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <04-09-16/0014:53> »
Taking the woman's hand, he nods. "Please, call me Paladin. Mr. Bennett was my father. You are correct, I will be providing personal protection for Kai-Lin and by extension you. My immediate needs are a translation program and a point to meet up once I have gathered my belongings." Letting go of her hand, Paladin assumes a parade rest. "Kai-lin also mentioned you be able to provide me information on the groups we will be meeting with. Additionally if you can recall any details about the attack or information on the attackers that might also prove useful."  He reaches into a pocket and pulls out his 'link. "I am unsure what communication or anti surveillance protocols you are running - is there anything you need from me?"

He steps back, allowing his senses to soak in details about Shou Zhen. If he is going to keep Kai-Lin alive through this he will need her help as well - so his job is going to be keep them both alive.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <04-09-16/0107:50> »
Shou Zhen smiles at you.  She is barely five feet tall and would likely weigh in at less than a hundred pounds when wet.  Her jet black hair is cut short and hangs straight to just above her collar.  You can tell little of her figure as she is dressed in loose-fitting sweats.  She walks on bare feet to the end of the bed and bends over to lift an attaché case up and opening it.  She takes out two cards the size of common hotel room keys and hands them to you.  "Paladin.  I like that name.  This card is for the room at the Excelsior.  It is a small hotel a couple of grades better than this palace.  The room is 113.  we will be headed there as soon as we leave here.  The second card is a library card."  She looks up at your face. and grins impishly.  "Gotcha.  OK, it is not a library card.  But it does have my commcode, which you will probably find more useful.  I will get a packet together for you of the aftermath of the attack.  Not much there as we did not stick around too long.  I will also get you what information I can on the people we are to meet."

She moves to look over your shoulder at your 'link.  "I am running some pretty serious software for security, but am always interested in an upgrade.  Would you like to tie into my PAN?"
« Last Edit: <04-09-16/1023:27> by Mercy Merchant »

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-09-16/1021:33> »
Despite himself, Paladin can't help but smile at the view he is presented. *Down boy. Focus on work, that's what you are here for and distractions can be deadly*

chuckling, he accepts the cards from Shou "Darn, was hoping to get some reading done while i was here. And I am reasonably sure the alley outside my doss is a couple grades higher than this place."

He inputs her commcode into his 'link, turning around to show her the device. "Not much to this, it's a basic unit. Likely as not to make your PAN laugh but given how close we will be working it makes sense to tie in." He hands her the link. "Appreciate the intel, Shou. The more I know, the easier it will be to keep you and Kai-Lin alive and back home."

Once she is finished, he heads out the door. "Unless you have any questions for me, or need anything else I'd best gather my things and meet you both at the Excelsior"

*And maybe find out a bit more about and our employer*

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-09-16/1036:59> »
Shou Zhen lets you get to the door before saying, "Oh, almost forgot.  The fourth member of the team, now that you are on board, is Grace.  No idea who she really is, or maybe what she really looks like for that matter.  She was with Kai-lin before me.  She is our infiltration expert.  She was off doing something when we were attacked.  You gave her money for food outside the hotel.  Please tell her to come up as you leave.  And, welcome to the team."

You pass a hooker with a john in tow as you descend the stairway.  The bored man is still watching his match, or maybe it is another one as the uniforms do not look the same as when you came in.  He cackles at you as you pass.  "Good enough to keep you busy this long, eh.  More talent than looks, I guess."  He breaks into a hacking laughter as you pass him on the way out.  Back in the street, not much has changed.  The creepy girl is sitting on the sidewalk, munching on some sort of soy product that vaguely resembles a sandwich.  She raises it as you exit the hotel.  "Thanks, mister.  I was hungry.  Got any more spare cash?"

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <04-09-16/1140:13> »
*Impressive* "Wow, that is some good work then. If you didn't just tell me, I'd never have guessed." Paladin takes her hand again before he turns to leave "Will do - and thank you, I will see you both at the Excelsior this afternoon."

Heading down the steps, Paladin watches the joygirl and customer before turning to fix the clerk with a stare that bores through him. "You should stop talking"  Heading out of the flophouse, he sees the girl Shou identified as Grace. *Even knowing that's her, that's a damned impressive disguise. He shakes his head at her question. "Sorry I don't but I am sure Shou does, she said to go see her."

Paladin turns and heads to his place. After about a block he types a quick message to The Sir <<Got the job, thanks again for the tip. Need some intel if you can spare the time, usual rates. Wondering about a Triad named Kai-lin, her assistant named Shou Zhen and a possible infiltration expert goes by Grace. Appreciate it.>>

Once at the apartment, he gathers what few items he has, changing into his suit and packing a light bag. *Amazing how much of a life can fit in to a small bag*

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <04-09-16/1311:03> »
From Mercy via email:

As you walk away from the chipper, you hear her call out, “Fragger.” Twenty steps beyond her you hear her call out,  “Hey, you two chummers looking for some company?  For fifty I do one, but for eighty I take care of both of ya.  What do you say?”
You hear two male voices laughing. “What makes you think a chipslut like you is worth even ten?  Come on, Jack, we can find better.  Can you imagine that asking for fifty?”  More laughter as you round the corner and head off to your place, which certainly seems palatial compared to the room you were just in.  On the way, you get a near immediate response from The Sir, >>Congrats, kid.  Glad the tip paid off.  Triads, eh?  Be careful there.  Are you working for them or against them?  I will see what I can dig up on those names.  Out.<<
Once back at your room, you are startled to realize that so much of your life fits into a duffle.  But it has been that way ever since you signed up.  You have never owned much and so did not have much to lose when you left.  Maybe someday you can buy up a property somewhere and settle down with someone you care about and…………………..  The voice that comes to your mind to interrupt that line of thought is that of your first Senior DI; Gunnery Sergeant Miller.  What a fragging sadist he was.  “Stop that, Marine.  If you were supposed to have a house and family it would have been issued to you.  You have a mission to accomplish.”

The job is supposed to only take two weeks so you do not need to close the lease on this place.  Looking around, you try to think if you have forgotten anything.  No.  Not much to forget about this place.  Walking down the stairs, you see the cute blonde from the room next to yours bending down and talking to her kid.  She might be a single mom as there never seems to be a guy around.  You think her name is Doris, but are not sure.  She stands as you come down and smiles at you.  “Hey, neighbor, how you doing?  Nice suit.” The woman looks to be in her mid-twenties and is dressed in the standard for this area; jeans, T-shirt, and sandals.  Long blonde hair hangs down her back in a ponytail and she appears to be "athletic", which is man-code for skinny and smallish boobs, but her butt had looked pretty nice.  The kid looks to be about six and is staring at you as you come up.  She holds out a hand and motions to the kid with the other. “Name’s Dorcas, by the way.  I don’t think we have really met except to say hello.  This little terror is Mike.” She notices your bag and frowns a bit, “Not moving out, I hope?  You’re a nice, quiet neighbor.  Not at all like the last guy that lived there and I hate to think of who will take your room if you go.  Always some sort of neighbor roulette around here.”

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <04-10-16/2312:05> »
Paladin can almost hear The Sir laugh as he response >> Thanks, and the answer is a qualified 'Yes' <<

*You were a sick fragger Miller but you ain't wrong. Pack light, move fast - keep your eye on the target. Focus and discipline is our advantage over any enemy, no matter how well armed. Funny how, years later and after ever that has occurred, the motto from his DipSec days is right there like no time had passed. Paladin grabbed his kit and headed out the door to his doss. *Time to get going. I have a Triad boss to protect and a reputation to rebuld.

Paladin takes her, and smiles "No, ma'am. Just an extended work detail, so I figured better to have a couple things with me. And thanks, I appreciate the compliment - I try to be considerate." Paladin gets down on his toes and holds his hand out to Mike. "Well hello there sir, hope you aren't giving your mom too much trouble" He stands up again, and smiles at Dorcas "Well, sorry to run but unfortunately work calls. Hope to see you around sometime. And remember Mike, be nice to your mom."

Exiting the building, Paladin heads out until he can hail a cab. Giving the address for the Excelsior he calls Shou Zhen's commcode >>Paladin inbound<<
« Last Edit: <04-10-16/2315:13> by Digital_Viking »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <04-11-16/0014:43> »
Mikes you a dutiful salute.  "Yes, sir."  The cab short walk and cab ride are uneventful.  Almost.  Just before the cab pulls up at the Excelsior, you get a message.  >>Kid.  Initial public check reveals absolutely nothing about any of those names you gave me. I have contacted a guy who will do some additional digging for us.  Be extra careful on this.  Out<<

Leaving the cab, you enter the excelsior through a door held open by a uniformed doorman.  He tips his hat and bids you a good day as you enter past him.  The clientele inside the lobby seems to be dressed much as you are, which leads you to give yourself a pat on the back for again choosing the appropriate clothing for the task, which leads you to determining that some more of that old DipSec training is still with you..  The lobby is expansive and well maintained with out seeming ostentatious.  A careful glance shows signs of wear and tear in the decor and in the quality of the uniforms that the staff is wearing.  The key you were given has the room number on it and you can see the elevator bank from the entrance.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <04-11-16/2329:34> »
>>Understood. Appreciate the heads up, I'll stay frosty. Out<<. Paladin takes this information in as he steps into the Excelsior. *Could be hunky, but could also be indcative of how good they are at keeping a low profile.*

As he moves through the lobby, Paladin goes into Tactical Mode - noticing cover, concealment, exits and dead ends. How the staff moves, where they are stationed and how staff and customers flow through the lobby are all filed away in his brain. Before he is halfway to the elevators, Paladin has 5 different routes to exfil  Kai-lin and Shou Zhen. Exiting the elevator that number is 3. Not ideal, but not the worst either. *Corpus Christi - THAT was a tough one..*

At the door, Paladin continues to modify his exfil routes as he sees more of the layout. *Need to ask Shou for the layout of this place* He sets his bag down, as he knocks, then inserts the key into the door, allowing his hand to be able to reach a pistol if necessary. 

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <04-11-16/2348:22> »
The door opens into a fairly nice but standard size hotel room.  A bathroom is just off to the left of the door and a closet to the right.  The room itself has one queen-sized bed facing a large trid screen mounted above a bureau.  There is a small table with two chairs sitting in a small space between the bed and the far wall.  A window in that wall opens to a view of the sprawl.  What you can see of it, anyway.  A small commlink attached to the bureau by a this chain buzzes as you put your bag down.  Picking it up, you hear Shou Zhen.  Welcome to the Excelsior, Mister Bennett.  Please make yourself comfortable for two hours.  Kai-lin would like to see you in the adjoining room at that time.  Wear what you are currently dressed in, please."

The connection is cut and you have two hours to burn.  There is a closed door that should lead to the next room in the wall near the bureau.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <04-21-16/2349:33> »
Sitting crosslegged on the bed, Paladin closes his eyes and begins to run through the hotel layout from hotel entry to room entry, going back and forth. Playing possible scenarios, Paladin makes mental notes regarding best routes to exfil an possible ambush spots. He adds the room layout as well to possible scenarios and plans, including where to defend against a possible attack.

*Need to talk to Shou about drones for added coverage* he reminds himself.

Paladin checks his weapons and adjusts his holsters for maximum draw speed and once the 2 hours is up, goes to the door and knocks before entering.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <04-22-16/0021:31> »
A woman's voice on the other side of the door bids you to enter and you pass into the next room.  It is pretty much exactly like yours.  Kai-lin Is sitting at the table with her back to the corner and the drapes drawn across the window, leaving the room a little dim.  She motions for you to sit at the other chair.  "Thank you for being on time, Mister Bennet.  I admire that.  I assume that you have your things with you.  I have had to rearrange some of my schedule to account for an unforeseen circumstance.  I am now to meet with a potential mid-level contact tonight at a club in Touristville called Eden's Apple.  Are you familiar with it, by any chance?"